Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just posting this question to find out what draws people to our sport. Why do you shoot? What do you find most satisfying about it? What draws you to certain aspects (reloading, bullet casting, types of competition) of the sport, firearm types? There is no wrong answer here, just looking to see why other people value shooting. I'm not looking for a 2nd amendment type answer, I understand that already. Exercise of our rights is a valid reason, which I appreciated and cherish, but no rants please. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Actually I wonder that myself. The reason I say that is for 25 years I was required to 'qualify' at the firing range four times a year. As a LEO it is state mandated. With your service gun and shotgun. If I remember correctly, you were required only once a year for off-duty carry qualification. Now I know some who read this will think it sounds like fun. Well to some degree it was, but remember you were timed at each stage. No time to relax and enjoy the surroundings. At one time it was really exciting. Because you shot behind cars, mail boxes, fire hydraunts and other obstructions. But, due to lousy outdoor weather that was stopped. That sent us back to the indoor booth. BORING! So, after I retired I had no desire to use a firearm. Well, that lasted about 3 years. Now, I have a safe full of handguns, rifles and a police type 870 shotgun for deer hunting. So, that's my story. It all worked out for the best.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Free-range pork.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Hunting is probably the single biggest reason. Other than that, there is something very enjoyable about doing what you set out to do (shooting a clay pigeon at 200 yards in the kneeling shooting position with your hunting rifle, shooting small groups, etc...). The discipline required to be consistant and to always improve are attributes also. But mostly, its hunting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also a hunter. Mostly waterfowl but I go to deer camp each year. I am at the stage of life that the numbers in the bag are no longer important. I really enjoy the outdoors.

That said, I also enjoy the clay sports and a trip to the rifle/pistol range. We make this an outing and often take the R/V so that we can stay the night and enjoy two days of shooting. I am also an instructor and enjoy teaching youngesters.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It really helps me focus. While shooting it is only me and the firearm. The outcome is up to my ability to function. I am fortunate to have a private place to shoot at three hundred yards. A prfect day is about 55 - 60 degrees, light overcast, no wind, my favorite rifle at the time, lots of handloads and a morning free.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mainly because it's just fun!!!:D Hunting got me started and I just couldn't stop!!:rolleyes: Pluses are technology of the weapons,ammo building etc. Shoot I just love it.!:cool:

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
why???

I got started from my Dad at about 7 years old....
why?

Because it's great fun!!!!!

also been known to put food on the table now and then....:D

Chris~

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I first shot a .22 when I was about 7 or 8 and have been hooked since. Firearms are a fair part of hunting, but I enjoy the outdoors as much or more than the kill. I wish we had free-range pork here, such as MikeG is always referring to. I've never hunted hogs anywhere. Shooting is relaxing for me, non-competitive shooting at least. I find the total concentration that is demanded for accurate shooting is a stress reliever that helps to clear the mind. The social aspects are also rewarding, such as belonging to a gun club and of course this forum. I enjoy handloading and bullet casting also, bullet swaging is likley to come next year. I enjoy making things and then using them to good effect. I love the outdoors, this country, and I realize that the defense of myself, my family, and my property is my responsibility. Shooting fits tightly with those three things for me.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
FUN, FUN AND MORE FUN. I remember reading outdoor life as a kid and dreaming about camping hunting fishing and shooting. I have been fortunate to stay out there for these 50 years and hope to do it 50 more. It's life, it's passion and it is good in the eyes of the Lord and reasonable men.

·
Banned
87 Posts
OK! I don't meen this to be sexist but dog gonit it's a man thing. We like things that go boom and there is all sorts of challanges to overcome and master. The way everyone wants the sexes to be alike these days we got to keep something that seperates us. Thats how God wired us. with that said my other reason is because my wife lets me shoot, she says it gets me out of the house.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know Pooter, often as not, my wife wants to go with me. She gets annoyed when I shoot a one (big) hole twenty shot group with her 22/45 after shes been struggling to keep them in the black at 25 ft all day, I think it motivates her to outshoot me. I try to explain that if she shoots at 25yds more often, although the results don't look as good, it will greatly improve her closer range shooting. This is another good thing about shooting, it's fun and allows me to spend some time with my wife. With 2 kids and a job a piece, it's nice to spend some time together out of the house.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Your right kciH, My wife sed to shoot with me but after she turne 50 she got some sort of an eye problem where she can't line up the front and back sights anymore. She did tell me last hunting season that because I have a bad back she would pack my deer out for me. I gotta tell you boys she is one in a million. I intentionaly shot a small muley so it wasn't to heavy for her.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the better title for the post would be "What does shooting mean to you?" There are so many things that shooting means to me I can't list them all.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Why? I love shooting. I, too, read Outdoor Life as a kid and dreamed of owning a '94 Winchester, or a Lee Enfield, or a Mauser. My Dad had a nice BSA 30-06 and a Tobin 12 ga double. He bought me a new Cooey Model 39. Man, I was right up there with Jack O'Connor. Here I am, still that kid, fifty years later. Thanks Dad, and Jack, and all the others. That's why I shoot. The smell of a fired shotgun shell, the crack of a little .22 rifle, the feel of that '94 in my hands. Best of all, I think, is the time I've been able to spend with people I like and love, because of our common interest in shooting. I can't, for the life of me, understand how a person could go through most of their life without owning a gun, missing the chance to spend a Saturday afternoon with their kids or friends, shooting. How could they think life is good without having eaten supper with the smell of Hoppe's 9 on their hands? Life is good hunkered down on a fenceline in the dark, hearing the whistling wings of a flock of ducks "comin' in" for their morning feed. Every year, my Dad's old Tobin would draw blood on my "traffic signal" finger and I would come home with my old red handkerchief wrapped around it. I shoot because I love to shoot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why do i shoot ??:rolleyes:

Well first and foremost i am a hunter, the urge within me to hunt is strong, very very strong !:) Hunting with firearms is extremely enjoyable and efficient.

Started with air rifles at eight years old, once i could hit paper time and time again i was allowed to hunt !

Moved on to shotguns.........:D Not a great fan of killing sitting or ground game with a shotgun, for me ultimate skill and satisfaction of shot gunning is taking a bird on the wing !:) Better still a "left and right" two birds dead in the air at the same time !

Wildfowling is by far the best and most testing shot gunning although shooting wood pigeon over decoys is my favourite.

BANG ! KICK !!:D IS great fun the power at your finger tips is just fantastic ! "Thunder stick" easy to see were that came from ! I love the noise too !:D

Rifles...........I think i really enjoy them for the reason above coulped with the precision ! Long range accuracy is very satisfying indeed, the ability to fell a mighty beast i find breath taking ! :eek:

Another factor is the simplicity and efficiency of firearms..... when you look at it, a bit of tube, a brass container, some powder and a little projectile !:eek: So simple ! Yet so effective.Truly a wondrous invention !:)

Englander.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I LOVE THE SMELL OF GUNPOWDER IN THE MORNING.

I LOVE THE FEEL OF MY BIG GUN SLAMMING UP ON MY SHOULDER, THE FLASH, THE BLAST, THE CRACK OF THE LEAD AS IT SOARS THROUGH THE AIR.

I LOVE TO KILL CARDBOARD AT 200 YARDS

I LOVE TO ARGUE WITH LIBERALS AND THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH LEAD IN THE SOIL AROUND HERE ANYWAYS

BESIDES, ONLY A FEW OF US ON THIS PLANET CAN AFFORD TO DO IT!

P.s.
Anybody have any French target holder volenteers? :D

·
Banned
65 Posts
I grew up shooting with my grandfather. He gave me my first BB gun then a .22. Even though my step-dad wasn't a hunter or shooter, he bought me my first shotgun. I've always been a shooter and always will, hopefully, as will my kids. I really didn't worry about the 2nd Amenndment or gun rights until I got out of the Army and suddenly found that I couldn't just go in and buy .22s without signing for them (remember that?). At that time, I was going to college and couldn't afford to shoot much else, so I became concerned and joined the NRA.

I guess the main reason is that I've enjoyed it for so long. The hunting I did with my grandfather and the hunting I did by myself with just my dog for company are some of the fondest memories I have. I found a Nylon 66 a few years ago that was just like the one I had as a kid and when I took it out for the first time it brought back so many wonderful memories. That gun is now my son's.

The ability to put a small piece of metal on a small target, consistantly, never ceases to fasinate me, and I am always trying to achieve that goal. Hey, its fun, and no matter what Sarah Brady says, it's healthy and satisfying.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
(B)TO REVIEVE STRESS[/B]

·
Banned
548 Posts
I shoot to measure the effectiveness of handloads...accuracy, power and efficiency. Great hobby, and way cheaper than fast cars...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts