141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
1973 = "older" ? ?

Wow - I was in my 30's by then, with two kids. :rolleyes:

I better get ready for the Dirt Nap........................ :p

Hahaha Me to almost :p

This is my longest 1894 also my shortest;) The long gun has all of John Browning's patents ,"B" hammer
LH rail spring, notched elevator ,Double set trigger, and External rail screws, 32'' octagon barrel, 26'' mag.
Standard wood,Tang sight only in 38-55 #404X June 1895 .......She shoots & She's Old:D

The short one ..:rolleyes: SRC 30WFC 16'' replacement proof barrel Gum Wood and she was made
in Dec.1912 #64554X

Thanks for looking

Ol Deuce

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my Grandfather's first rifle. A model 94 .30WCF with full length magazine, (26"?) long barrel and curved metal butt plate. I believe if memory serves it was made in 1907? He bought it used from a family friend when he was 8 years old. Cost him $2 and had to split and pile the old fellows winter firewood for him. He was born in 1921 so it would have been 1929 when he bought the rifle. It's a rough old gal thats seen a ton of use and due to corrosive primers way back no longer has much rifling left in the barrel but it's definitely a sentimental piece. I also have his Model 71 .348Win. (last year production 1958?) and a Model 64 Deluxe Carbine .30WCF (1935) that belonged to his father(my Great Grandfather).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have my Grandfathers 1894 rifle ! It stayed in the pump house at his home until the middle 50s when my Uncle noticed
in the corner . It's a 32-40 and the bore is really bad but every once in awhile I do make it go bang just for my Granddad.
It's like a rustic almost brown gun ,but not really beat up ! a ding or 2 in the wood .just a way cool 1894 Winchester!

Ol Deuce
IMG_2928.jpg Grandpas 3240.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 1956 Winchester 3030 it is in great shape I'm really happy with the gun
I want to post some photos but I'm on my cell phone and I can't seem to figure out how to do that

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have two '94 Winchesters, a factory-damaged 1926 deluxe with the double set triggers and a 16" trapper 32 special from 1980 or 81. the deluxe had a 38-55 barrel when I got it, but it had extensive acid damage to the barrel's exterior and I re-barreled it to 25-35 with a 26" octagon I got offa ebay. despite a rather dark bore, it shoots very well, as it should with its marble's tang sight and marvelous trigger. the little 32 was a "must buy" when I saw it, 'cuz my great-uncle carried a 32 trapper when he trapped grizz and cougars for bounty in the bitterroots, back in the late nineteenth/early 20th century; it was his favorite shootin' iron. both are great firearms, but the 25-35 is the most fun to shoot. i'd love to know how it came to be damaged, and then got away from the factory with the engraving half-done.
mind yer topknots!
windy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pre 64 lever

I got a pre 64 and it sits in the safe. It's there cause I can't keep it on paper, even at 50 yrds. What's wrong.....I dunno. Muzzle looks fine. Can't get anyone to even look at it. I've had three others, but my kids inherited them. I now have been shooting a Marlin 30-30. Good Gun and very accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Won't hit paper.

I've checked with Winchester and they list a good half dozen contacts. I've checked them all and Honeywell work on my pre-64 model 94 30-30 cal. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a couple 94's, a 30-30 Ranger from the 80's i'm guessing as its too new for the serial number dater. Also a SRC 38-55 made in 1897. Just got a Chief Crazy Horse rifle, 38-55. I used to have a 32Spl. Wrangler and a Trapper in 45 Colt but they got sold. The chamber on that 45 really ballooned the brass, and never really liked the big loop lever on the 32 spl.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1894 Takedown Rifle

May as well keep this post alive as I recently picked up a 94 takedown rifle in .30 WCF made in 1923. It's in really nice shape with a nicely (still) blued 26 inch round barrel. I have yet to shoot it, but plan on trying to do so this weekend if the weather here in Utah (normally dry this time of year) doesn't rain me out again.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only (potential) accidental discharge I have seen was in a used 94 I acquired. I bought it after inspecting it and knew there were some problems with it. The potential accidental discharge would have been caused by a weak spring in the trigger group that did not fully extend the lever actuated safety release to fire the rifle. This along with burnt powder residue mixed with something that looked like tar in the action had to be thoroughly cleaned and lubricated properly.
It really pays to do a thorough c leaning of these older rifles , because past owners may have used anything from tractor grease and oil to whatever they had at hand. Bore

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is a vintage model 94 born in 1947 in 32 Win SPL. This model was known as the "flatband" given the flat surface of the forward barrel band. I believe flatbands were produced only in 1947 and 1948 being the first post-war models produced for the commercial market. Winchester historians would have more information.

Pic:

Bayou52

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just started to reload for my grandads 94 made in 37. I'm shooting 110 gr speer HPFN into an 1 1/2"group at 50yrds. Just plinking and having fun with a gun I got to carry for grampa when he and I walked the logging roads. This started when I was 7-8 years old and he was too old to keep up with the younger hunters. I love that gun and the memories!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Since my post last spring on picking up a take down rifle in .30-30 (made in 1923), I have managed to collect two more. One is another octagon barreled rifle in .38-55 made in 1896 and the other is a carbine from 1928. The carbine had the barrel replaced back in the 80's with one that says "30-30" instead of "30 WCF" but everything else is original. It has a Marble full buckhorn rear sight and shoots great. I picked it up for a song plus change to pack in my truck. The .38-55 had somewhat of a rough bore but shoots pretty well. I got it for a good price as well as the owner said it didn't feed the shells to well. Turns out the carrier was for a .30-30 and not the .38-55. I found the correct one off eBay and replaced it. Smooth as silk now. Even though the barrel is not nickel steel, I have fired a few copper jacked round through it which seemed to help a bit with the bore roughness. With cast bullets I get 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards - still minute of deer.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts