Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting very interested in the 7mm international rimmed for my contender..
Anyone shoot this cartridge?
Thoughts ?
Thinking I might rechamber one of my TCU barrel's...
I have three 10" 7tcu barrel's.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Just curious, is there a specific reason for choosing the wildcat 7mm Int. Rimmed over the 7-30 Waters? I don't have either, I have a 7mm Super Mag (PITA case to form) barrel TC and a 7mm IHMSA Wichita MK 40, so I don't speak with personal experience, but from what I read, most seem to recommend the more 'modern' and available 7-30 Waters.
Also, if you go the 7mm Int. R. route, case selection/choice comes into play for the higher pressure loads often listed (i.e. case web thickness).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, is there a specific reason for choosing the wildcat 7mm Int. Rimmed over the 7-30 Waters? I don't have either, I have a 7mm Super Mag (PITA case to form) barrel TC and a 7mm IHMSA Wichita MK 40, so I don't speak with personal experience, but from what I read, most seem to recommend the more 'modern' and available 7-30 Waters.
Also, if you go the 7mm Int. R. route, case selection/choice comes into play for the higher pressure loads often listed (i.e. case web thickness).

Well.. ? Just to have something different.
Already have a 7-30 waters.
And several TCUs..
And 30-30 Ackley improved.
Just wanting to try the 7mm international rimmed..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have one T/C 7 Rimmed barrel that I used to shoot metallic silhouette with. It is moactually a rechambered 7TCU barrel, and I had a Bullberry custom 7 R barrel as well. I sold it a while back as I haven't shot silhouette in about 30 years. Both barrels were (in my opinion) more accurate than 30-30 barrels, but I believe that the TCU's were slightly more accurate than than the 7R. Although when I shot silhouette, 7TCU's outnumbered the R's 5 or 6 to one. Bolt guns in things like 30 BR and 7mm IHMSA ran circles around and single shot. Still, all in all, I really like the 7R. Don't think there is much in the way of loading data for them. I developed a load of AA5744 with a gas checked 140 grain cast that scored about as good as I could shoot.................................................................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one T/C 7 Rimmed barrel that I used to shoot metallic silhouette with. It is moactually a rechambered 7TCU barrel, and I had a Bullberry custom 7 R barrel as well. I sold it a while back as I haven't shot silhouette in about 30 years. Both barrels were (in my opinion) more accurate than 30-30 barrels, but I believe that the TCU's were slightly more accurate than than the 7R. Although when I shot silhouette, 7TCU's outnumbered the R's 5 or 6 to one. Bolt guns in things like 30 BR and 7mm IHMSA ran circles around and single shot. Still, all in all, I really like the 7R. Don't think there is much in the way of loading data for them. I developed a load of AA5744 with a gas checked 140 grain cast that scored about as good as I could shoot.................................................................

What was your barrel length ?
Ten or 14" ?
I have a super 14 that's been cut to 11.25.
Giving some thought to let my gun Smith buddy rechamber it to the 7mm INT-R
It sounds like a perfect case for shooting cast boolits..
And it's different.. I like different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Your post makes me want a 7mm INT-R even more.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
My T/C barrel is a 14. The Bullberry was 15 with a built in muzzle brake. (Not really needed as the recoil of the 7R not bad at all) Had a 10 inch 30-30 that was fairly brutal. During my years of silhouette shooting, I managed consistent 37/38 out of 40. Those 2 or 3 misses not gun or cartridge related but was the shooter. Was looking at some specs today. It seems the 7R and the 7-30AI are basically the same. I really like the sharper shoulder angle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My T/C barrel is a 14. The Bullberry was 15 with a built in muzzle brake. (Not really needed as the recoil of the 7R not bad at all) Had a 10 inch 30-30 that was fairly brutal. During my years of silhouette shooting, I managed consistent 37/38 out of 40. Those 2 or 3 misses not gun or cartridge related but was the shooter. Was looking at some specs today. It seems the 7R and the 7-30AI are basically the same. I really like the sharper shoulder angle.

I have two extra 7tcu barrel's..
One's a 10 inch 8 groove..
The other is a super 14" that was cut back to 11.25.. 6 groove.
I'll probably rechamber the six groove to 7mm INT-R.
Getting excited about this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have two extra 7tcu barrel's..
One's a 10 inch 8 groove..
The other is a super 14" that was cut back to 11.25.. 6 groove.
I'll probably rechamber the six groove to 7mm INT-R.
Getting excited about this

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If needed, you may be able to contact IHMSA (International handgun metallic silhouette association) and download data to reload by for the 7R. I don't see why 7-30 data couldn't be interchanged, starting light and working up slowly of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If needed, you may be able to contact IHMSA (International handgun metallic silhouette association) and download data to reload by for the 7R. I don't see why 7-30 data couldn't be interchanged, starting light and working up slowly of course.
I did manage to get some dies for the 7IR bought.
I always wanted a 7mm-Herrett.
The 7IR is about as close as I can get?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I
Since they are different cases, which case would you use for a start basis for a 7mm Herrett, the 30 Herrett or the 357 Herrett? The 357 would be closer to the 7IR.
All of the above begin life as the .30-30, so it shouldn't matter which you choose. I did however form my match cases from .375 Winchester. Wouldn't have thought in the 80s that .375 cases would be kinda hard to find

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
All of the above begin life as the .30-30, so it shouldn't matter which you choose. I did however form my match cases from .375 Winchester. Wouldn't have thought in the 80s that .375 cases would be kinda hard to find
Right, while the parent case for both is the 30-30, the 30 vs. 357 Herretts are distinctly different case dimensions when in final form. Just curious if the intention is to use the smaller 30 or larger 357 as the starting point for a 'new wildcat' called the 7mm Herrett. Either should be a good cast bullet cartridge with their neck lengths. My 7mm Super Mag has about a 1/8" neck length, which maximizes case capacity of the parent 357 Max case, but certainly leaves much to be desired as a cast bullet case.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I suppose that if I were to try it, I'd start with .30-30 cases as they should be easier to obtain and work with. Forming 7R is a simple pass thru FL die and a fireform.
I guess I'm saying it wrong, my failure to communicate.
What my question is: Would the proposed final 7mm Herrett have the same case dimensions as a 30 Herrett, only with a 7mm bore/bullet, or would it have the same case dimensions as a 357 Herrett, only with a 7mm bore/bullet? Or, would it be something altogether different than either, and simply attaching the Herret name to it?
The 357 Herrett case size is longer and a greater capacity than the 30 Herrett, yes?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I guess I'm saying it wrong, my failure to communicate.
What my question is: Would the proposed final 7mm Herrett have the same case dimensions as a 30 Herrett, only with a 7mm bore/bullet, or would it have the same case dimensions as a 357 Herrett, only with a 7mm bore/bullet? Or, would it be something altogether different than either, and simply attaching the Herret name to it?
The 357 Herrett case size is longer and a greater capacity than the 30 Herrett, yes?
Yes, I see what you are saying now. Sorry about the confusion. I think that I would want it to have the same dimensions as the .30 Herrett, just necked down to .284. Thinking about that though, I am wondering if any real advantage would be gained over the 7TCU. I am thinking that case capacities would be fairly close. Seems to me that if you kept the .357 length, it would be basically the same as the 7R.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes, I see what you are saying now. Sorry about the confusion. I think that I would want it to have the same dimensions as the .30 Herrett, just necked down to .284. Thinking about that though, I am wondering if any real advantage would be gained over the 7TCU. I am thinking that case capacities would be fairly close. Seems to me that if you kept the .357 length, it would be basically the same as the 7R.
You're probably right, I think any real advantage would be more in one's mind, but there's nothing wrong with doing something just for the sake of doing it...something different! I have a 6.5 TCU, which is also a nice little cartridge. With all the nice bullets available today, maybe a 6.5 Herrett, eh? Think 6.5 JDJ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts