Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the following lever action rifles do you believe to be the best of the best: Winchester 1886, 92, 94? Browning 86, 92? Savage 99? Marlin 1895 (Sporter, Guide Gun, Cowboy)? Any others not mentioned?

Thanks for responding,
Timberwolf :eek:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Best for what? I have a 92 in 25-20 that I greatly enjoy shooting at targets and vermin. I don't do much medium-big game hunting with a lever gun because I don't have anything larger than a 30-30. I really do like the 1886's that I've fired.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Wow, Timberwolf, what a way to invite dissention amongst the ranks!:D

I don't think there's any right answer to this one without offending someone and their pet gun! :eek:

However, I do have a sweet tooth for John Moses Browning's 1886 and it's little brother the 1892! Regardless of who made them, either in original guise or repros, I like them both! Probably the most used year 'round leverguns in my stable are 92's in .357. They're light, easy packing carbines with butter smooth actions (after a little tuning) that shoot as well as I can see through peep sights or over traditional irons.

Now to play the fence.... I've got a particular soft spot for the Marlins as well, and appreciate their simplicity of design, ease of take-down, and few moving parts, as well as the fact that the cartridge lifter actuates on the upstroke of the lever rather than relying on a sharp downstroke of the lever as in the Browning designed lever actions. (86's, 71's, 92's and 86's)

For my big-bore hunting guns I prefer the Marlin just because it's significantly lighter than the 86's, has the solid receiver top true side ejection, and don't rattle as I'm still hunting. (It also might be that my budget wont' support a multitude of 86's either!)

This should be a fun thread!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does it have to be just one??????????

I gotta confess that I pretty much like 'em all, as long as there is a lever under the receiver! Just last week I picked up my 336D "Mini-Guide Gun" out of layaway and I really like the way the guide guns handle and point. I'm also wery impressed with the quality of this Marlin and I've already got the itch to find a big brother in .450 or 45/70 as well as maybe an 1894 in .44 Magnum.

Long story short, the Marlins really impress me and I wish I had looked closer at them years ago. Winchester is in serious need of quality control lately from what I have seen in the rack.

:(

·
Banned
5 Posts
the only long gun in my colection that never colects any dust is the 1895gs

i sees almost as much use as my concealed carry gun (glock 32 .357sig)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own 94's 92's and marlins....But the ONE I like best and shoot most is a SS Rossi 92 in 45 colt. I am workin on a 94 in 45 colt as my general purpose/grab and go, its gonna have a synthetic stock, and a scout scope.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'll sound off for the benefit of the Savage 99. The have such a wonderful balance, accuratte, mild of voice, and low of recoil. I reckon once a fellow gets used to one, he would be about hooked.

Good shooting,

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
No Dissention here.
The Best of the Best is always the one in yer hands at the time. I've got Marlin's, Savage's and Winchester's. Calibers range from .22 too 45-70. They are all great.
Long Live the Levers !!!

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Distention I don't see any yet! However if your talking about hunting big game animals, there's only a couple in my stable that will get a saddle thrown on their backs.......both are Marlin's in a Triple 4 and the renowned 45/70. Now both pack a heavy weight punch and are very accurate as well using hard cast bullets.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Timber
Your a trouble maker- Ah Leverguns I'm relatively new to this crew as I only have one at the moment a Win 94, 45 LC but I'm in the process of expanding it to a Rossi 92, 454 Casull. So I guess I'm hooked! The 94 hasn't disappointed me yet -love to shoot it as I'm sure the 92 will be just as fun.
The 94 will be my girls deer /elk gun when she gets around to getting her hunting lincense! The 92 will be with me on my hunts this year as a companion to my SRH. Spring Bear is just around the corner so it might see some action quickly after I get it.:D

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Personally, at the end of the day, I could be very content with nothing but a couple of Savage 99's for all my rifle hunting needs. A .250 for anything smaller than mule deer and a .358 on 'tuther side. As the owner of several Marlins and Winchesters over the years, the Savage 99 is my favorite without a doubt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best of the best eh? It's hard to figure why, but none of my top three choices are being built today.The Winchester Model 71, Winchester Model 1886, and Savage Model '99, all about equal in my opinion. These were the best of the best, but cost Winchester and Savage too much to build so they're gone. I think today they would sell well because a lot of us are willing to pay a little more for a high quality, smooth, strong, well built rifle, with balance and class.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Savage M99

The Savage M99 without a doubt. Can except COL of 2.825,factory cartridges loaded to 56,000psi.But will take over 60,000psi(like in my 416-284 McPherson).Spitzers bullets,rotary mag,comes in cartridges like 22/250,7MM/08,243Win,284Win,250 Savage,308Win,358Win,375Win(those are the hot ones)and others.Whats not to like.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm hoping that my new favorite gets here soon. Got a Rossi 454 M92 on the way in stainless. Kinda like the week before x-mas around my house right now wating for the big day. Can't see any reason why this little carbine won't fall in a niche of it's own and provide fun like the preacher said, "til death do us part."

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've owned several Win 94's, and presently own a Marlin 1895 G, and a model 88 Winchester. I've made several modifications to the guide gun, and really love it, but at this point it has not approached the absolutely superb service the 88 has given me for many years. However, they are 2 fundamentally different lever actions. The GG in it's carbine length and 45-70 serves a totally different purpose to me than the scoped, rifle in .308.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have to say any John Browning design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts