Shooters Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sure looks like a lot of history right there, HiD. Just an interesting anecdote-this past weekend I attended a traditional archery rendezvous in Southwestern Ontario and I fellow I was competing with talked about his latest deer success of 2015 and kept talking about his Winchester 32. Needless to say the conversation led to his gun, which he has had great success with-a model 94, of course of 1902 vintage. It has been a family heirloom from that date and he says it handles smooth, no rattles and all he and his Dad have ever used. I think he would be in his mid sixties now.

·
Registered
472 Posts
... I had a peep put on it about 25 years ago but did not like it. Trouble was I didn't ask for the original screws back and now am missing the forward tang screw. If anyones got a box of old Win screws lying about I sure could use one...

Screws are available here. Very good quality.

Tapadera's Winchesters -Jim's Parts List

You need the upper tang filler screw I believe.

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
Just today, an advertisement showed up in a regional THrifty Nickle--- Winchester Model 94, 30WCF, $550.
It has to be a reblued, refinished gun with a butt pad, right? I called the guy and he said it had been in a saddle scabbard some and had a tang sight, but he really didn't know any more. I asked if he'd take $500 cash and he said he would. I drove a hundred miles to pick up a 1943 Carbine with serrated butt, Marbles original tang sight and a solid 90% original condition with bright bore. I wish I could do that three times a week!

Even a blind hog finds the occasional acorn.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have a 25-35 SRC (1920 ish), I traded a shwin bike for it in 1949...I have my granddads 38-40 mod. 92 rifle serial no. 178, and his 94 30-30 serial no. 2425 both first year of production rifles and they are Texas Ranger guns he purchased thru the Ranger service around 1920. They are all very accurate and shoot under two inches at 100 yards, the 30-30 is the most accurate lever gun I have ever shot or seen..I have another Eastern Carbine ( a SRC without the SR) 30-30, and its super accurate also...Im nostalgic and still hunt Mule Deer and Whitetail with these guns every year..I have had to pass up on some really nice Mule deer that my 270 or whatever would have been a cinch shot, but hey Ive shot my share of monster muleys, and someone else can shoot those big boys, its time to share, and with me its all about the experience and the table fare these days. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing for old curmudgeons to experience..

·
Registered
625 Posts
M94=the most accidental discharge prone guns ever made. Be Careful.
While there is a preponderance of 'negligent' discharges with M-94s it is mostly due to two very specific reasons -
first being due to the fact the M-94 has probably been used by more people than any other particular brand and model of rifle - ever - due to sheer numbers AND - because of the numbers in use probably more of them (again than any other particular rife) have seen a lot of hard use - and abuse. I know of one person who was deer hunting with and old family heirloom 1929 M-94 and while walking back to his truck he was letting the hammer down and it slipped half-cock and discharged - through his right rear tire.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Like it

Here's a pic of mine. Not original as the barrel, forearm, and magazine tube were replaced with mod. 64 parts during the war (WWII) due to no availability of new parts. Original rifle was from 1901. Bore is surprisingly in minty condition considering.
Thanks for sharing the pic. It looks almost identical to my 1921 version that was my granddad's. I'm not surprised you had to replace the magazine tube - mine was pretty rusty inside when I got it, and the steel is not that thick to begin with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You lovers of old Mod. 94's will understand and appreciate this: Last Saturday morning, I harvested a deer with the Mod. 94 that I got earlier this year from a relative. It was my granddad's, manufactured in 1921. I know it's been at least 60-70 years since that gun took a deer. I hope 50 years from now, my grandkids are hunting using some guns I hand down to them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got 3 30-30's. 2 of them from the early 50's within 100 numbers of each other. The other is one from 73. One was free, one was $250 in 2015 with a broke firing pin and the last one was $300 last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mod 94s

Old thread but fun to read about all the lever guns still out there.

I have 7 different lever guns in Marlin and Winchester but my favorite three are
Mod 92, saddle ring carbine in 25-20 made in 1914 a real tack driver,

model 94 38-55 with 28" oct barrel and factory tang peep rear sight. made in 1901 still in pristine condition and fun to shoot.

and a mod 94, 30 W.C.F made in 1915..

This has been my go to gun since the mid fifties and that old 30-30 has taken more mule deer than I can count, two, antelope, several bull elk and one bull moose in 1985.

The 38-55 has taken several mulies but never used her on any other big game.

UF

·
Registered
286 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to be able to shoot deer out west unless you had a bolt gun in a magnum with a big scope on it.... you must be doing something wrong... (or else you have the stalking and shooting skills of a true hunter!)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Mine is 30-30 bought for $60 in fall 65. It is ok. Son shot a deer w/ it about 6 yrs ago. I missed several deer w/ it in 65??

I don't understand the comment up quite a ways about the 94s being prone to ADs??

How may have had an AD w/ their 94?

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
How may have had an AD w/ their 94?
Enough to cause Winchester to re-design. I own a 1962 M94 that killed a guy when the butt slipped off the boat gunnel. They many times can't take a fall of 30 inches on the hammer and that became a SAAMI 'standard'.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to be able to shoot deer out west unless you had a bolt gun in a magnum with a big scope on it
And it's the same people who say a 30-30 isn't adequate for deer - and then go pick up a bow to go hunt them - NOTHING against bow hunting - did it for many years - but a 30-30 is ENTIRELY adequate for deer within it's effective range and I have always told people hunt with a Winchester like they are hunting with a muzzleloader.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts