Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinkin about a browning x bolt.What are some other good choices?I have a rem 700 in 243 but i wanted to step up to the 30-06.thanks

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Welcome sqirrelsniper.

Would think you'd be pleased with the X-bolt. I don't have one, but do have the A-bolt in 338 WM.

Others bolt guns that I'd look at: Win mod 70, Rem 700, Ruger M77. There are many other fine choices as well.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Marlins are great for the money. I have an A-Bolt in 270wsm and love it. They handle well and most are real shooters. Cant go wrong either way

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like the Remington 798. Features control-feed and a free-floated barrel. I have 2 of these with laminate stocks, a 300 Win. mag. and a 458 Win. mag. The fit and finish is excellent, the blueing is beautiful. Both are accurate.:cool:

·
Registered
585 Posts
You really cant go wrong with a Browning. I personally prefer the A-bolt but thats probably because I've owned several over the years. Never shot one but most reviews I've seen for the X-bolt are great and the ones I have fondled in stores felt nice.

Dont know what your price cap is but I have just gotten into the world of Sako and while I'll never sell my Brownings the Sako is on another level IMHO. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
While I haven't owned or fired a X-Bolt, i've had some experience with the A-bolts. My youngest son has one in 30-06 and I have a 25-06, both are shooters. I wouldn't discount the Savage either. All I've had contact with have been outstanding in the accuracy department. Don't think you'd go wrong with the Browning.

·
Super Moderator
13,685 Posts
I have both A-bolt and Savage rifles. A-bolt accuracy is fine and you can get the BOSS tuners without muzzle brake ports now, so you can still do the barrel tuning thing without losing your hearing. The only downside would be in a rifle you expect to shoot a lot. Apparently barrel replacement has to be done by the factory, as they glue the barrels in permanently. If you are using it for hunting and won't be putting more than 3,000 rounds through the gun in your lifetime (true for most hunting rifles owned by amateur hunters) then it isn't an issue for you. I don't know if this is true of the X-bolt or not? I would ask the factory.

The Savage designs keep improving. If you can get one with both AccuTrigger and AccuStock, you will almost certainly have a shooter. If you don't, the factory will work on it until you do. At the opposite end from the A-bolt, the Savage's have the easiest barrels to change. If you have a vice, you can get tools to do it yourself without any need for a conventional barrel vice. You can even change the bolt faces to accommodate a different case head for a major change in caliber.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Which 3006 rifle

I wonder about the X bolt with the thinner top strap . think I would then prefer the A bolt .
The savage is "a shooter" , but the cocking on bolt lift bothers me .
The tikka is about the smoothest action I have worked and usually have a new round chambered before I realize what just happened .
Winchester again a rifle to look at

Most reports on Marlin bolt action rifles are very positive They are cheap but shoot groups .

It really comes to how much money your willing to spend and what is going to fit the shooter first of all . I would first see what is going to suit the shooter , then look at every thing second and third.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 1974 Remington 700 BDL with serial #'s but I'm not sure what type of BDL. If there is anyone that could help me find out what kind of a rifle I have Please refer to this post..SteveO

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Remington only made the BDL or ADL during that time, BDLs have nicer wood, cut checkering, and magazine floor plates. You should start a new thread if you have a specific question though.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Shawn,how do you like the A-bolt?
The most accurate factory rifle I've ever purchased. I've had it for 17-18 yrs now and it's the most chosen rifle for elk hunting for me. Even accounted for some mule deer and whitetails, as well as a moose. I got the stainless stalker, which has been nice for beating around in rough terrain and foul weather. No BOSS on mine.

As unclenick provided, Browning glues on their barrels. I wouldn't let that concern you as I think most people would be very hard pressed to shoot out a 30-06 barrel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont shoot high powered rifles much.Just a couple times during the summer,2 or 3 times to check my scope before deer season,and when i shoot(at)a deer.lolWhere are they glued on at?

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
I dont shoot high powered rifles much.Just a couple times during the summer,2 or 3 times to check my scope before deer season,and when i shoot(at)a deer.lolWhere are they glued on at?
They are glued (with a 'permanent' loc-tite-type glue) on the barrel threads that screw into the receiver/action. With your level of shooting, dont worry; you'll even be able to pass the rifle on to your favorite person for more use!

·
Banned
131 Posts
If you plan on customizing the rifle I'd go with a Steven's rifle. It's just a low end Savage that costs about $300 or so. You can spend about $50 and reinforce the stock with some epoxy and aluminum rods (that actually is something I would recommend with any stock that flexes and touches the barrel. The contact will throw off the point of impact by several MOA in some cases). You can then choose any caliber that uses a LA when you decide to rebarrel it, provided the bolt face is the correct size. So from the get go you have a rifle that costs $350 plus whatever the scope is that will preform its intended function BUT also gives you the ability to easily upgrade afterwards without the same money loss as upgrading the higher end Remigton and Savage actions.

For a quick rundown lets assume the rifle is $300. Scrapping everything leaves you the action, getting that trued is another $150. A new stock is $150-$1000 depending on the maker and options used. A barrel will run you $300-$600 depending on maker and quality. A trigger will net you anywhere from $50-$400. So going at the bare minimum your looking at $950 for the parts to the rifle. Assume another 25% mark-up for shipping and labor and your looking at around $1200 for a rifle that is EXACTLY what you want versusu what the factories over.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts