Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to reloading and I'm considering to buy either the Forster Co-Ax or the RCBS Rockchucker press. Is the Co-ax worth the extra money? I will be reloading primarily 300 WSM.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,955 Posts
I think the Co-Ax is worth the money - have one now that is the primary loading press for all my needs. Don't mind the single stage part, as reloading, for me, is a relaxing hobby and one that should be done slowly and enjoyably (is that a word?). There's nothing wrong with the Rockchucker, either. Both are good presses - I just find the Co-ax offers more benefits.

·
Registered
87 Posts
rmurphy said:
I'm new to reloading and I'm considering to buy either the Forster Co-Ax or the RCBS Rockchucker press. Is the Co-ax worth the extra money? I will be reloading primarily 300 WSM.
Faster die change using the Co-Ax is about the only differance. They're both top of the line presses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a RCBS Rock Chucker for years, really good press, then, bought a Dillon 550 for mass production. Good press also, but, more expensive of course being a progessive type. Tested the RCBS lifetime warr. out this week. No questions asked, sent me the proper replacement part, no charage. That's worth something. Dillon's warr. is great also. ARC LITE :D MAN I LIKE THIS SITE!!!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Have had a Redding Ultra Mag for about 15 years now. Terrific press as far as strength (toggles link to upper part of frame) and wide open in front. Getting pricey though in recent years.

Also have a 15 year old CH H-Press I use for a semi-progressive loader.

Regards

·
Banned
89 Posts
Which Press To Buy?

rmurphy,

Both presses are very good. IMHO, The RCBS Rockchucker press is the way to go. I prefer having easy access to all parts of a press or dies when in use. I think it is much easier to adjust dies in the RCBS. I don't know if this has ever happened or is just an unreasonable fear. The way a die sits in a Co-Ax press might result in a die being slightly out of alignment when using the press. Good luck. :)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,955 Posts
BigBob30-06 -

That floating die in the Co-Ax is the ONE big advantage - with it and the spring loaded jaw type shell holder, the case and die align together automatically, eliminating the possible misalignment of standard "C" and "O" presses.

There is also a tension screw/detent ball feature on the Co-Ax that allows the die to be firmly locked in place, if desired. Also, there is an optional plate to replace the jaw type shell holder and allows the use of standard shell holders.

Can't get all those features in the other styles of presses.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My vote goes to the Rockchucker. I have one, love it, and have never had a problem with it. Like another poster here, I like the single stage as I view it as a relaxing thing that I take my time with. I load about 500 rounds a week, so the Rockchucker is perfect. --Mykal

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have not used the Forester myself. It is supposed to be good. I have however used the Rockchucker.
It is a good solid press and will last a long time.
Crookedshot

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, here we go. I've been reloading since 1961. Ive used various model presses (NOT all),from Lyman, R.C.B.S., C.H.,& Lee. !st, the issue of strength. ie,weight is a mute point unless your swaging bullets w/it. Even at that all of the popular models offered today are strong enough for even Wildcat case resizing. The exceptions are obvious and are advertised as "handy-dandy, portable, tuck anywhere, pistol ctg. specific etc." Of course we must allow for our personal need idiosincreses(?sp?).I've never had enough room in my reloading center. After all these years of moving and shifting benches & shelves I've finally managed to make room for two permanently mounted presses. They are a Lee Loadmaster to help me keep up w/my Action Pistol recreation,(dedicated to .45ACP) and a Lee turret, the old 3 hole mod. I load for about 17 or 18 ctgs. including 3 wildcats. By having a turret for each set of dies I can switch between ctgs. w/o needing to readjust the dies each time. I have some other presses set on heavy plywood mounting plates, all cut from a template, that can be quickly mounted should I need another station but that is rare. The Loadmaster is only3 yrs old and I did have a problem that I solved myself. (save this for another time).I"m very happy w/its speed and consistancy. The turret I've had for at least 12 yrs. NO problems. I'll be happy to address specific questions. Pepe Ray

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't answer for the co_ax but as far as the rock chucker goes its great. I have had mine for years and years and is still on my bench even though I just got this past june my new Dillon xl 650 and love, no wait, LOVE it!!! So good luck with what ever you choose.

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Take a look at the Dillon AT 500. It's just under $200 and is a lot more versital than any other single stage press. Down the road you can upgrade it to a RL 550B if you want. One of the grat things about the Dillon's is you can leave the die heads all set up and switch from one to the other very easy. You can add just what you want to this press also, if you want to add just the auto priming system you can do so, if it's the auto powder system you like, go for it. These things save time and room on the work bench. You can still use you press as a sigle stage to work up a load, I do it all the time, but when you get that load you can now bang out 500 an hour! You will find this very handy when loading pistol ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious about the forster

Never having used a rifle/pistol press, I'm curious about a couple things.

-How much does the extra mechanical advantage of the forster really help over a rock chucker for things like full size case resizing? What about cast bullet swaging?

- when you buy a "die set" from a company (say 9x18 mak) such as Lee and it comes with a shell holder, does the shell holder only work on lee presses? or would it work on a rock chucker?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Lee and RCBS shellholder and most others are interchangeable. I don't know which press has the better mechanical advantage, but both can size any sporting cartridge and both are likely marginal for swaging.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
70 Posts
I learned on a Rock Chucker. I then moved on to a Lee Loadmaster. I picked it over its Dillon counterpart (the XL650) due mainly to price. (the press was twice the price as were the extra stuff needed for caliber conversions) I have not been disappointed with the Lee. And from my experience, the one time I had to use the warrenty, they sent me the part I needed as well as extras, free of charge.
So...I would say, look at price based on what your needs are. Everyone has made very valid points.
I still use the Rock Chucker for precision loads. The Loadmaster rocks for pistol plinking ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't count out the Hornady Press the latest one has a pretty dandy way to change dies. Decent price and has all the mechanical power of the Rock-Chucker.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I had the same questions a few years ago when I started loading, and did my due diligence. And had the same candidates at the end of the search.

Looking at a few different on-line boards, there seemed to be a common theme - Rockchucker owners liked their machines and recommended them, and stated that they had heard that the Co-Ax presses were good also. Co-Ax owners tend to be fanatical about their presses and are glad they paid the premium for the Co-Ax.

Count me as one of the fanatics. I looked at the machines, and decided to spend the money once, since my game is achieving the best accuracy possible. In general, Forster doesn't make "ME TO" products and their designs are generally somewhat different than the rest of the industry, well designed, robust and well made.

If you are into small batches of ammo of different calibers, loaded with the best precision, and are looking for the fastest machine to change dies, have a serious look at the Co-Ax. If you think you will want to load 50BMG in the future, the RockChucker is your animal (That's about the only thing a RockChucker will do that a Co-Ax can't)

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts