Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 rifles to choose from that I was going to upgrade and add some good bases and rings and high dollar glass 2 but I can only afford to do this to one and I am having a hard time deciding which.

Rifle A = Ruger M77 ultralight .270 with 20" blue barrel with wood stock

Rifle B = Remington Model 7 ss/syn .308 with 20" barrel

Help me decide.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I have 2 rifles to choose from that I was going to upgrade and add some good bases and rings and high dollar glass 2 but I can only afford to do this to one and I am having a hard time deciding which.

Rifle A = Ruger M77 ultralight .270 with 20" blue barrel with wood stock

Rifle B = Remington Model 7 ss/syn .308 with 20" barrel

Help me decide.
Of those two guns and cartridges, I say the 308 is a better carbine cartridge than the 270. It suffers much less with shot out of a 20" barrel. If you like the M77, why not get that in a 308?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of those two guns and cartridges, I say the 308 is a better carbine cartridge than the 270. It suffers much less with shot out of a 20" barrel. If you like the M77, why not get that in a 308?
I like them both , however I like the durability of the ss/syn.If I choose the Ruger I am going to have the barrel matte finished because I don't like that shine.

·
Inactive account
381 Posts
A couple of years ago, I bought a used Ruger 77 tang safety featherweight/ultra lite rifle in .270 Win., with a decent scope on it. I couldn't ignore its $210 price tag. Only thing wrong with it was the stock needed refinishing, external metal and bore were in good condition. If I hunted, it would have been a very good carry rifle. However, I just shoot paper at a private range. After a number of trips to range, shooting factory ammo and my reloads in it, came to conclusion the rifle was not accurate enough to suit me. Also, I didn't particulary like its recoil, even though I often shoot various 30-06 rifles. So, the rifle is now at a gunsmiths, being rebarreled to 7mm mauser with a heavier/longer barrel.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Those are two of my favorite actions, right after a Win pre '64 M70. I own several of each and like the Model Seven much more than the M700 (even in S/A form). Of the two calibers you've mentioned, I think I'd choose the .308 over the .270 caliber feeling (as already mentioned) it loses less from the 20" barrel than the .270. I feel the .308 and a 20" barrel is actually a great combination. If you're liking the all-weather properties of the Model Seven, then go with it, by all means. One of my model Sevens is actually a 673 in .308 and it is a fine shooter. That 673/.308 wears a nice Leupold scope, a Leupold European 30mm 2-7x33 and it's a very fine mate to the rifle and caliber, IMO.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i agree, i'd put the extra scratch into the 308... i don't know what the military had in mind in terms of barrel length but the M60 that i used to carry had a 20'' barrel.
i love my rugers but in this instance i'd go with the remmy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.