Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a relative said, "Pick a cartridge from the distant past, and a lever gun that shoots it, and I will place it under your tree," which would you pick and why?

Make it good as it's your present,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would pick

A 45-60 cartridge in a winchester 76 or 86....If I can use smokeless powder I can get performance from a 45 colt up to 45-70 in power. Plus it is a round that has always facinated me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm... T'Wolf, you gonna adopt me?

I think Bill is close to right here, but a Savage 99 in 250 Savage would be the ticket for me. They have fascinated me, and I wish I had bought the last one I looked at... so many guns, so little cash, so little time.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Winchester 1886 in 50-110. This rifle and caliber has always facinated me. I could load it with BP and or Smokeless and have a blast. (pun intended).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Santa could drop off an 1895 in 35Win. with a mint bore and 95% condition and I'd truly believe in Santa. I consider this one of the most useful cartridges Winchester ever put in that rifle and it was sorely unappreciated by a lot of hunters. Stupidly, I let the several that I owned 45 years ago pass through my hands and haven't seen a really nice one since. (At least at a price I could afford).

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I'll go with J Miller on this one and take the 1886 in the 50-110. Unless of course you consider falling block single shots "levers" (hey, they do have a lever), then it would be a Sharps in the 45-110.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Make mine an 1895 Winchester custom chambered for the .35 Whelen. And equip it with one of the original peep sights. I saw one of these advertised for sale on one of the online gun auctions a while back and almost cried when I saw the price tag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too will go with a .250 Savage 99.

A Winchester 64 in .32 Special would make me smile.

A Winchester 71 like I saw just yesterday, oh yes!

An 1886 in .40-60 would be lots of fun!

Too many guns and I have yet to win the LOTTERY!

·
Registered
572 Posts
How distant past? One of the only guns that I realy hankered for was a little lever action Savage chambered for the 250-3000. I saw this little jewel while on my first ever deer hunt with my dad. I have wanted one ever since.

I feel pretty content with my 45/70 but am planning on adding a .45Colt/.454Casull for "light work"...I believe Rossi is coming out with one in stainless this summer.

I would add that ANY lever action found under the tree would not be rejected or neglected!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a bit shocked that no one has mentioned the Browning 1886 Carbine in 45-70 as being a great gift. Is it because they are so scarce? Too pricey? Are they not generally accurate and fun to shoot even with heavy loads?

Happy Holidays,
Timberwolf :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Win 86

Well, OK, if I gotta take one, I supose I could stand a '86 in 45-70.

Actually, for that matter, an '86 in any caliber would be highly cherished in my gunsafe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Jimmy. I have several friends who have Browning 86's and they literally "go to pieces" over them. They all agree that they're just a bit heavy compared to the Winchester 94 for instance, but they extol their praises (accuracy, balance, and ability to help cushion the recoil from heavy loads from Buffalo Bore and Garrett ammo). The Browning 86 is not readily available on the market, and even the USED ones bring a premium!

Kindest regards,
Timberwolf :)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I think I just picked

The marlin 336cb in 38-55, thanks to Leadflinger. It's as beautiful as he described it. A man of his word.

It'll fill the gap in the 30 to 40 calibers.:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
m141a, CONGRATULATIONS! You have an absolutely beautiful firearm. Compared to the Winchester, I'm not a big fan of Marlins, but in your case I must say, "I'm tempted to go and ... one." Well, I'd better not say "buy one" because I might do it, then return home to a good verbal beating from you know who. :D I can see her face now :mad: . I can even hear her ask, "Why did you go out and buy another rifle you...you...you..." Then, she looks at the beautiful Marlin 38-55 and says, "As I was saying...you...you...you MAN WITH GREAT TASTE!" :) No joke, good looking rifle!

Enjoy,
Timberwolf :eek:

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
After 12 Winnies, this is my first Marlin. I like it, but I've gotten spoiled by those sloppy 94 actions.

Hey would my 1918 Model 1894 Winnie in 30wcf qualify, even though I've owned it for a bit.
;)

Chris~

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm waiting to find an '86 lightweight takedown, rapid taper bbl, full mag., shotgun butt,.40-82 WCF under the tree. I found one and put my name on it. We'll see.
Wishing y'all a happy and blessed Christmas,
Mike

1 - 20 of 51 Posts