Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P-14 in 340 Weatherby Magnum and I need to put it in a stock. Trying to decide whether to buy a synthetic stock or a laminate one. Suggestions on which to get.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,023 Posts
Probably a little heavier too, and the extra weight may be your friend as far as dealing with recoil.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have swapped out every Synthetic I have ever gotten with a laminate. Done right, they can also be very beautiful. JMHO

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Here are a couple of mine. A Boyd's Coyote Laminate in the Featherweight Thumbhole. Also a Richards Safari Monte Carlo in Tigerwood laminate.

Boyds 22-250.jpg Richards 308.jpg

·
Registered
799 Posts
" Laminate" a polite word for plywood . Laminate / plywood gunstocks are cheap and ugly ... what's wrong with a nice stock of real wood and a hand rubber oil finish ... Too old school I guess .
Gary

·
Registered
634 Posts
Gary,
There is a big difference between plywood and a laminate stock. Plywood uses pulp wood as filler between the outside layers and the wood layers are placed with grain at 90 degree angles. Laminate stocks use good wood throughout without voids or plugs. Plywood is made from lathe cut wet wood and stocks are made from saw cut lumber that is surface finished. The glue used to bond the wood is typically an epoxy and is waterproof. If plywood was made like laminate stocks it would cost 5+ times as much.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gary doesn’t care about the details of gunstock laminates, he likes “real wood”. Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks.

I used to be a walnut/blued steel kinda guy, but over the past 25 years I’ve embraced technology. I now have laminated stocks on ten different rifles, and half are aftermarket products. To me they look great, are stiffer and more stable than walnut or some synthetics, and add a bit if weight on heavily-recoiling rifles. But I respect the plastic stock guys as well as the walnut folks. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same stuff....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like real wood too. I also have some synthetic stocks that I wouldn't change for the world. Have a few beautiful wood stocks here. I don't have any laminate stocks on guns yet. Do have a Richards one here to install. I think this one will come from Boyd's. Being in Canada these are easier to get.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My first laminate stock was a Walnut/Maple that I put on an XP-100 about 40 years ago. I must have done about 25 coats of Tru-oil. I let it get away from me when somebody offered me a ridiculous amount of money for it. One of my biggest regrets. I love a good Walnut or Maple stock too.

101_6630.JPG 7 mauser 95 FN.jpg

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I prefer the beauty of fine walnut and nicely grained maple. But I do understand the use for a good laminate which are all but indestructible and a Lightweight synthetic in bad weather or extra harsh conditions.

A couple of my laminates and a couple of my favorite wood handles.

IMG_20200731_131933234~2.jpg IMG_20200608_134750729.jpg

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I really like that Maple stock in the right photo.
Thanks.

That's a M70 Super Grade in .308. I looked for a good while to find one with the grain I preferred. Then, I found that they did a run of Featherweights with maple and I searched for another with grain I liked until I found a Featherweight in .308.

The 3rd one is a SS Featherweight in 06 which I found to be a handsome marriage with dark maple.

IMG_20200731_132624702~3.jpg IMG_20200731_132624702~4.jpg

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Premium Member
15,482 Posts
I have four laminated stocks. All are original Model 98 service rifles. The only plastic in my gun room/safe belongs to lawyers. And they're quarantined. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a P-14 in 340 Weatherby Magnum and I need to put it in a stock. Trying to decide whether to buy a synthetic stock or a laminate one. Suggestions on which to get.
Laminate looks and feels great... HOWEVER - If you plan to hunt or otherwise are exposed to very wet conditions then I would suggest a good synthetic stock and bed it. I took a beautiful laminated stock Ruger M77 on a wet Alaskan hunt and after a few days of exposure the water got into it and swelled it to the point it bowed the stainless magazine floorplate almost to the point of not holding into the latch. Ruger was great and replaced the stock and I promptly sold the new laminated stock and bedded an HS Precision stock that performs great. Just a consideration for you. No wood can ever be counted on to stay waterproof IMHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts