Shooters Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I considered having the 223AI reamer run in deep to headspace off the 204Ruger guages ... but the sharp shoulder can be a pain to get feeding and the simplicity of the 22-204 is lost.
Cheers...
Con

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
But going from the 23 degree shoulder of the 222Rem Mag parent case to the 30 degree shoulder of the 22-204 wasn't bad? I guess I can see that. I'm just playing the DA, here. :)

I've got a couple of 'cats with fairly steep shoulders and I know they can be a little more work, when it comes to adjusting the sizing die.

·
Registered
191 Posts
But going from the 23 degree shoulder of the 222Rem Mag parent case to the 30 degree shoulder of the 22-204 wasn't bad? I guess I can see that. I'm just playing the DA, here. :)
No trouble at all ... from an in-line magazine box. :D
Cheers...
Con

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ayalaska, I'm paralleling you somewhat

Ayalaska, I started along the same path, and wildcatted myself into a different solution. Maybe when I finish my load developments, we can compare notes. I thought to stick to a plain 8mm x 06, so I could do a 8 x 338 later, in my Mauser. But I had to go with a case forming set, when I digressed into an Americanized 8x68 Schuler. My parent case is the 375 Ruger Basic. So, my Shuleresque shoulder will just make it up to the .416 bore. Like you, I had an idea for a 405 rimless. But I now have a viable .416, baby Rigby, with the original half inch long neck, and one which really fits into a military M-98 action. I have only a couple more grains of H2O than the .416 Taylor, but I do have more metal than the Taylor has, when you reload it to headspace on it's shoulder, instead of it's belt. When you are up and running, PM me and I'll share my results with you. I will say that using the Speer 350 gr. Mag Tip makes for one wicked big game cartridge. If I can reach 2540fps, I'll break over the 5000 foot lb. barrier, with this bullet. I'm really happy with the way this wildcat feeds from my CRF magazines, but in any push feed action, the stock .416 Ruger would be the way to go. The Rugers, Remmies, and Taylors have short necks, while the Rigbys, Weatherbys, and now my Boer 10.6mm, have the original 1912 neck length which the bullet makers used over the years to locate their cannelures. These last three put most bullet bases right at the neck, shoulder, junction. The "modern" numbers push the bullets down into the belly of their respective cases. Your smaller diameter, wildcat case, can utilize either neck length, but the Ruger, Taylor, and both of our wildcats, all use standard 30:06 length magazine boxes. You can sling a couple more rounds than me, while I can swing a bigger hammer. Those 416 Rugers are even bigger than the Taylor, and my job, and some people are chambering 416 Rugers, into longer P-17 Enfields, so that they can also seat their bullets just down to the base of the neck. But any short neck is still subservient to the bullet's cannelure in really heavy recoiling loads. So, I guess I'm stuck in the mud with my design for my wildcat. Now, how about your parameters?? Are you stuck in the mud along side me, too?? FWIW, my G.S. used my 8mm reamer, with an oversized pilot, and his own .416 neck throat reamer, to cut my .416's chamber. There is no Ruger factory reamer smaller than their 375 caliber, with which to do this little trick. So you would need to case form down from the 375 Basics to engineer a half inch long neck into an otherwise stock 416 Ruger chamber. So that path is just as circuitous as my own was, and the product would only function through a long magnum action, like an Enfield, or CZ. I don't know how long a neck you could get by forming the 416 Remmie from cylindrical basic belted brass. But then the 700 action length, wouldn't work anymore, either. however, you now, would be knocking on the doors of the full sized Rigbys and belted Weatherbys. We both seem to have found sweet spots for our respective diameter wildcats, and that's reason enough, IMO!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts