Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son received a crossman 760 for his birthday. I've been shooting the odd phone book in the back yard for years (shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell the city).:D Anyway I wanted a pellet trap for the lad. We went to a local establishment and they only had ones good enough for 22 cal rifle.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I said to myself, self, I have a piece of 14 gauge sheet metal, and some T1-11 plywood siding. Some more scrap wood and viola' a pellet trap of sorts. Used some heavy black paper clips to hold the target.

I checked it w/my 22 cal barrel cocker which is way more powerful than his 760 and it left a small dent in the sheet metal. Even at 10 pumps the ,177 pellets only leave a smear on the sheet metal.

The legs fold up so we can stack it against the wall.

Kid is happy as a clam.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Sweet set-up!

Those ol' Crossmans must of been around forever. When my youngest was about 8 years old I gave him one for Christmas. We spent hours together shooting that thing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one that is about 30 years old. I haven't used it much lately, but it still shoots great when all the screws are tight. The new ones have a five shot pellet "clip" that is pretty neat. Makes loading a lot easier

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have a sheet of 1/2 in plate steel leaning against a fence post between my shop and my wifes garden shed that I use for a backstop. Works good for 22s and occasional handgun chrono testing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jodum, I needed something portable that could be put away when not in use. I'm suburban and the city frowns on pellet guns used within the city limits. Ironically, my bow and arrow are allowed.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
When I was a kid, I shot my pellet and BB guns in the basement into a cardboard box with a suitable sized piece of old sheet material draped over a length of dowel that hung across the middle of the box. The piece of hanging sheet caught everything because it "gives" with the impact and "catches" the projectile, then drops it in the box. I could re-use all the BB's and most of the pellets, because the catch was so gentle it didn't deform them at all.

Never tried to catch .22 with a couple of thicknesses of sheeting, but for air guns of my time, it worked very well.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Gyro you had a great idea. I like the foldability of it. As I have always lived the rural life, I tend to forget that not everyone can shoot in their backyard. If I fire more than just a few shoots, a neighbor is likely to show up with his own firearm to join in.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saskshooter, you reminded me, we used a bit of canvas in a box for the competition BB guns we shot as a kid. The were very low power, but fairly accurate and allowed us to recover the BB's to use again.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,874 Posts
Have a regular pellet trap (commercial) that my grandson and his friends can set on a stump in the back yard that has been used so much it is really dented up and some of the spot welded seams are starting to bulge. Has a clip on top to hold the bullseye targets that came with it (I bought a case of targets with the trap years ago). The boys have a blast with it, but we have to watch and wait for the golfers to pass on the course behind the fence - no need to rile the passers by! Not supposed to shoot air guns in the city limits either.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Gyroboy, I like that setup! I might make one of those for my pelletgun that my daughter and I shoot. Maybe I can put a box of sand underneath to sift through. I like the hanging sheet idea too.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Niffy idea! Enjoy the time with your son as they grow up fast.

CD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a home made pellet trap that I use in my basement during the winter months. It's just a 100 amp electrical panel box with a clip screwed to the top for holding targets in front. The inside of the box is stuffed with duct-seal which catches the pellets and keeps them from bouncing back out of the box. After many pellets have been fired, you just dig out the ball of lead that has built up and simply plug the hole again with a little more duct-seal.

Works great even when shooting my Beeman RX-1 (1000 fps.) :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use a trap that collects my pellets. With the current issues concerning lead, I recycle them in my lead pot.

Allen

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Same here, all used pellets go back to the pot with the range scrape.

CD

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a pellet trap that uses a piece of heavy carpet at an 45 degree angle in a box in my basement.
the carpet seams to absorb the impact and deflect the pellet downward nicely. When the carpet gets thin it gets replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts