Shooters Forum banner

Which Is The Better Hunter?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Joel B 
#1 ·
i am itching to get a new hunting rifle. i have, since childhood wanted an m1 garand and i am now seeing this as my chance. I would have to settle for a ultimak because, as a left-handed shooter, i can't shoot with the sight off to the left. therefore i have a problem, wether to get the garand or to pass up and get a modern let handed bolt action. please help with my choice. and i was thinking tikka T3 in 30-06 for the bolt action, and weight is no issue, i am fit and easily carry my 8 pound BPS 12 gauge along with 4-6 boxes of ammo all day.

#2 ·
It really depends on what you want. Me personally, I would never use a M1 for hunting. My stepson and I used to have this same argument all the time. He wanted one, I thought it was ridiculous choice. Waaaaay to heavy for me. I also don't really like semi-auto for hunting.

But, it's your choice and your money.

#3 ·
I always use bolt rifles for hunting (except the one year I used my Grandpa's 30-30 lever gun). My second choice would be a single shot.

I hunt a lot of cold and nasty weather conditions, so I want my hunting rifles to be as simple as possible.

#7 ·
Just from the hunting side of it, the M1 seems to be a rather long arm. In most hunting scenarios, this will prove to awkward and sometimes create a negative outcome. The bolt or single shots are decidedly shorter, and in most cases will be advantagious. Tree stand: nod to shorter guns, because of limbs. Ground blind: more difficult to catch movement of a shorter gun. While the M1 peaks out the nostalgia meter, as a hunting arm...there are MANY others that are far more practical.

#9 ·
tikka bolt, m1 semi

the only semi id consider is the m1, i like some others but the m1 is far and away my favorite semi ive ever shot, and tikka is simply cause i cannot afford a sako but love the feel. so what I'm hearing is bolt for hunting?

#13 · (Edited)
This is what I used to say to my step son. Do you want to hunt or play army. I believe in the right to own any and all guns that you want to own. I also believe in using the right tool for the job. The M1 is a fine rifle no doubt. But its not a hunting rifle. It was a rifle designed and built to shoot people.

So do you want to hunt or play army? That M1 costs more than the Sako doesn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.