Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 375 ruger alaskan I'm looking to scope. I'm leaning towards a zeiss conquest. I'm wandering what you guys think I should use?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Please Add.......

---> 1.what part of the country hunting
2.terrain/folage in that area
3.animal to be hunted
4.general suspected range
5.budget

All this info will help us give our opinions. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
39 Posts
scope

I have a 375 ruger alaskan I'm looking to scope. I'm leaning towards a zeiss conquest. I'm wandering what you guys think I should use?
Burris , Leupold, Weaver grand slam 2x7 or 3x9.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I own three Zeiss Conquest scopes and find them to be excellent scopes and value/$$. The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 can be found for $400 now, as well. That being said, I don't see a need for a scope in the 9X range for a 200yd rifle in .375, personally. It's more scope both in size and power than you need atop that .375, IMO.

I'd suggest another scope I have which is just as nice to my eye, glass-wise, and is somewhat smaller in both size and magnification; the Leupold European 30mm 2-7x33. This scope has very good eye relief (something really useful in that caliber rifle) and the "eyebox" is very forgiving. A 30mm tube seems to my eye to be more forgiving in eye placement and also seems a bigger FOV.

The cost is similar at around $430., and I'd think this scope to be a perfect match for that .375. Ruger will take in trade the rings (1") that come with the rifle for 30mm ones, BTW. Mine has the German #4 type reticle, which I really like, have a look at it. It's a great hunting reticle.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Before.......

.......you settle on a scope make and power setting,check out the different reticle's. For the .375 Ruger and it's different bullet selection for reloading or store bought,a certain reticle pattern might suite your needs.

Heavy duplex,lighted post,tic marks below the horizontal,something you could use for a BDC would be a plus. I know at the ranges you have stated,holding top of shoulder should accomplish a clean kill but the added holding points would be a plus at >100yds. What this will accomplish also is you will be able to sight in your scope dead on at 50yds then possibly use the tic marks to allow for shots out further.

I am a Leupold kinda guy. I own some 15-18 of them. Some have been sent to the custom shop and have certain reticle's added. All work as advertised and have a lifetime warranty.

Power ---> depending on the reticle wanted I would say a 6 or 7 power is all that is needed. However remember, a scope with higher power can always be dialed back. Of course the length and weight cannot be decreased.

At some point I would like to add a 416 Ruger to my safes. Let us know she shoots. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
which leupold do you recommend? How does the conquest and leupold in the same price range compare? I own a couple of VXll, and I love them. The zeiss is crystal clear and seams to be able to take the recoil. I'm going to go with a 3-9 or something close. I'm just trying to figure which scope offers the best sight picture and is durable enough to handle the recoil. I have a few bushnel elites, nikon monarchs, & leupolds already. Like them all and have not had a problem yet. Thanks for all your opinions so far.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I like Burris.
They do stand up to recoil rather well. I like Leupold. I prefer Leupold for heavy rifles as the eye relief is better.

My Ruger #1 .375 H&H wears a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33.
Never had a problem with it. Ever.
My Ruger M77 RSM in .416 Rigby wears a Leupold Vari-x II 1-4x20.
Never had a problem with it. Ever.

VX1 or 2, vari-x II or III are all very good scopes for the money.

Dark, brushy, up close or out there, need good eye relief and in the rain or snow, I like Leupold. I do like their 3-9x40s, but only have a couple left like that and mostly on varmint guns.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I've come down to two scopes. Elite 4200 for $299 or zeiss conquest for $389. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I own both of those scopes and both are quality scopes. My vote for better, however, goes to the Zeiss. I own three Conquests, with one 3-9x40 among them and wish I had (read that, could afford) 10 more! Perhaps the BEST reason to use the Zeiss on that rifle, over the 4200 Elite, would be it's extra eye relief @ 4". On a rifle in .375R I'd prefer a scope with more than 3.3" of eye relief, myself. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just bought the zeiss 3x9x40 conquest. Mounted it and bore sighted. The clearest scope I've looked through. Very excited to shoot it in. Guess I'll wait till the 30" os snow on the ground start to melt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Perhaps the best argument for the Zeiss is their RAPID-Z® ballistic reticles. With a large, relatively slow bullet that you will be shooting, bullet drop is much more of an issue than with a .270 WSM. The Rapid-Z reticles are my favorite reticles for most hunting situations as these give you bullet-drop & windage holds for more range than most people should ever consider. It's fast, easy, and dead-on accurate. Go with the Zeiss with a Rapid-Z reticle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like the Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5, it is an ideal woods scope, strong as heck and very clear. I also Had a Burris Signature, I bought on eBay a few years ago on sale and put it on a 35 Whelen. I think it was 1.5-6 and it was a good clear scope. If I were to get a Zies, I would buy the German one, not the Conquest. You get with you pay for and for my money, Leupold is always been good. I have had a few older Burris that were good, not as clear, but strong. I would stay away for a big objective lens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts