Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Like fine wine, with better bullets/powders, it gets better with age. Unfortunately there are more shooters today that wouldn't recognize real quality/performance if it bit them on the backside. It is among good company of other excellent calibers that have not sold well enough to keep mfgr's making them: 16 gauge, the 10mm was on deaths door, 348, 358, 7x57, 7-30 waters, 375 Win, etc.
Ahh the 16 gauge...still a favorite of mine! Was hunting with a A5 in 16 just today. Same with the 375 win. Was my grandpas and has probably killed more deer than I ever will in my lifetime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know I'm late to this party but I've got something to add. The .41 Mag in the S&W Model 57 was a heavy revolver even with a 4 inch barrel! Many .357 revolvers were built on lighter frames and were far easier to carry than a heavy .41 which would have been one of the reasons it wasn’t accepted by many police departments. I know they say it was because of the recoil but I used to have a Model 57 in .41 Mag and never found the recoil objectionable but I did find the heavy carry weight objectionable. I now own a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag and it’s one of my favorite firearms.
Also the death of the .41 is greatly exaggerated – otherwise Henry wouldn’t now be selling them in their Big Boy Steel rifle in .41 Mag. I think Henry realized the fact that used Marlin 1894 FG’s were in such great demand due to the inflated prices that they saw dollar signs -- so they made them available to the shooting public. I’ve wanted a Marlin in .41 Mag myself but wouldn’t pay such high prices and I’m actually surprised Marlin hadn’t done another run on them! Now we have the Henry in .41 and I’ve finally ordered one! I am very excited and chomping at the bit for it to be delivered to my gun store for pick up!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My first big bore revolver was a Ruger .41 Blackhawk. It was O.K., but I got into .429 mags a couple years later and never looked back. Fans of the .41 are quick to claim that the .41 is flatter shooting and kicks less. That stands to reason, but how much ? I could never tell the difference. You could also say that the ,357 magnum is even flatter shooting and less recoil. My .22 TCM is much flatter shooting than any of the magnums with much less recoil, but it shoots a much lighter bullet. I have had several people who are .41 fans try to tell me that the .41 is more powerful than the .429because it is faster. Yes, maybe a little faster, because it shoots a lighter bullet. A 210 grain bullet @ 1400 is not going to be more powerful than a 240 grain bullet @1350.
The .41 did not become as popular as the .429 as there was nothing near the variety of factory loads, bullet selection for hand loading, or handguns chambered for it.
It's great that we have such a variety of calibers to choose from, something in between a .357 and .429 should have been more popular than it was. I just never saw much use for the .41. It was too close to the .429 with no real advantage over the .429.
there, fixed it for you. :D:p:D

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Remington dropped the ball

I had two 41's. Remington really dropped the ball with their first lead bullet ammo. It was undersized for the shallow riflings in my S & W M-58. I think that they used the dies for the old 401WSL bullets, which were .408". My Ruger three screw Blackhawk had deeper riflings, and I shot a bunch of Speer half jackets out of it, as well as home cast Lyman 41026 R.N.'s., originally made for the 401WSL, but sized to .410". After the half jackets went away, I looked to upsize to the 44's.
One friend and I shot three rounds into a concrete cinder block. One .357, one 41, and one 44. All were magnums shot out of shorter barreled revolvers. The 41's crater, really did fit into the middle, between the craters of the 357 and the 44 Magnum.

Later, on advice from Dave Andrews, the Speer ballistician, I had the M-58 redone as a 45 Colt. You get the same effects, without all those decibels.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Crockett12 is right about the .41. It was dreamed up by the deans of the gun writing community. Its interesting to me that Bill Jordan was in on the .41 project but it was he, as head of Border Patrol that got the Combat Magnum (M-19) built by S&W to save weight.

According to legend, there were three different .41 Magnum Smith's to be built: The M-57 was the hunting model, the Model 58 was the Military and Police and the never completed M-59 was to be the 'hide-out' version in three inch round butt. The M-59 became something else entirely, but the design intrigued me to the point of building one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
The gun was a very badly polished and re-blued M-58. All the parts are original except the added target trigger somebody tried to 'smooth' with a chainsaw file. I smoothed it.

Notice the barrel was shortened on both ends to keep the writing in the middle. That means the extractor rod has to be shortened and that left-hand thread is a b(ear) to do.

You can't make a round butt from a square butt without adding about 3/16" of material. I did it with TIG and even duplicated the fly-cut surface under the grips so it can't be seen. It could probably pass for factory done but for my name engraved under the cylinder latch button

The top of the barrel rib and action are now cross-hatched engraved (too finely) instead of sand blasted and the front bead has a 24K gold insert. It should be 14K for brightness, but I've never had a job come out perfect!

The action had never been tampered with but for the replaced trigger. The outside was stoned flat and rust blued.

The grips are of Macassar Ebony.

There's only been two loads shot by me, but a buddy in Florida put a thousand assorted through it and said it ate them all just fine but the lack of clearance at the top of the grip means it unloads nearly like a single action. I've been meaning to fix that!
My single-action load is a hard cast LBT 255gr from Veral Smith. They're cast .4111, lubed and shot at 1080fps. I had to deep seat the bullets and it made me nervous and I decided to work up another load. That comes just after the grip fix, I guess. ;)
I shot nearly a box of old, original green box Remington 210gr. lead 'LEO' loads at 1150fps just to see what the gun would have felt like had it been built. It's a hoss but manageable.

The fat six round cylinder would have killed the model as a carry gun. It's a lump slightly handier than a brick to carry. At the time it would have been made, nothing but cheap 32s were five shot and LEO would have balked at giving up a round.

In my opinion, after having and shooting the gun, the decision not to make it was a good one, but its nice having a 'one of a kind' that has some historical basis for it.

I carried a nickle M-58 as a deputy and have always loved the caliber, just not with full-house jacketed bullets. My LEO handload was a 210 Hornady HP at 1350fps and its all I wanted to handle.

Reactions: Cheezywan

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
JBelk, don't you think that a shrouded ejector would have been the better way to fly? I always skinned my fingers getting the lead out. When I did the 45 conversion to my M-58, I used the S&W 455 cyl. and its bulbous headed ejector rod. That was the best thing it had going for it, in cold weather. I think that it was a WWI trench warfare improvement which S&W "lost" along the way. I used a M-1917 barrel, and the large button still fitted in, under the barrel. I've seen an older S&W 32-20 WCF with an extra cut into the barrel, for clearance, using a smaller version of this bulbous button.
Before I changed it out, I was casting those Lyman 41026's really soft, and weighed some, right at 250 grs.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
The gun could be much better, but it was built as the future M-59 was said to have been designed by S&W. I kept M-58 parts 'for authenticity of a phony'. LOL

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
My main B$%^ch with my M-58 was that the front sight disappeared into the rib, at any kind of range. But it was designed as an M & P for a policeman's sidearm, so that's life. There is nothing wrong with the fixed rear sight in the M-58's frame. I used a 5.5" M-1917 barrel, which a G.S. slit the front sight and installed a higher blade, for me. When I filed it down, it gave me a nice sight picture. At least it was better than an old S&W M-20, 38, which I once had.

I also had the smaller version of the M-58, which was a S & W M-10 square barreled 38, and it did the same trick. Yours is a keeper from the photos. I just wish S & W would have scaled up their M-19, R. B., 2 & 3/4'rs inch, shrouded 357 Magnum, but stayed with the M-58's square notched, fixed rear sight.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Here's the K frame version of what I made from a M-58. This was the M-13 that was briefly adopted by the FBI as their standard carry gun.
3" heavy barrel, solid rib, fixed M&P sights, round butt, .357 Mag. The M-65 3" RB is the same gun in SS.

Sights? Trinitron was just coming out with a glow in the dark sight in the early '70s, but red plastic inserts and white outline rear were for target shooters, not law men and nobody I knew could afford doubling the gun's cost with glow sights. (A Python was $119.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
As a Southpaw, that S&W M-41 leaves me cold. But the other two mirror "almost" what I had going once. Note that the fired brass from the S & W never would quite size down enough for the tighter Ruger three screw's Blackhawk's chambers.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Long time ago I painted my Smith 58 front sight. Applied white paint first then Neon Orange. Really bright and easy to pick up.

CD

Reactions: Tater

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Ruger BH in .41 mag and really enjoy it. I read that the cops wanted a "bigger" round back in the day and then found out they could not handle recoil...especially females...kinda like the debacle with the 10mm and the birth of the .40 S&W. Go figure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my redhawk!! It saved my life twice, dusted a coyote at 100 yards, finished a cougar with a busted shoulder at close range (15 feet, on my belly in a thorn bush.). Shortly after I got it, I had a chance to buy 100 jacketed hollow point hand loads and 100 rounds of new brass in boxes and 100 loaded rounds with cast bullets in bags and a set of lyman dies for $80.00. There were some hot loads in the lot so i pulled bullets and reloaded all of the rounds that looked like those and have had none of the case problems. I haven't had any other reason to load for it. Now I read about reloading heavier bullets and have come down with a twitch! I put a few rounds through it a couple of times a year give it a good clean up and always think I should have put more rounds through it. This thread may have given me an excuse! Thank you

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
WHY? Too little too late. For big game hunting it wouldn't do anything the 44 Magnum couldn't do. As a defensive handgun it was born too late just as law enforcement was switching to autoloaders.

BTW I have 41 Magnum and 44 Magnum revolvers and enjoy shooting both but if I had to give up one it would be the 41. The 44 is just more versatile.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Just to clarify some, The .41 was old enough to vote by the time LEO and autos came together in the '80s. The S&W M39 and 59 came on the scene in the mid '70s and a few departments allowed them. My sheriff said "Anything double action and 38 Spec or better." I carried a M58 on duty with a special speed loader of 'car killers' clipped to the dashboard.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
BTW I have 41 Magnum and 44 Magnum revolvers and enjoy shooting both but if I had to give up one it would be the 41. The 44 is just more versatile.
You would regret it though. Likely lose sleep worrying that you might never find another. All for 0.019". Go ahead and man up. Friends here. We know you were just making conversation. Take it back. No harm No foul.

Cheezywan

101 - 120 of 148 Posts