Shooters Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually most sources point towards the police market as the reason it died out in popularity.

Intended as a hunting and police gun. Essentially the same market as the .357 magnum. Just more capable on large animals. ALOT of male cops couldn't handle the recoil. MAYBE all the lady cops couldn't handle the recoil. The load options kind of blew chunks unless you reloaded, and many just don't reload.

No popularity from police shoot outs, no fame.... a slow death.

Most account the .357 and even .38 special got dropped from police usage due to the number of slightly statured female cops who couldn't handle the recoil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To this day Magnum Research inc.

Get's more than 10K request every month or So; to bring the 41 magnum chambering back to the Desert Eagle platform. Why don't they? Because you really can only count on about 30% of those numbers being ABLE consumers. And Manufacturing cost would eclipse those numbers fast.

Davidson's exclusive 4.2 Redhawk 41 Magnum
657-6 Smith Wesson Second production Mountain Gun 41 Magnum
Smith Wesson 57-3 6in 41 Magnum
Davidson's exclusive Ruger SuperBlack Hawk Hunter 41 Magnum
Freedom Arms 83 4 3/4 in 41 Magnum
Freedom Arms 83 10 1/2 41Magnum
T/C Encore w/ Custom Super 14 barrel contour 41Magnum
Henry BBS 41 Magnum
Marlin 1894 CCL #17 41 Magnum
1967 3 screw Old model JOY !
Taurus Raging Bull 416 41Magnum

·
Registered
15 Posts
those numbers are really easy to obtain....

What guns do you use to burn all of this ammo ?
If one has a lever action rifle, double action revolver, and SA or target arms made up for it. OH' and a good set of silhouette and GONGS at dist. 400 rounds over a SAT / Sun easy as pie. If you have kids and light target loads /plinkers. One can easily do 600 rounds over a weekend. I can rattle off more than a 100 in a single shooting session @ the gongs over the span of 1 1/2hrs at the club. Course you'll have to have a dedicated progressive reloading set up to produce those numbers. A lot of Berry's or Rainier swagged bullets help keep the cost down. If you like 38 spl target plinking loads then you'll love the same in 41 mag AND you get a bigger hole to BOOT!

·
Registered
24 Posts
1 Bisley(blued), 1 Bisley Hunter (stainless), 1 Taurus Total Titanium Tracker, and 2 Marlin lever guns, all in .41 Mag. I find it cheaper to just trim some of my Mag brass down to .41 special length, which makes the light weight titanium tracker a pleasure to shoot. I really wish that Ruger had made their .44 Carbine in both .41 Mag and .357 Mag, it would probably still be in production if they had.

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
14 year old thread...that's a long sleep.

Pretty well sums up my .41 shooting...a long sleep, but eventally woke up.
Have the dies,cases, cast bullets, jacketed bullets, powder,primers...why not?
Do find cases harder to come by but certainly not to the level of the even less popular rounds.

Going to go with 5 reasons.

1. Balistics always favor the bigger caliber....same pressure with a bigger base area to apply that pressure, you get a "bonus". That's likely the reason from the .41's decline...it's not as "powerful" as the .44,and as some folks buy on power alone, that's more than enough reason for most.

2. The movie. While .44's were not a big seller before Dirty Harry, they were a fast moving, limited supply to the gun shops item after. (And yes...there have always been reports that even Hollywood had trouble finding an 8 3/8" .29 and actualy used an 8 3/8" 57 in filming).

(for a discussion of the distributor's antics and the local gun shop wanting to get 29's at that time,will have to start another post).

3. The lower powered "police load" pretty well just confused the issue. Am pretty sure old Elmer would have been PO's at the factory version of his envisioned loading for his use. Actually shoots well from a clean gun....but only for a limited time before it leads up/gunks up.

4. The "curse of the .41". From the .41RF until today, nothing .41 has lasted. It's the handgun equal to the number "`13". FaCTORY LOADING (.41rf, .41sc, .41colt,.41AE, etc) or wildcat (like the .401 Herters Powermag), they pretty well had the "skunk-eye" as for as sales(a;though the .41RF hung in there as a factory offering for a long long time as folks loved their little O/U Remingtons).

(We could get into the "curse of the rebated rim" better with rifle rounds....but in a functioning .41AE...you had a .40SW well before the .40 was introduced).

5. Considering all the by-passed rounds that are no more...the old adage: "You can't sell folks what they need, only what they want" is absoultly true. Nothing created the urge (market) for the .41 other than Elmer and a few articles supporting the idea....and even Elmer seemed to back off the idea once it was clear that there would be no "smaller than N-Frame" revolver and no well designed factory lead bullets.

·
Registered
156 Posts
it was intended as a replacement for the .357 magnum in elmers eyes.

a heavy duty gun that could fire serious ammo for dealing with drugged up crazies.

That could be used for dealing with animals in the 400+ pound weight class.

As a result police didn't use it, to much recoil, and the police loads left one wishing to have a 357 magnum on your hip.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I came back to this. If you guys were wanting a

Ruger Bisley you missed one on 24Hr Campfire. It sits in my safe now. I just have to load some cast bullets up and go out shooting. I think of my bullets I have 220 fr SP jacketeds and about three weight of cast. All around 210,215, and 220 gr cast FPs. If any one wishes to share a mid range load I'm all ears. If not I will average the start load and the Max. That will be My max. I have some grizzly heavies loaded on order but haven't been notified of shipping yet. Be Well, Bandito.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Remington loaded two .41 Mag loads; One was a 210 SP at full bore violence. The other was a 200 gr. lead LEO 'mid range' load at about 1000 fps.

I carried a nickel Model 58 as duty gun for five years but never thought to use the low-powered loads. ;)
In our department, a deputy could carry any gun he could qualify with as long as it was .38 spec or bigger and a DA revolver. I had the only .41, but several carried 4" M29s.
In 1972, the Sheriff authorized bailiffs, the warrant desk officer and a couple women deputies in the court house offices to carry M39 S&W 9mm and my buddy got permission to carry has Secamp conversion, 1911 Combat Commander DA 45.
Things have sure changed a LOT in 50 years!! My gunbelt was pretty much bare back then. Ammo, handcuffs and a duty gun. Some had a ring for a flashlight and a big Texas Slapper in the rear pants pocket, but no pepper, tazer, radios, or cameras....or protective vest.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts