Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new rifle in either 30-06 or 270WSM. Money is not an issue. What are your recommendations? It will be primarily used for deer, however, may also be used for bear and moose. Any opinions on the Winchester classis featherweight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
TPM - For what it's worth in my opinion I'd go with the 30-06, I really prefer to use heavier for caliber bullets on the bigger game. No knock against the .270 calibers but to me the old '06 is still one of the best all around calibers made. Plus if your in the middle of nowhere and need to buy ammo, your going to have a tough time trying to find .270 WSM as opposed to finding 30-06 or even the old .270 win. ammo. CEJ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was thinking. I read an article in American Rifleman about the advantages of 180+grain bullets which are not available in 270.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I tend to agree with the 06 choice. With 150 grain boat tails, they will shoot as far as is practical, and with 220s they make excellent bear medicine.

Good shooting.

Steve

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I could not agree with what the others said more. Plus, if you load in something like a 180 gr. X bullet, it will penetrate as well as if not better than any conventional 220 but still give you long range performance and relatively flat shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts