Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my area if you get a lifetime membership to white tails unlimited you get a mossberg patriot with the whitetails logo laser engraved. $650, for a gun that msrp is 640. There is a lot of good benefits, and I'm 18 so the benefits will last a lifetime. But I also want a CZ 557 Carbine in 30-06. (The mossberg is also in that caliber). The CZ is $750 in my area, but has no benefits besides being a good gun. I don't get into events for free, or get reduced cost tickets or anything. But it's a better gun.

So the moral of that, is which is better? I know the CZ is a better gun, but I like saving money. So what would you guys/gals do?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
At the age of 18, I congratulate you for giving this some thought and consideration! My suggestion is to grab the Mossberg now, it should shoot well and work well for you. Just remember that you have a lifetime ahead of you to enjoy some nicer rifles, like that CZ (own one myself!)

Also remember after using the Mossberg for a couple years, you're open to saving some $$, selling the Mossberg and moving "up".

Best of luck with whichever you ultimately choose!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
I like the looks of the Patriot. One with a walnut stock would look good along side my Remingtons.

According to this article:

American Rifleman | Review: Mossberg Patriot Rifle

they are as good as the best and better than the rest. Fed the proper ammo, I think they could be as good as a CZ.

RJ

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the wood stock on the CZ, but from the sounds of it, the mossberg is a better deal. I go to all the local events anyway, but I like doing long range shooting as well. Suppose the mossberg is accurate enough to hit a 4" target at 300 yards?

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
:D:) but are you ???? :p:D

No No, apologies I just couldn't help it. I go with Tn on the purchase etc., To be honest with CNC machining etc etc these days it is difficult and very picky to be able to choose between any of them. It all comes down to personal choice and often to one disparaging remark about a certain make.
Get the Mossie and go enjoy yourself BUT keep us folks updated as to the results :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hats off to all who join various conservation and wildlife organizations and the NRA and state gun rights organization. And nothing wrong with getting a little thank you for the support, like the gun you mention.

So yeah, go with the lifetime Whitetails Unlimited and get the gun and enjoy it. Over time you can save up and add to your shootable collection.

Right now, I am supporting the National Rifle Association, California Rifle and Pistol Association, and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I may add the National Wild Turkey Association and Pheasants Unlimited this year if some funds free up.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Just my thoughts.

Whitetails Unltd. is a fair to poor organization. If you like buying logo items and banquets that are clones of Du...fine. their mission is cloudy, as white tail deer have been studied to death by ever wildlife organization and ever university. Don't know what they could be uncovering with their quasi research! As a non-profit they rate below average on evaluation (2 stars out of 4 star rating). So what value is in a membership from an organization whose goals focus on organization payroll.

Now, as to the rifle; you should decide. And you asked for opinions. My OPINON is that Mossberg firearms have always been on the low end; basic cheap shotguns and 22 rifles. So $600 for a Mossberg rifle is not a good value. Even a 50 year old Mossberg is not collectable. Yes, the rifle is a new design to for Mossberg. But the local gun shops are selling Mossberg Patriot rifles for $375.

The CZ is quality and value. the Mossberg is WAY WAY over priced. Nothing in America is free.

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
The CZ is underpriced in the Model 550. I'm not familiar with the 557.

Mossberg is part of Freedom Group (?) and synonymous with cheap POS.

Without having them side by side, I'd take the CZ every time. Good guns usually don't last long on the marketplace, historically speaking. Also historically speaking, CZ is the very best of quality and Mossberg is still a cheap POS.

Your mileage may vary (widely) and it depends on what kind of gun guy you are. I dumped all but two guns when I went in the Army at 18, but moved to gunsmith's school in Colorado the day after separation and had more than a dozen with me. Looking back, I wish I could have kept the good ones, but it was the trade of the good ones that allowed me to look at, shoot and study SO MANY of them!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple mossberg shotguns and they are just as good as my Remmy 12 gauge, except for the looks. But as far as shotguns go, accuracy is not really an issue. That's why I was wondering about accuracy of the Rifles. I have no experience with mossberg rifles, but my CZ 452 lux is wonderful. I just sold my 63 Winchester 100 so I can buy something more practical in a better caliber. It was such good condition I couldn't bring myself to shoot it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a buy nice or buy twice kind of guy. I didn't find any semi auto .22's that I liked, so I built a 10/22 from the ground up only buying a few factory parts because of money (bolt, and reciever, and a few misc parts) so saving a couple dollars here isn't as big of a deal to me. I think I'm going to go with the CZ, I'll order it within the next couple of weeks. If I remember I'll update with how it turns out.
And I need accuracy at 300 because in Iowa we have another brand of tannerite that's much more powerful. Instead of two ingredients there is 3 and you have to be 250-300+ yards to detonate it. The downside is, is that it's only a 4x4" container that holds it, so I need an accurate gun to hit it at that range. In case 300 yards and 4" sounded random to anyone haha

·
Registered
842 Posts
You've missed an important option. With the money you're talking about spending, you could get a real quality rifle in the used department. I wouldn't spend $600 on a Mossberg nor a CZ. For that kind of money, the used but in excellent condition market has much to offer. I recently purchased a Sako Finnbear for a friend for that amount. I'd consider other options as a fine rifle will last a lifetime. I'm still hunting with some excellent 1959 vintage rifles of premium quality! Good luck!:)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Msrp

New guns can almost always be found for less than MSRP, so shop around. I've never handled a patriot, so won't condemn it because it's made by MB, that has a rep for making "cheap" guns. I've owned some MB's that served me well, but a "high end gun" they are not (so far in my experience). On the other hand I can't recall anything bad said about CZ's. Owning 2- 30-06's at 18 y/o sounds redundant. I think I'd wait till I came up with the extra 100$ for the CZ, or shop around for a good condition used one, likely less $ than either of your choices, you may even get a scope & mounts to boot. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
IMO, there is no contest.

Old world quality and value against corporate produced, bean counter QC standards.

The CZ is better gun in every measure and will hold or gain value. It also has probably the best factory trigger ever put into a hunting rifle. The single set triggers they install are stunning and absolutely amazing compared to any other trigger in just about any other gun.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Future resale $

Buy the patriot today at your stated price, & be lucky to get 250$ +/- for it tomorrow at a gun/pawn shop.
You will learn (the hard way) like the rest of us that it's cheaper in the long run to buy quality once. I was trying to be nice for a change, some of you guys are brutal, :D

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I have been there and seen guys jumping up and down high fiving after shooting a container of tannerite ..........

Am I missing something here ?

No backstraps ?
No fillets ?
No sausage ?
No roasts ?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I like guns that shoot over guns that look pretty or hold their value. I like old-world craftsmanship, as long as it comes with the kind of accuracy that you can typically expect from "POS" modern guns. Maybe I'm just not that old yet?

saving a couple dollars here isn't as big of a deal to me. I think I'm going to go with the CZ,
There's your answer, young man...and good on you for knowing where you stand.

Some conservation organizations are better than others; I tend to disparage none because at least you're willing to stand up and be counted among them. It's easy to bash anything, but far more valuable to society to advocate for something worthwhile, without taking any cheap shots at others.

NRA, NSSF, DU, WU, NWTF, RMEF, QDMA, SCI, etc, etc...they all have good intentions and they all serve notice to our leaders in Washington, some of whom would take away the rights and liberties we associate with shooting and hunting. As long as your support of any one of these, or all of them, is genuine, I won't question which one you choose.

Jason

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Interesting comments. Since you're not going with the virtually free Mossberg and instead buying the CZ, I'll make another suggestion. Before buying the push feed CZ 557 (yes, it's push feed) at least handle and compare it with a M70 Featherweight which can be found for about $750 as well.

Again, good luck!

Reactions: ricpat356
1 - 20 of 89 Posts