Votes: 11 26.2%
  • M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger

Votes: 16 38.1%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order me one new Ruger rifle. I cant make up my mind. I want the .416 Ruger, but at the same time, they still make and sell the M77 MkII Magnum in .458 Lott. So Im torn. What do you guys think ?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The MKII Magnums are beautiful guns and the .416 and .375 are excellent calibers. You seem to like the synthetics more than the wood stocks. I voted for the .375, although any of them are good choices.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've got a friend selling an unfired no box M77 .458 Win Mag...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
I have a tang-safety 77 in .338. Stock probably isn't ugly enough to suit Tang though :D

Unfired .458????? I sold my Mark X .458 Win Mag, it was super accurate, but kicked something fierce...... 9 lbs is just a bit light for a .458!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wasn't into stainless synthetic rifles until I actually handled the 416 Ruger Alaskan. Very nice! Short, lightweight and rugged. Not a rifle that needs to be pampered, it's going to see considerable use in all conditions. :cool:

The Mk II is art work, what a beauty! It's considerably heavier than the Alaskan. I would hate to scratch or dent that gorgeous circassian walnut stock. :mad:

For me at least, it runs the risk of being a gun safe queen if I owned one.

Note that the 416 Ruger Alaskan has a barrel band swivel stud (the front swivel stud on the 375 is on the forend). There's a reason for that - it's meaner than the 375. :D

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think .45 caliber is a good place to start and the .458 Lott has some history to it as well.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4fifty8, hows the recoil on it ? I have found the Hogue stocks to be VERY comfortable stocks for me, and they always take the sharpness out of recoil. How does it group for you ?

Which ever I go with, Im going to leave it iron sighted and call it my woods gun :D Can't ever be too cautious with Whitetails and 150lb Black Bears...lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Recoil is not exactly light. :p

However, the recoil pad is effective.

My hunting load is a 300gr X bullet and Re15 at 2700fps, a mild load. :D

For plinking, a 400gr bullet and SR4759 at 1350fps, a good load for deer. :cool:

300gr X group at 100yds:

400gr group at 100yds:

:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no use for the .416 ir a .458, I just WANT one :D You say 1350fps, that sounds terribly slow. But I bet it would tear through a deer end to end and then some !

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have no use for the .416 ir a .458, I just WANT one :D You say 1350fps, that sounds terribly slow. But I bet it would tear through a deer end to end and then some !
400gr at 1350 is almost identical to the 45-70 remington factory loaded 405gr. That .416 is sweet lookin but if you want a real clavical cruncher go with the .458, either would be a great choice.

·
Banned
991 Posts
If you just want one Tang, then get the Magnum rifle in 458 Lott. The rifle is absolutely a fine piece of work much better than the Hawkeye. The 458 Lott will handle anything you would ever get a chance to hunt with when it comes to big and dangerous especially Africa. You can always pick up a Hawkeye at some later data, get the Ruger MK II Magnum rilfe, plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are really selling me on those 798's ! I believe they are cheaper than the MkII Magnum also arent they ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Only about 1/3 of the price of the Mk II magnum! :eek:

These are a deal!

More rugged too with the laminate stock. And just as deadly I'm sure.

·
Banned
991 Posts
The 798 is not even half the rifle the Ruger Magnum is so you would expect to pay more for the Ruger. Why do we always have to cheap it????? For once buy your self a Ruger that will be special not only in the cartridge but in the rifle. Now if you don't have the money I understand but if you do get the Ruger Magnum, you certainly will not regret it. Oh about ruggedness, tell that to the three PH's in Africa that I have personally seen carry the Ruger Magnum and ask them why they chose it. I bet you won't find one 798 in a Ph's hand in Africa. You get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts