Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a well-used 94 with pre crossbolt safety.  Wood refinished, blueing 85%.  Cycled 3 rounds smoothly. Some dings in wood.  Guy's lowest price was &#36280.  Then saw a brand new '94S for &#36357 (plus &#3610 check) that cycled very smoothly.  Got to thinkin: what's more important? New and I brake it in or used and I don't have a clue who's fired what in it or how it was really treated.  Any ideas?  Also, would you ever use this gun on Rooseveldt Elk  within 100 yards with proper bullet and shot placement a given? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
6gunr,

Tough call!  Cosmetically, the new guns are shure sweet, the cut checkering, the nice satin finished wood, and ballard cut rifling make them a very attractive package.

Except, <span style='color:maroon'>I HATE THOSE CROSSBOLT SAFETIES ON LEVER GUNS!!!</span>  They are the perfect solution to a non-existant problem!  I think that I would surely opt for the older gun without this abomination if it were available!  You could always call Marlin and buy the new, nice wood for it, and upgade it very easily.  Also, you should be able to buy that gun for about &#36250.00.  Do some haggling with them, it's not like hunting season starts next week, Christmas is over and business will be slow for quite a while... bet he gives in!

As for backing down from Roosevelt elk with that carbine and a 280g+ bullet... NEVER!  You have plenty of venim for any elk out to 150 yards with reasonably placed shots and stout charges of W296/H110!  In fact, those .44-280's can be launched at nearly 1700 fps out of that little carbine!

You must be in Oregon or Washington to be hunting Roosevelt elk... where abouts are you from?

Remember, these are only my opinions, but I think I'd rather take the older gun, talk the seller down to &#36250, then spend &#3670 or so and get new wood for it, and have a nice looking gun without the crossbolt safety!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
739 Posts
Marshall,
Pardon me for butting into this thread but, I totally agree with you about the cross bolt safties.  They and the rebounding hammers are an abomination.  I WILL NOT buy them!
6gunr,
Marshall is right buy the older used carbine.  I would love to have one.  And if I couldn't talk the seller down I would rather pay a little more than buy a new one.  

·
Registered
69 Posts
6gunr, like Mr. Stanton, I'm assuming you're in Washington or Oregon if Roosevelt elk are on your hunting plate.  As for the price of the rifle, I'm pretty sure you can do better.  If you post the general location you live, I can probably suggest a gunshop or two.  Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That pre-cross bolt safety Marlin '94 was sold for &#36280.  I just couldn't see paying quite that high for the rifle.He wouldn't come down on the price.  Live in the Salem area and will keep my eyes open.  I understand that a false screw is available to be placed in the slot where the cross bolt safey goes.  Maybe a new gun is the way to go with that in mind.  Any thoughts, Marshall?

·
Registered
50 Posts
6gunr,
Old is good. Take your time and be selective, many great old guns are out there that have spent years in the cabinet. Appreciation of the quality and workmanship in older guns really adds to my enjoyment of hunting with them. My 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts