• .300 Win. Long Mag.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 220 Swift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 416 Barrett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything flatter with less recoil than above. Most will be dismissed outright. They won't qualify

Votes: 6 14.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 0-as far as you can hit, a high power .25 cal. will kill from elk or moose on down. It is easier to place shots with less recoil. For varmints the sky is the limit. They are faster and flatter than anything larger, offer ample power and are superbly accurate. They pound the .244-6mm class and don't lose valuable traits to the larger cals. too bad. I realize this will start a huge **** storm from .260, .270, .280.,.300 fans but it is true. Bring it on if you have real experience. By that I mean enough to change my mind. Not likely!. I'd much rather hear from the .25 cal. fans on what they have observed. All opinions welcome. For what it is worth, the nearest competitor, the .270 WSM. has already come up well short along with the .264 Win. Mag.;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I voted .257 Weatherby for the 600 yard big game shot. If not for that I'd go 25-06! Just to say how I voted!:D

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Several Guys in my area of Ky. use the .25-06 for their Deer Hunting. Now on Elk, one must use atleast a .270 Winchester & larger, to be legal for Elk Hunting in Ky.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
I voted Other, to include the 6.5-'06, which is capable of higher velocity than the 6.5-284, shoots higher BC bullets than the .25 caliber, has a better SD for use on big game, such as elk, plus it's a wildcat, which makes it cool, in my book.

Davers, very sensible regulations by Kentucky, requiring at least a .270 for elk.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^ similar. I'd have to go with 6.5mm of some sort, I think, for the same reasons. Although, if .270 is the minimum regulation, I'd have to think of something else. Although, I doubt I'd ever even shoot 600yds shots at anything. I'd probably limit myself to 300yds at the max.

·
Banned
991 Posts
0-600yds in real life hunting conditions on varmint to big game I will use my 7mmSTW. There will be no problem with dropping game and the recoil is not as much as my 300win mag or 300wby which I have no trouble shooting. I owned two 25-06's and 4 257Wby's including a 257/300Wby and I am here to tell you as much as I love the 257Wby it will not meet the criteria that you established in this thread like my 7mmSTW. I have use both over 500yds and the 7mmSTW is heads and shoulders above the 257Wby in dropping big game past 500yds. Also, the 7mmSTW in 116FS Savage is the second most accurate hunting rifle I have ever owned.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
lotta ifs.. if i could still shoot .. if i had the money,if 2506 ammo was cheaper. id love to try it.. but alas,, i don t shoot to point of aim anymore so id stay with what i know.. savage 110 in 30 06.
that is until the fella thats buying it comes an gets it. :)slim
no use in keeping these centerfires if i can t even strike paper well at even 50 yrds..sad huh.. but also life as it is..

·
Banned
233 Posts
0-600yds in real life hunting conditions on varmint to big game I will use my 7mmSTW. There will be no problem with dropping game and the recoil is not as much as my 300win mag or 300wby which I have no trouble shooting. I owned two 25-06's and 4 257Wby's including a 257/300Wby and I am here to tell you as much as I love the 257Wby it will not meet the criteria that you established in this thread like my 7mmSTW. I have use both over 500yds and the 7mmSTW is heads and shoulders above the 257Wby in dropping big game past 500yds. Also, the 7mmSTW in 116FS Savage is the second most accurate hunting rifle I have ever owned.
i agree.i love and own a 25/06,which i've shot for nearly 30 years.there is no way it will out hammer my 7 mm rem mag at 600 yds.not in your wildest dreams.i find the 25/06 wanting on big game at 300 yds.try shoot a bull camel at 600 yards and you might as well throw rocks at them. beartracker is right on the money.in saying that,the 25 shoots as flat as a piece of stretched string and i use it for about 95% of all my shooting on medium game.the B.C, is way down on the 25,and sheds ft/lbs RAPIDLY.your love of the calibre is commendable,and i bet you know that rifle like the back of your hand,-good luck on your poll.:):)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some body got to playing with some ballistics software and was overly impressed :) Yes the 25 does more with less Than Most. But it does not QUITE jump tall buildings with a single bound. I am with BearTracker on this one. Even though I reload for three 25-06's and all three HAMMER game out to around 400 - 500. But I am not talking about Moose or Elk either. Deer and pigs. Not saying it wont kill the elk or moose, it certainly will. But more than a few Professional Guides and Professional Hunters absolutely forbid the 25's in "the more hazardous areas". Just the way it is.

Good Hunting,
Gary

·
Registered
585 Posts
I lean more towards broomjm's thinking with the 6.5-06. Great cartridge that I thought about going with before I got my .260. My only real problem with it is that its a wildcat and thus has no factory offerings in rifles or ammo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a great appreciation for the .257 Roberts and will always have one. Although you will hear me sing great praise for the round as well as it being a sure deer and goat killer more times than not I am reaching for the 280 on deer size game and the 35 whelen beyond that.

All that being said I have killed a couple of elk with the .257 roberts and 120 grain NP between 75 and 150 yards because the opportunity presented itself. And I have to say those cows were just as dead from the .25 caliber pill as they would of been from the .358.

I mostly use the .257 bob for yote hunting with 75grain sierra HP's now, while one of the nephews always bags a deer with it during rifle season loaded with 100 gr Hornady's.

In all honesty I would grab a 280 / 270 for reaching out to longer range to smack a deer or goat if given the choice.

Since a 30-30 and .257bob were the first two center fire rifles I ever owned I would not feel undergunned with either knowing what they are capable of. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the 25's.

good luck
GF

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I think anyone that takes anything smaller than a .270 after an Elk or a Moose should be shot with their own gun. Show some respect for your game. JSR, I know you started this topic just to try and get me riled up. But you need to face it. As good as the .257 Wby is for Deer and Varmints, it will never replace the 7 and 30 mags for bigger critters. Anyone with a little common sense will know this.

The .250 Savage, .257 Bobby and .257 Wby are all great cartridges, and I guess even the .25-06. But they have their place. Their place just isn't for pursuing Moose. Will it kill them ? Yes, but so will a .22 Short, but that does not make it appropriate. So obviously, from the above list, I chose the 7 RUM. But I'm sorry you are so bothered by my choice of calibers. My offer stands, you can come shoot with me anytime you like.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Several Guys in my area of Ky. use the .25-06 for their Deer Hunting. Now on Elk, one must use atleast a .270 Winchester & larger, to be legal for Elk Hunting in Ky.
That is one of the most realistic 'laws' I have seen in a long time.:)

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I think anyone that takes anything smaller than a .270 after an Elk or a Moose should be shot with their own gun. Show some respect for your game. JSR, I know you started this topic just to try and get me riled up. But you need to face it. As good as the .257 Wby is for Deer and Varmints, it will never replace the 7 and 30 mags for bigger critters. Anyone with a little common sense will know this.

The .250 Savage, .257 Bobby and .257 Wby are all great cartridges, and I guess even the .25-06. But they have their place. Their place just isn't for pursuing Moose. Will it kill them ? Yes, but so will a .22 Short, but that does not make it appropriate. So obviously, from the above list, I chose the 7 RUM. But I'm sorry you are so bothered by my choice of calibers. My offer stands, you can come shoot with me anytime you like.
AMEN!:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think it's best to not vote in this one due to the parameters being more than too broad. A varmint can be a 25 pound groundhog. Big game can be an Elk or a Moose. I love my 25-06, but I wouldn't take it on an Elk hunt, nor would I carry my .300 Winchester for groundhogs either.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I think it's best to not vote in this one due to the parameters being more than too broad. A varmint can be a 25 pound groundhog. Big game can be an Elk or a Moose. I love my 25-06, but I wouldn't take it on an Elk hunt, nor would I carry my .300 Winchester for groundhogs either.
Common sense!;)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

I have a friend in Wyoimg that used a 243 for back up while guiding Elk hunters as well as harvesting his own Elk each year.

He was an exclent hunter and shot, but the broad brush that you use would not allow him to have a choice

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
I think what gets lost in "discussions" like this is that nobody is proposing to take away someone's right to choose, only that they choose wisely. I hope we can all agree that a 7mm or 30 magnum is a better choice than a 243, for hunting elk. It's important to note that nobody is suggesting to take away a guide's choice of that diminutive cartridge, only voicing our own unique preferences, for a given hunting situation.

To put it succinctly, the person who lives, works and guides in elk country is much more likely to choose a smaller cartridge than someone who only has a handful of days a year, or maybe in his whole life, to hunt and harvest an elk.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love my 243's even if its the most cursed cartridge on the net. I will use it on deer to 400yds and varmints to 500yds(cause I can't shoot no better). I reload and maximize the 243(with premium bullets and lots of powder) to its fullest potential for big game. This is why I will shoot any deer at extreme angles and know it will exit leaving a nice hole. But as much as I love the 243 it is regulated to nothing bigger than deer sized game especially when the range gets long. This is how I believe a 25-06 should be treated. Just not enough bullet for truely large game. I know this this will ruffle some feathers but the 25-06 is only a half a step more than a 243. A true step up is the 270/280. When game is big and ranges get long I reach for the 300win mag. If I was living in Alaska again I'd have to buy another 338win mag. Dave

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.