Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post although I have been lurking on these forums for awhile. I am going to start reloading my own 223 ammo and was wondering what powders and grams have you had success with. Most likely I will be loading a 55 grain VMAX for my Howa. I've only ever loaded for large deer rifles so this is somewhat a new venture for me. Thanks in advance.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and find the "Similar Threads" section. Click on those discussing this topic to find prior posts.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good powders that work in the 223 Remington. My 1-9 twist Savage loves H-4198. Other good powders are BLC-2, Varget, IMR-3031, IMR-4320, RE-15, and H335. Any of the moderately fast powders work well in this rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Howa is a bolt action. They are also sold by Weatherby as the Vanguard series, and I believe also by Smith and Wesson as a "model 1500" or such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, for me that depends on your rifle. The HOWA is the same thing as the Weatherby Vanguard and they usually shoot well. My pet load for my .223 rifle (S&W M&P-15) is the 55 grain Winchester BTHP with hollow base. I seat it over 27 grains of Winchester 748 and get 1/2 groups at 100 yds. If you are set up for reloading already I recommend trying several medium to moderate loads of a couple of different patterns as well as bullets. After 40 years of handloading I have learned the rifles are like women. They can be tempermental. Once you find which powder shoots the best with a certian bullet you can slowly increase the powder load until you get the grouping at he yardage you are looking for.

Handloading is fun and you learn alot by seeing what changes in primer, powder and bullets and bullet seating depth can have on the accuracy of a firearm.

fisheswithbears

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
This is my first post although I have been lurking on these forums for awhile. I am going to start reloading my own 223 ammo and was wondering what powders and grams have you had success with. . .
In the U.S., we use grains rather than grams for powder. The conversion is 15.432 grains per gram. If you have a scale that measures in grams, it needs a resolution of 0.01 grams of smaller to be precise enough for safe reloading. If your scale is in grains, it needs to one that resolve 0.1 grains or finer.

I have found IMR 4198 and the 53 grain Sierra MatchKing to be a phenomenally accurate combination for up to 200 yards and 300 when the wind isn't up. The charge will vary with the individual gun, but will wind up in the vicinity of 21 grains or 1.36 grams. Another good powder for bullets in that weight range, including the 55 grain A-max, that produces a good balance of case fill and burning rate is Reloader 10X. It's loads will wind up in the range of 24 grains or 1.56 grams.

Nobody else's recipe is likely to be exactly best in your gun. To find exact loads that are best in your rifle, you need a systematic approach for identifying them. Read through Dan Newberry's OCW site for such a system.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I've found a lot of powders that work well, but Ramshot's TAC has really impressed me. I'm using it in .204 Ruger, .223, .444 Marlin, and .350 Rem Mag.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ramshot TAC if you could only have one powder for .223.

I also like H322 for the lighter bullets (55 grains and less). Velocity might not be up to speed with other powders, but it's a reliable performer that meters well.

For the heavier bullets: I like TAC, RL15, and VARGET.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just worked up a load with 3031 that shot very well for me. If I could find a jug of TAC I would try that. Its been slim pickens for awhile now.

There's a guy in town charging 36 bucks a lb. for alliant powders.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had good luck with Winchester 748 in my Rem 700. While Hodgdon 335 works best in the AR. Both are shooting 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings. Speed is'nt the greatest, but accuracy is better than I can shoot.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just worked up a load with 3031 that shot very well for me. If I could find a jug of TAC I would try that. Its been slim pickens for awhile now.

There's a guy in town charging 36 bucks a lb. for alliant powders.
You need to relocate, that's horrible! Alliant is pretty easy to find here in Idyho, and it's cheaper than Hogdon. I've been paying around $20.00 a LB. for Alliant and 25.00 for Hogdon. Tac and other Ramshot powders are harder to find, which makes no sense to me since Montana is our nieghbor.:confused: Hope things get better for you.:(

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I personally like W748 best in the 223. I've heard the same good things that folks here are saying about TAC, but I really have no alternative use for it, and I can't reliably shoot anything heavier than the Sierra or Speer hunting bullets (short, stubby things of ~60-65 grains weight). Back when I had ARs and shot heavier bullets, Ramshot didn't exist yet.

In my part of Idaho, Ramshot powders are very easy to come by (though from only 1 source). However, whereas they used to be significantly cheaper than Hodgdon's or Alliant's offerings, they're now very close in price. So, for me, and for the same price and performance, I'll buy General Dynamics powders (Winchester) over Eurenco powders (Ramshot).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got more 223 rifles than i have fingers.... literally....

a few powders stand out for me in my bolt actions... with twist rates of 1/10, 1/12 and other slower rates.... benchmark... and 4064

on the faster twist rates, ive had better luck with Varget. though i have one ar 15 with a 1/9 that just loves that ol 4064.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Vanguard Varmint special which should be the same as a heavy barrel Howa. I have changed the stock and trigger. I am using 25.5 grains of IMR 4895 with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Groups have been from .3-.7 inches at 100 yards.
Dallas Jack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.