Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or Leupold FX-3

Both these scopes are $399. Does anyone have experience with both? I want one for open terrain shoooting and the variable offers no real advantage to me. I actually like the simplicity of a fixed. Still I have tested the Zeiss and it was really nice. This scope will either go on a 7mm WSM or a .300 Win Mag Encore barrel. So with that said, which of these two scope is:

1. Brightest at dusk and dawn?

2. The most durable?

3. Has the best eye relief

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I'll simply say that owning around 20 Leupolds at this time and also 3 Zeiss Conquests, if the power range suits your needs, there's no better value IMHO at $400. than the 3-9x40 Conquest. I'd trade everyone of my Leupolds (even the $$ 30mm ones) for same power Conquests.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or Leupold FX-3

Both these scopes are $399. Does anyone have experience with both? I want one for open terrain shoooting and the variable offers no real advantage to me. I actually like the simplicity of a fixed. Still I have tested the Zeiss and it was really nice. This scope will either go on a 7mm WSM or a .300 Win Mag Encore barrel. So with that said, which of these two scope is:

1. Brightest at dusk and dawn?

2. The most durable?

3. Has the best eye relief

1. Check the exit pupil of each scope. OBJ lens diameter divided by power gives the exit pupil. The larger the EP up to about 5.0-6.0 mm the better which is all the human eye can dilate normally. Any more than that is wasted. This is assuming of course that both scopes have the same light transmission, which most quality scopes do ranging in the 95-98% range.
2. Same IMO. I've yet to break a Leupold and they are on rifles up to .50 BMG and handguns up to .50 Alaskan.
3. Check the stats of each scope on their web sites. It's all listed and the longer the eye relief the better for hard kickers with a minimum of 3.5 inches and 4.0 inches better still.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll simply say that owning around 20 Leupolds at this time and also 3 Zeiss Conquests, if the power range suits your needs, there's no better value IMHO at $400. than the 3-9x40 Conquest. I'd trade everyone of my Leupolds (even the $$ 30mm ones) for same power Conquests.
Wow, that's a pretty strong statement....and just when I was leaning towards the fixed Leupold.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Same as bird dog. I'd trade away all of my Leupolds for more Zeiss. Best eye relief going. In a hunting situation, if I need to shot at a big buck standing on my head, I'd do it knowing I can position my eye somewhere behind the scope and get a full sight picture with my Zeiss. also best light gathering of any scopes I've tried. Never used a Swarovsky. I'll settle for the Z

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, you guys are seriously on the verge of talking me out of the FX-3 6x42 in favor of a Conquest. At least they are both put together in the US.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've got multiple conquests and leupolds. Conquest is the one to buy. Better optics and great eye relief, 4". They will take any recoil you can throw. One of mine is been getting smacked around on my 375 ruger. Both have a great warranty so its a wash there. Better light at dawn and dusk with the conquest. Its a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my thinking with the Leupold was that fixed scopes have fewer lens, seals, and moving parts to fail. I wish there was a Conquest fixed power scope in that price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts