Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. My neighbor just gave me a hippopotamus tusk that he brought back from Africa 25 or so years ago. It split down the middle but it looks to me like there is plenty of material to make a set of grips for my Bisley. Do any of you have a recommendation of who could make these grips for me to match the shape of the factory grips? I am considering having some scrimshaw done on them like my initials on one side and a bear on the other side. So ideally I would send them to an artisan who could do both. Any ideas on what it would cost to turn the tusk into grips and to do the scrimshaw work? Thanks, Brian.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
I do have a recommendation for custom grips. Scott Kolar did a few sets for me. Let me know if you can't find him (I have his email address somewhere) but the easiest thing to do is head over to www.sixgunner.com and post a message on either the forums or the 'campfire' that you are looking for him. Lots of folks over there have had him do work and his stuff is very good.

Now.... I'm not sure about scrimshaw. He could definitely fit them to the frame and leave some extra material if it's necessary to have someone else do that work. Just ask, I'm sure it's come up before, and he might already have someone in mind. The grips he did for me were wood but I know he works with ivory & some other interesting materials like bone.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
I've had Blu Magnum do several grips for me, one pair in presentation walnut and one pair in Micarta and both pair were excellent. He offers a number of different styles and I prefer his Taffin style (slim). He lists ivory as one of the materials offered.

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Marshall:
That fist link that you gave is a reseller of the link that I gave. The maker of thouse grips is a real old time cratsman. And he is always happy to talk to people about their concerns. a real good guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts