Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i find myself hunting all the game i go after with a few wildcats i have. it really started a few hrs ago but that would be a lie. i keep telling myself that most things in my past are just a few yrs ago but if i look at it in a calendar i see that most things i call a few yrs ago are way more then that :confused:
time seems to get away from you when you dont really keep track of it and when you do it must slip away even faster.
my first real wildcat was a 6.5-284 . a very good friend and hunting buddy at the time [ he past away a cpl yrs ago ] had a cpl 6.5-284's built on rem action and a few other nice parts added . these 2 rifles turned out to be what what we were after and that was to reach out easier to some whitetails we like to hunt.

well 1 wildcat turned to 2 then well you get the idea. can these wildcats do a given job better all across the board ? no not really like so many guys like to talk themselves into . what they can do for me is give me a job to work at starting with getting the wildcat then working up a load that will shoot nice grouops then work around that load to use a given bullet for the job you plan to use it for like bench shooting or varmint or hunting . the hunting part can then turn into what size of game and how far would you like to have it work well at . also the rifle you choose can be off the shelf or custom built and will it be heavy or more on the light side for those hunts that takes you to the top of those high moutains

so after having a rifle built then working up a load then finding what hunting bullet or bullets you want to use for which game . these things can all take a lot of time and when you do get the chance to take it out on a hunt and find what you are hunting and you pull the trigger and you hear the bullet it and you watch that [ fill in the blank with your animal here ] drops with 1 shot you now see all that time and money and bench time all pay off .
for me this makes me feel like i really did something and that is why i choose to hunt with a wildcat

i am not saying i am better then then the guy/gal that walks into a sporting goods store and graps a 30-06 off the shelf that already has a bore sighted scope and grabs a box of shells and heads out to get an elk in the morning.
but for me the wildcat thing works and like they say why fix what aint broke :)

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I hunt with several. As you say the numbers grow over time.
For me its just part of the hobby. I enjoy reloading and experimenting with different loads.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The reasons I enjoy hunting, and enjoy loading/shooting wildcat cartridges, are different, but I surely like them both. I have a couple of true wildcats and a couple other obsolete cartridges I reload for and hunt with. Doing something your own way, with stuff you made yourself, has a certain level of built-in gratification, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I have one. I do believe probably the only one, a 257 Roberts Rimmed Improved (RRI) I now use that almost exclusively for deer and have shot a few average size pigs as well. Now using Barnes TTSX which do the job.
Of course any fox which walks by also feels the sting of that TTSX. Just different and here in the UK I enjoy the blank stare when someone asks you what you are shooting :)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have one. I do believe probably the only one, a 257 Roberts Rimmed Improved (RRI) I now use that almost exclusively for deer and have shot a few average size pigs as well. Now using Barnes TTSX which do the job.
Of course any fox which walks by also feels the sting of that TTSX. Just different and here in the UK I enjoy the blank stare when someone asks you what you are shooting :)
Heck, here in the US of A, I can confuse hunters enough just by saying .257 R, .270 WSM, .300 RCM, 338 FED, 338 RCM, .35 Whelen, .358 Win, .350 RM, 9.3X62 and 9.3X74R. If it ain't .243, 270, .308, 30/06, 300mag, 338mag then many haven't a clue.:D

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
For beanfield type shooting, I use a 280 Ackley Improved. With bullets of 140 grains or less, it'll give the 7MM Remington Magnum a run for it's money! The darned cartridges look so purty though that I have to remind myself that they're for deer hunting and not jewelry!

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Closest I've ever had to a wildcat was a .257AI.

Owning a wildcat always intrigues me but seem to find myself tweeking conventional chamberings and working loads to get the accuracy I desire.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have had 2 true wildcats before they were submitted for commercial recognition. One I never shot anything with was a 6.5-284 Winchester, had the barrel rough chambered and never fitted it!!
The other is my 375 Weatherby, I had my Win Mod 70 classic stainless in 375 H&H re-chambered in 1989.
I also have a 338-06, 22-250AI and a 257AI, the latter 2 I do not consider wildcats, the 338-06 was once a wildcat, byt no longer is.
I hunt with them all often.

Cheers.
:D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have not hunted with a standard cartridge in years. For myself, and the platforms I choose to hunt with, the only interesting calibers are either wildcats or near wildcats, i.e., factory loaded by some small companies but not by any major ammo makers. Matters not to me, I haven't shot a factory load in decades and don't plan on starting any time soon.
Plus, it's really fun to have something unique. While I don't shoot it a lot, it never fails to get attention when I break out my semi-automatic .470 Nitro Express equivalent (.470 Rhino) with a magazine that holds 10 or 11 rounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same here big bore i have not grabbed a box of ammo off a store shelf in maybe 40 yrs.
looking at the prices some of them are asking you would think everybody would be reloading

i forgot to list a few of the wildcats i use
6.5-284 on a 700 with some blueprinting
25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to .257 ] 3 in cooper model 21 and 1 nula model 20s all single shot
35 ellis [ 30 rem necked up to 35 with a few tweeks to the case and neck ] 1 in nula model 20s single shot
416 express on a ula

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
30 Herrett.

Because it is the smallest 10" barrel pistol that gives me the same energy at 100 yards as a 44 mg gives at the muzzle!

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I started hunting with a wildcat 25-06 before it was offered by the factory in '68 and a Whelen in '76. I've shot a lot of game with a 458x2 built on a flat bolt M77 .350 Rem Mag.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I don't hunt. I have no desire to go wading deep into the bush or high upon a mountain, shoot something, dress it out and then have to drag it down to base camp. I'm too old for that. I suppose my rounds would make great hunting rounds. I'll never know unless somebody builds a rifle for themselves using my designs-- and somehow manages to tell me about it. Until then, my concern is to reach 4000 pounds-feet of muzzle energy from the .358 Sierra Stomper when using a 250-grain bullet (will need 2684 fps to do that) and to get a one-minute group with ten shots from 1000 yards with the Desert Magnum...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tnhunter hit the nail right on the head! I'd never even heard of most of these calibers until the last 10 years on the internet. If you was a deer hunter it was with a 30-30, 30-06, 35Rem, and a what? 270! And a few of the odd-ball Millimeter's our dads had packed home from WWII. I never got into reloading, just never made any sense to me but I now wish I'd gotten into it years ago cause come to find out this rifle shooting is more fun than all the high horsepower muscle-cars! If you was wanting to experiment with different loads, then you got yourself a good muzzleloader. I thought a 22Hornet and 25-20 was a wildcat! But now I'd have a ball with all the short bolt small calibers! And that dragging out meat is just not my cup of tea either. My meat is always hanging on a stick thru their paws or the breast meat cut out and wrapped up in my haversack, cooking and eating it that same day. Only reason for dragging it out was to skin it out for the fur. That's my kind of hunting and shooting fun.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
same here big bore i have not grabbed a box of ammo off a store shelf in maybe 40 yrs.
looking at the prices some of them are asking you would think everybody would be reloading

i forgot to list a few of the wildcats i use
6.5-284 on a 700 with some blueprinting
25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to .257 ] 3 in cooper model 21 and 1 nula model 20s all single shot
35 ellis [ 30 rem necked up to 35 with a few tweeks to the case and neck ] 1 in nula model 20s single shot
416 express on a ula
Tell us more about this 35 Ellis...perhaps in a different thread, if need be.

Is this based on the original 30 Remington, or the 30 Remington AR? (Totally different cartridges)

If based on the latter (newer) cartridge, it's something I'd be interested in, for sure. If it's based on the original 30 Remington, and it has an "improved" design, that would cool, as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that 35 ellis is based on the 30 rem NOT the 30 rem AR
very easy to load for and some what mild on recoil when put up next to my savage 99 in 358

i have a few different loads for this with 180 gr and 200 gr

i have the reamer if you get to the point of building a rifle

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
that 35 ellis is based on the 30 rem NOT the 30 rem AR
very easy to load for and some what mild on recoil when put up next to my savage 99 in 358

i have a few different loads for this with 180 gr and 200 gr

i have the reamer if you get to the point of building a rifle
Would you be able to post a picture of a 35 Ellis round, or perhaps list the case length and OAL?

It's probably too long for the Indiana regulations to be legal for deer hunting.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
I'm in the same camp as Broom, I have a few different reasons depending upon the specific cartridge.
With an occasional exception for patent brass, I also haven't bought factory ammo in a very long time. Overall for me it comes down to desires. Cartridges really are no different than any other appliance to me. Something catches my eye, and I give it a whirl, I don't need to fit in a group or use a thing that may be around for 100 years. Some things have been far too much effort for me to continue, some haven't. As long as I'm hunting or shooting I don't really care what I'm doing it with. I'll shoot until I feel I've mastered it, then find the next intriguing thing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts