Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little ranger, in 45 Colt, notice a bulge shape in brass after firing.   At least it seemed to be, going to load some more up, and measure things this time.   Has any one out there seen the same thing, and what can I do to repair it…  Don’t want to send back, to close to hunting season.   And I am sure Winchester will say that it is within specs…  Just afraid it will split cases over time…     Also I am interested in a peep (aperture) sight for deer hunting. Can any one refer me to a distributor with a fair price?   Or is there a better style out there for my fast handling needs…       Thanks….

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Scout,

By "bulge shape" are you referring to the area near the case head?

I'm also assuming that the case tends to bulge to one side just above the case head area? If so this is quite common. Cases rarely expand evenly around their circumference at the pressure ring. Gravity tends to let the unfired case lie on the bottom of the chamber especially if there is no rim counterbore in the chamber. Also brass can be "softer" at some points more than others around its circumference. Some sizing dies, especially carbide ones can really size down the cases excessively also amplifying the condition.

If you are referring to a large bulge or something way out of the ordinary on fired cases, you may have a jugged cylinder or a faulty chamber cut.

Can you explain a little further if need be?

FWIW,

Ray

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bulge shape I am trying to describe looks like a small guppy shape about half way up. Not real big, just slightly enlarged on the bottom near base of brass.  The brass was new Starline brass. And did not make the same shape in my Redhawk. It was full circumference.                                                             And again, just slightly. I loaded a 250 cast over 20.3 grains of 2400 if that makes a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts