Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Englander- I hate to cast confusion into the mix here but, My 180 gr RCBS mould has an undersized nose, and my Lyman 169 gr. is a snug fit in the rifling. The point is, all moulds are individuals and should always be regarded as such. Pick out the bullet design you like and run with the ball. For my uses (hunting), I prefer the RCBS design for the extra weight, which I feel is advantageous for penetration. Are you going to hunt with cast or target shoot? For target shooting, I'd consider something around 200 grains, I have friends who use the Lyman .303 bullet in rifles with larger throats with excellent results. I have the same mould, but haven't tried it in .308 yet. Happy experimenting!!

· Registered
287 Posts
Englander- Cool!! A man after my own heart. I'd try (and am trying) the RCBS bullet first, simply because of it's (slightly) greater weight and flat nose. Try starting out with an alloy that'll give you about 13-15 bhn to start with and see what kind of accuracy you get. I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of super hard bullets for hunting, unless they're very, very, big. It sounds like you have a great project ahead of you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.