Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new (used) WINCHESTER MODEL 94 30-30 Lever Action (Mfd 1973) yesterday afternoon and had to leave work early to "test her out"...

Wow, I like this rifle! Light, nimble, that shorty barrel is awesome and yes I liked how she grouped even though I was just trying her out off-hand. I tested 2 different grain bullets and 3 different manufacturers. 150 grain to 170 grain. Just slightly different point of aim but they all grouped very well. Even though it is the stock buttplate, not much kick at all.

I can see how this IS an outstanding deer, bear, and hog rifle for woods and brush hunting.

I really like the older wood and the metal quality and the aesthetics of this compared to ANY of the new or newer lever actions I have seen or picked up in the gun stores. They seem like toys to me. This older Model 94 is a "RIFLE".

I wanted a pre-1964 but the price was right for this one and I wanted a hunting gun not a safe-queen. A pre-1964 might not get used because of the collector value.

Anyway, this is my FIRST lever action and I am all psyched and happy with it, and I was wondering if others could pipe in with comments?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a 94 made in 1902 in 32 special. It's a wall hanger for no reason than I have better leverguns for my purposes. Nothing wrong, just the others are better suited for what I do, where I live and what I like.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha!

Hey I didn't call it "old"!!! I said older.... huge difference. 1973 is well about 40 years old! That is hardly a new cheap looking lever action! :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The older Winchester Model 94 (Before they made them AE) were great!!;) I bought one back in 1970 in .44 Magnum.:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,025 Posts
How 'bout my 1897 made '94?

Bore is pretty pitted from years of BP use and not much cleaning, but still shoots pretty darn'd good with gas checked 173 gr cast!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kdub---Wow, sounds interesting. Can we get a picture or two? I'd like to see that!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I really like the older wood and the metal quality and the aesthetics of this compared to ANY of the new or newer lever actions I have seen or picked up in the gun stores. They seem like toys to me. This older Model 94 is a "RIFLE".
ironically, the newer Win 94's are actually used higher quality materials than their predecessors and are of better build than any of the post 64's up to the early 80's. This is why you see so many on gunbroker.com that have pitting/speckling on the receiver. just sayin'

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
In a case of totally confused memories, I ended up with one of two model 94s in 30-30 that were owned by my dad and brother. MY brother has claimed for years that the pristine model I have had since I was 16 was the one he bought in 1962. Neither he or my dad could recollect what happened to the other rifles. I recently checked the serial number and found out mine is from 1948. So I have been carrying my dad's rifle around for a long time, not my brother's. I seldom use it, but it's a nice rifle and in certain places I still get it out and take it for a walk. I probably haven't killed anything much with it for about 15 years, but it accounted for my first elk, and a few deer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have possibly one of 16 delux model 1894s ever made with case color hardened receiver. Only 157 model 1894s were ever made with cased hardened receivers and of those, perhaps only 16 were delux models.
Serial number 138xx made in 1895 I believe. Bert Hartman told me its worth a ton.

·
Registered
134 Posts
http://www.shootersforum.com/winchester-94-lever-guns/74197-new-me-32-special-its-way.html

This is the link to my post on my M94 32 Special, 1951, 2 years older than me.

A simple working man's carbine, one of millions and it handles and shoots like a dream. The 32 Special was popular in Canada among moose hunters.

Cancer has robbed me of moose hunting and my trusted 444 is replaced by this gun for wood's loafing and deer hunting in the Alberta bush. The 444's retirement includes duty as the family camp rifle in grizzly country.

·
Registered
676 Posts

My nephew using my woods walking gun on his first deer hunt. A Win 94 32 spcl made when my mother, his great grandmother was 16 years old. I don't count that as one of my old guns, that would be my 25-20 and my great grandpas old 12 gauge.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My new girlfriend came over for a few days visit. First let me say she is about 5'3" and 115 pounds soak and wet. Just cause she asked I let her shoot a flintlock for the first time. She laughed and thought it was very cool. (good response) And then as a chaser I handed her my 30-30, 1894 Winchester.... loaded it with lighter 150 grainers so the recoil would be less than the usual 170's I usually shoot.

First: She is a good shot! Second she would not put the rifle down. She just kept wanting to shoot more of that lever action.

The short barrel and light weight makes it ideal for a smaller shooter.... that is a BIG plus.

I like the light weight for carrying it all day in the woods.

Reason for post----If you wonder what gun most women can shoot: Lever action 1894 in 30-30.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts