Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm shopping for a scope why or when would I pick a scope with a 30mm tube over a 1" tube?

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
More adjustment range, and rigidity.

Neither of which matter a hoot to you, if you are a 1-4x, or 3-9x kinda guy whos only "dialing" is happening on the telephone.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you are asking why, then I'm guessing you don't need or will ever use what the 30mm tube would, supposedly, give you. Some of the 30mm scopes out there are just marketing ploys & don't have any extra turret adjustment at all, over a 1" tube & just add bulk & weight. Remember Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
It depends a lot on what else you're wanting in a scope. If you want a lower magnification range in the 1-4 range (one of my favorites) for woods hunting, AND an illuminated reticle, then most all your choices being with 30mm main tubes.

It's a bit easier to find a higher mag range with 1" tube with IR. Sig makes the nice Whiskey 3 in 3-9x40(50) with a 1" tube and the ones I've owned were nice scopes.

If you don't give a squat about having an IR, then the pluses of a 30mm tube are few as Darkker said; tube strength and more adjustment range which helps in dialing in LR shots.

I have a number of 30mm scopes, about 15-20 and I'm fine with having one that size, if it fits my needs.

Reactions: MZ5

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am actually looking at low power 1-4 or 2-7 with an illuminated reticle on lever action rifles so you have my attention.
thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
I personally wouldn't want a big, bulky scope on a levergun. My choice would be as ccmpact as possible with the IR. 1x4x32 would be more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Larger tube diameter seems to be an enabling factor for wide range of magnification. You can do a 3-9x or a 5-15x scope with a 1" tube diameter, but to get a 3-15x magnification range, I believe a larger tube diameter is required.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally wouldn't want a big, bulky scope on a levergun. My choice would be as ccmpact as possible with the IR. 1x4x32 would be more than adequate.
That's the direction I am going. never liked scopes on levers but having reached the 70's I am finding things don't always work the same as they used to and I actually like 11/2 to 4 power scopes which I've used for years on my bolt action deer rifles. My 9 year old grandson shot his first deer this year, a 7 point with my Marlin Trapper (?) little 357 mag carbine with an old Bushnell Scopechief 2 3/4 power with command post. One shot at about 75 yards trotting across a woods road. 180 grain Lee WFN not DRT but down in 20-30 yards drilled through lungs right behind the shoulders. I wasn't with him but his dad videoed for me and I am still bragging about the grandson, the gun set up, and of course the guy that spent the time teaching him to shoot!

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
Years ago, Leupold made copies of the old Lyman Alaskan, steel tube scopes with 7/8" tube, in 2 1/2, 4 and 6X. They are extra fine scopes for 'period' guns. A low mounted 2 1/2 on a Marlin is about as slick as it gets.
Leopold dropped them like a hot rock when people didn't buy them.

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
European scopes are 26mm until they came up with the fuel funnel scopes of late.

Reactions: gunpa

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I'm shopping for a scope why or when would I pick a scope with a 30mm tube over a 1" tube?
To answer your original question, a larger tube allows for greater elevation and windage adjustments or it can allow for heavier duty componants for the internal mechanism. It doesn’t increase the brightness nor does it increase the magnification range by itself.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank for all the replies! I have bought a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x 24mm with IR from Midway and am waiting for the rings to mount on one of my levers.
If Bushnell still made the scopechief 1.5-4.5x 20mm with the command post that's what would be on it's way to me, but them I'm old fashioned.
thanks again
Mike B

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thank for all the replies! I have bought a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x 24mm with IR from Midway and am waiting for the rings to mount on one of my levers.
If Bushnell still made the scopechief 1.5-4.5x 20mm with the command post that's what would be on it's way to me, but them I'm old fashioned.
thanks again
Mike B
If you are "old fashioned" check out Vintage Gun Scopes in Montana. Wouldn't surprise me if they had that Bushnell, all refurbished & ready to go, or something similar.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
A 30mm over a 3/4" diameter scope is barely noticed IMO. There's more roo m for widgetry in a 30mm tube, but to me anyway the diameter matters little if the scope's function is as advertised and suits my needs.

My 2¢ whether needed or asked for 😁

RJ

Reactions: Hawkeye Hunter

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
thanks again
Mike B
I believe that you'll be pretty darn happy with that purchase! This is mine atop my .444P

thumbnail-151.jpeg thumbnail-152.jpeg

·
11,161 Posts
Here's an honest question:

Does any body think that 30mm scopes draw more light than 3/4" tubes?

RJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
No. The ability to "draw light" is a function of the objective size & what is termed the exit pupil. An internet search will explain both.

Unless... you are talking about "draw light" in terms of how heavy it is at the end of the day!:oops:

·
11,161 Posts
Gotcha.

Light and varmint rifle don't really go together anyway although I do carry them.

RJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts