Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay.. ive got a good 336 30 30.. with plenty of leverolution..
yet every time i take the thing out..invariably the thought comes to mind.. well this is a fine gun..but,if i had my 06 ,id be good for out to 400 yrds or as close as 20 yrds..the 336 handles so well an is a fine gun ..
im partial to it..but it just don t make sense to carry it when i have access to my 06 anytime i want it from the fella that owns it now..
i use 165 fusion an 180 winchesters..this pushed along way faster than the 30 30 does..so im selling it..
does it make sense to build the case that im better prepared for any eventuality.. if on this forum in the trade part i have it listed .. but
i hope somebody wants it ..because im either carrying a 22 with 4-12 an velocitors or my 06. this mostly just to slip out behind the house an pick a target out at some distance an try for it..
now you 30 30 die hards tell me whats wrong with my thinking on the subject.. mabe you can convince me an i decide to keep the 30 30 set up..:)slim

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hard to argue with anyone who shoots deer with a .30-30 or .30-06, since they have killed 10x more deer than all other American calibers put together. I love .30-06s. Are you sure you wouldn't just assume keep that Marlin though for a handy back-up:)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
with as much ammo as you have for the 30-30 it would be best to keep it considering anythign out 250 yards is dead with that leverevolution ammo. Cheaper than the '06 to feed. Less recoil, 30-30's are cool.
They are cool. I wish I had never parted with my 94. It shot consistent 2.5 inch groups at 100yds with open sights. I see his point though. Sometimes I want to take a Hawken out during rifle season for fun. But I always think, "what if I see a huge buck out there at 300.........;)

·
Banned
442 Posts
If you can only have one high power I wouldnt hesatate a moment to get the 30-06. It is the one caliber that can do it all, all over the world. Quite a few people have successfully killed elephant and cape buffalo with them. They have great versatility of bullets and greatly outrange most people ability to hit at extended range. Their has been much hype about the LeverElevalution ammo extending the effective range of the 30-30 and I will have to tentavily agree but have never heard of and game larger than small deer taken with it. I have shot an elk at 200 yards with a 30-30 and standard 170 ammo and can now say that on that size of game that was way way to far for a humane kill. Big animals require heavy jacketed bullets and the Hornadays LOOKS frajile but have now evidence of its performance on heavy bones. It may sound like Im not a 30-30 fan but on the contrary just check out my name.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Slim, I gotta get down your way and show you the boomers aren't all bad :D

My .338 Win Mag in the current stock, weighs in around 11 lbs, and with the super soft recoil pad, its like shooting any 30-06. Just with a lot more authority !

Anyway, 30-30's have a lot of history, and they are probably the most ideal whitetail cartridge if there is such a thing. I'd keep it if I were you !

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
everyone thinks ,,it seems as i do..its a fine gun..
to be honest ,i think if i didn t just have way more time in with the 06..
if i had started out with the 30 30 ,who knows i might not have ever bought the 06..then im sure id know the gun much better,,an preach
that it was all id ever need.. but having the 06 ,,its always been my back up..
now to be honest it would remain a fine,, role playing back up,, if i wasn t needing money..sickness has hit my wife in a bad way..she was on schedual to make 50.000+ if she had worked the whole yr..she was a nurse..
now im down to my ss check an a small pension check..so im left trying to make good on debts she made when she was in the money..it was her money an i didn t try an tell her what to do with it..nor she mine..plus the medical cost that this surprize has hit us with.. if we ever get her disability money coming in,,i ll start chipping away at that..[only problem is i doubt she will get to draw it long if she ever sees any of it..]
but to be honest when i could go hunting ,,it was never my first choice,,
as some areas here allow for 3-400 yrd shots..id gotten proficent enough that a 350 -400 yrd shot was just something i had confidence in with my 06..little wind of course..
if it don t sell ,,i won t worry though ,,as i think that much of the gun..
but its kinda like mabe being in the old west an you know you the second fastest gun in town..
i use to watch a lot of westerns when i was young..:Di realize that was just tv s version of the old west..
thanks for yalls opinions an i appreciate the input..slim:)

·
Inactive account
330 Posts
Slim, hold on to that 336 in 30-30. I regret mine getting away from me. Get that 06 and hold on to the 30-30.

I do disagree with the previous post. the 30-06 is not the most versatile ever. It is the most popular in the US and a great round. There are many rounds that are more versatile.

Good luck
GF

·
Banned
101 Posts
Slim, hold on to that 336 in 30-30. I regret mine getting away from me. Get that 06 and hold on to the 30-30.

I do disagree with the previous post. the 30-06 is not the most versatile ever. It is the most popular in the US and a great round. There are many rounds that are more versatile.

Good luck
GF
Which one is more versatile? Everyone seems to love a good ole '06.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Technically, the .338 Win Mag is more versatile. Can easily be loaded for Whitetail, and can actually put some muscle on a big brownie. Im not saying the 30-06 wont kill a brown bear, but there are better tools for the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.