Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 4th choice muzzleloader antelope license so I dragged out my seldom used Remington 700ml and checked the zero. It was pretty much on so I stood it in the corner for a couple of weeks before cleaning it. Now I've use triple 7 in it since I bought it and never had a problem with rust or excessive corrosion. Not this time, it had some rust in it and it was a bear to get clean, it had a white coating over everything that powder had touched and then some.
I've been using the same can of powder since I bought the gun and converted the ignition system over to shotgun primers....maybe 32yrs ago. Yeah, not good.
Anyways I need to buy new powder for it and I live in Colorado so no pellets allowed and I use powerbelts.
Opinions on black powder substitutes?
Looking for least corrosive, cleanest burning of them.

Registered
Might want to try using Blackhorn 209. Your Remington has a "closed" breech, so it would be okay to use Blackhorn. I have a T/C Black Diamond which is an "open" breech and I've heard that Blackhorn 209 shouldn't be used due to pressure concerns. So I just use Triple 7 FFG in my M/L.

Registered
Pyrodex has always worked well for me. It does not quite give the accuracy I get out of BP, but suitable. Cleanup is pretty easy too. I've never tried Blackhorn, but mine is still a cap-lock.

Good luck on your hunt.

Reactions: Davers

Registered
I use Pyrodex RS in my centerlines, with good accuracy. I do find that even after a good scub with hot water and soap, it takes a few patches with a solvent (CLP or Kroil) to get what seems like an oily residue out.

Registered
Whats available? I've looked online for BP and subs and none available . I have about 3/4 pound of Trip 7 left from a can I bought yrs ago. Never used BH 209 but what they get for a 10 oz jar must be the cats meow. Out here we can't use inline or closed breach . Traditional only and loose powder no pellets. So what ever you can find if you can afford it better grab some and good luck on the hunt.

Registered
I use Blackhorn 209 in my inline muzzle loaders. It鈥檚 basically a smokeless power with a bit of chemical in it to make some smoke. It鈥檚 non-corrosive and you can get up to a dozen shots with it before you鈥檒l notice any change in accuracy鈥..due to the breech plug starting to close up a bit. It鈥檚 a simple clean up with any solvent (even Hoppes). People complain about the price of it, but a ten ounce bottle will last for a couple of years. Yeah, it costs about fifty bucks now days if you can find it. When you break it down, how much does that cost impact your hunt? It simply doesn鈥檛. Now, saying all of that: if you can鈥檛 find any 209, get some Triple7 which is pretty easy to find. It鈥檚 a pain in the butt with the crud ring it leaves in the barrel, but even that鈥檚 not a really big deal. Get a very small pump spray bottle and fill it with Windex w/ammonia. A very light spray on a patch and run it down the barrel. Follow it with a dry patch and you鈥檙e ready to go for another shot. It actually shoots as well as BH209 out of my guns. I know you didn鈥檛 ask, but you might want to rethink those PowerBelts. They鈥檙e a loose fit in almost all barrels and can actually migrate down the barrel if carried or hung up with the muzzle down. They shoot good, but my experience with them tells me that they鈥檙e way too fragile to perform reliably. I quit using them (begrudingly) several years ago based on performance on a number of deer. You can 鈥渢une鈥 your rifle better trying different sabots and loose powder. My Savage ML2 and my TC Encore will both shoot 1moa with developed loads and perform better on deer. I shot a large doe last year at a measured 154 yards with my Encore using Barnes T-EZ 290 grain bullets.
Office supplies Material property Font Multipurpose battery Electronic device

Registered
Barnes bullets using BH209 at 100 yards. Fired four shots to sight in. First shot hit just to right of the bull. Adjusted scope and fired three more shots to get it 2鈥 high at 100 yards. I can use either BH209 (nice and clean), or T7 powder and get similar results. You just have to wipe after each shot with T7.
Font Art Recreation Pattern Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information I've never even heard of blackhorn but I'll try and find some, sabots are not legal here in Colorado. To me that's really silly because the difference between a power belt and a sabot is minimal.

The Shadow (Moderator)
I've looked online for BP and subs and none available
Then you haven't looked in a while. Lester has several choices available, they've been in-stock for several weeks now.;)

Reactions: gunpa

Registered
I was just looking on Powder Valley last night and they have Pyrodex RS as well as RS Select in stock. I have four traditional muzzle loaders, three are cap lock and one is flint. My go-to is old fashioned black powder but I do have some Pyrodex RS Select on hand in case I run out and it's not available.

I don't know much about Blackhorn 209, but I've seen it said quite a few times one needs to confirm the muzzleloader you intend to use it in will be compatible with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I called a over my area today and didn't come up with any Black horn 209 or anything else for that matter except a new pound of triple 7. The local Murdoch's say they get BH 209 in regularly so I should eventually get some and be able to switch over. To nsb,yeah I know about power belts migrating down the barrel so I recheck my load during the day and always carry the barrel up with a sling. Problem is there about the only legal bullets of that genre here in Colorado.

Registered
I use Pyrodex RS in my centerlines, with good accuracy. I do find that even after a good scub with hot water and soap, it takes a few patches with a solvent (CLP or Kroil) to get what seems like an oily residue out.
BP and any petroleum are a no no.
They bond to form a hard residue

Soapy hot water and a final swab with something like Bore Butter or a homemade lube will do the trick in a seasoned BP barrel.

Registered
Might want to try using Blackhorn 209. Your Remington has a "closed" breech, so it would be okay to use Blackhorn. I have a T/C Black Diamond which is an "open" breech and I've heard that Blackhorn 209 shouldn't be used due to pressure concerns. So I just use Triple 7 FFG in my M/L.
Blackhorn 209 is ok to use in a T/C Bllack Diamond. I use it in my T/C Black Diamond Express with not issues. I have 2 T/C Black Diamond, 1 being an Express while the other an XR in which the XR is the 1 that I use Blackhorn 209 in at 120 grains pushing a 240 grain Hornady XTP and I've been happy with the grouping since day 1

Registered
Blackhorn 209 is ok to use in a T/C Bllack Diamond. I use it in my T/C Black Diamond Express with not issues. I have 2 T/C Black Diamond, 1 being an Express while the other an XR in which the XR is the 1 that I use Blackhorn 209 in at 120 grains pushing a 240 grain Hornady XTP and I've been happy with the grouping since day 1
I use 250 grain bullets (Sabots) in my Black Diamond in front of 90 grs (Volume)Triple 7 FFG. I did read on another forum that Blackhorn 209 is mainly used in closed breech systems, and must use a 209 "Magnum" primer to receive good ignition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts