Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to choose a semi-auto ruger 22
Is there a big difference between the 10-22 target and the regular 10-22??

I like the looks of the new stainless synthetic 10-22. Looks really sharp.
Anyway i am looking for a accurate semi-auto to scope for hunting and plinking.

Is the target model of the 10-22 worth the extra money?
Thank For any help!!
:D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Accuracy is a crapshoot, theoretically the 'target' model would be more accurate. But I'm sure that contradictory examples exist.

I have a stainless 10/22 (wood stock), and although it is reasonably accurate for a semi-auto, it is hard to shoot off-hand. There is just not much weight on the barrel. I have held heavy-barrel 10/22's (but not shot them) and they seem to 'hang' much better for off-hand shooting.

The target model does not have iron sights, for what that's worth.

Everytime I consider getting an aftermarket heavy-barrel & replacment stock, I stop myself and remember that my gun is already good for groups of around an inch at 50 yards.

The triggers on a standard 10/22 are pretty bad. If the target model has a good trigger that's worth a lot! I might get one of the target models one of these days, just don't know.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
I agree with Mike. I think money would be better spent on an aftermarket trigger than the target option. And while the heavy barrel models are great for competition and an afternoon's plinking, they would get kinda heavy out woods walking. I'd opt for the standard weight gun & see how it shoots with a bunch of different types of ammo. You'll probably find a load or two that works just fine for most applications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could do like i did, I bought a cheap 10/22 at a local pawnshop the stock looked pretty bad but the receiver was allright and I got it for $90. I then bought aftermarket stock,barrel trigger etc and made my own. It is extremely accurate and I have less in it than I would have buying a new target model. Just a thought:D it's a great little tree rat thumper.:cool:

·
Banned
7 Posts
I upgraded my old 10/22 with a heavy barrel, stock and target trigger. It was a very tight shooter I did have reliability issues. It was very particular about ammo types (way more than the usual 10/22 pickiness). If you have the money go for the target model. You get matched parts, increased reliability, and a cool looking factory designed heavy barrel.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Hi Crazytrain04,
You can buy the standard 10/22 for around $170 at Wal-Mart and other places, and they shoot amazingly well for their cost. But Ruger is not noted for good triggers in anything I've ever tried of theirs. Getting an aftermarket trigger would be a good investment indeed.
I paid $400 for the basic gun, new trigger, new target quality barrel, a neat plastic stock and then added a $250 scope to it.
If you are not going to shoot competitively, but are going to shoot small game at small game ranges ( less than 60 or 70 yards) plus other miscellaneous targets, get the standard model.
However, check out the new Thompson Center's new semi-auto, also.
Why a semi-automatic anyway ? I can shoot better groups with my Winchester Model 75 Target rifle ( 0.375 average for 5 shot groups and that is with PEEP SIGHT. I'll admit that the Ruger all tricked out is a gun that looks the coolest of all, however, but ISN"T the best shooter.
Have fun, good shooting and Happy Holidays.

csward

1 - 7 of 7 Posts