Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a
cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin'.

..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Police protection is real. The mayor gets it whenever he asks for it.

The normal job of the police is law enforcement. 99% of the time, this means criminal prosecution. Crimes have already been committed before they can be prosecuted, and in the case of violent crime, that means there are victims. The public is protected not because the police are on the scene stopping crime, but through the deterrent effect of enforcing the consequences of the law on criminals.

I don't disrespect law enforcement. I recognize that we need them. However, I am not confused about their role in defending my life.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Well said UnCruel, I do not disrespect LEO's either, but I also know there are good and bad in their ranks, just like in any other profession. I also have no illusions that a police officer will be immediately available when I need one most. We all must be ready to protect ourselves.
THAT's why I carry a gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not to take this thread off-topic, but this case is very pertinent to their role in local law enforcement where the Supreme Court ruled that local LE had no duty to protect individuals, but only a general duty to enforce the laws. It has been referenced in about a dozen cases since the initial verdict and has only gotten stronger throughout the years.

South v. Maryland, 59 US (How.) 396, 15 L.Ed.433 (1856)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well said, gents. As a retired LEO, I feel that most people should carry. The deterrent effect of an armed public on the criminal element is substantial.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I was in a struggle with an escaped felon one night on a very rural highway. (traffic stop that went downhill real quick) As we struggled in the ditch, it was becoming obvious that I was gonna have to shoot the guy to end the struggle before I got hurt. All of a sudden, the felon stopped struggling and put his hands in the air. A local farmer had passed and saw what was happening. He had stopped and was standing behind me with a double barrel shotgun pointed at the felon. Boy, you talk about being glad to see an armed citizen. The farmer happened to be a local deputy's father.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two women at a yard sale were helping me put toys in our minivan. One asked "What's with the gun?"

"Good exercise."

"Oh."

The other woman said "That gun doesn't look that heavy."

The first explained to her friend: "He's exercising Freedom. Not just his, but yours and mine, too."

Lovely woman. I'm glad to know there are people that "get it"....

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
My late mother-in-law (from Chicago, of course) hated guns - and me for owning them. She almost had a conniption when she learned that I actually carry one when I'm out with her daughter. I made her a deal. I said, "I know you hate guns, so if we're ever attacked I promise not to defend you with one."

Stony silence.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the wife & kids across town to a friend's party. As more guests arrived, and the sun set, we were all on the back patio. One of the wives approached me, obviously concerned about the Glock 19 on my hip.

After greeting me with a hug, she asked "Why are you armed at a party where everyone is your friend?"

The host overheard and said "Because he can!" He was about to get very rude with her but I stopped him so I could explain:

"My entire family is here, across town, after dark. This is a party - the front door (I pointed to it, since by second nature I was positioned to see it through the livingroom) is unlocked. What would happen if five guys were driving by and decided to rape everybody, kill the kids, and steal everything?"

She looked at me in shock, and said "That would never happen!"

I touched my hip and said "Exactly. I try to stay aware so you don't have to."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She had a party recently, and had no reservations at all with me. Her husband asked me how to get a carry permit. The wife, after two years, has finally allowed him to keep firearms in the house....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nephew on the wife's side of the family threw a party for his five year old daughter, friends and relatives over. A neighbor called the cops about noise, cops came, no problem with noise, cop went back and told the neighbor. Shortly thereafter the neighbor came up the driveway with a shotgun and a video camera, the nephew and two friends went to talk to him, he shot the nephew point blank and critically wounded one of the friends before they got him subdued and waited for the cops and ambulance. No one was armed except the neighbor. Five year old has no dad, wife is a widow, doesn't matter what ultimately happens to the whacko neighbor.
It's not the 1950's anymore.
Carry a gun, know how to use it, practice self defense with it. My wife and I practice draw, aim, and double tap with our carry guns in the holsters we carry regularly. Ain't gonna be a victim.

·
Registered
662 Posts
When asked why I carry a gun, I often retort that I do because I can. Being an American gives me that right.

Precisely. My grandson (19) makes fun of me because ANY time I leave my property, I carry. I've tried to explain it to him, he's not buying it, so I just go back to "Because it's my right as a free man."

Somebody (Jeff Cooper? Clint Smith?) said words to the effect that "You don't carry a handgun because you're expecting trouble. If you EXPECT trouble, you bring a rifle, and friends with rifles."

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a
cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin'.

..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)
plz send to - [email protected]

·
Registered
95 Posts
I carry a gun because it is as natural as breathing,and just as easy. I have no intention of giving up my life,or the life of anyone I care about,because I was caught defenseless by some scumbag. Your closest friends NEED to know you carry,if you go down,maybe one of them will survive using your gun.I compete in IDPA with all the guns I carry. All are on the 1911 platform,the controls are the same on each. You need to be more than just armed,you need to be proficient with the arms you choose.

·
Banned
103 Posts
thats really what its all about.. expect the best,be ready with an anwer for the worst..
ive got mine anywhere i am..never any gurantee a predator won t strike..at least you got a chance ,if you carrying..

1 - 20 of 62 Posts