Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun to refinish a stock on a marlin model 25 and cant belive they would cover such a beautiful piece of wood!I'm not sure what kind of wood it is but the grain is very busy and I used a natural stain that brought out the grain if i knew how i'd share the pic w/y'all it is my squrril rifle and is pretty accurate out to 100yds[groundhogs head shots]and head shots on tree rats are a gimme out to 50yds

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You can upload your pictures to an online storage site (Google is what I use) and then use the little icon on the toolbar that lets you insert a hyperlink (Insert Image) to the file. I'd really like to see the picture, if you can do that. :)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Birch and similar woods used in "economy-grade" rifles can have some really nice grain. Problem is, most people want walnut, not something else, and if they can't afford walnut they want something that at least sorta looks like it. So, Marlin and others apply a stain and finish to try and fake the walnut look. I agree with you -- I usually prefer whatever is underneath to the masquerade of a "walnut finish", but you and I ain't everyone else out there, and Marlin knows it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haven't figured out how to do much on a computer yet I can send pics on e-mail but am rather computer challenged only been on line a couple weeks but learning marlin could sell the same stock as premium if their stocks are all like this one

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I used the Birchwood Casey kit on mine, I put the stain on straight out of the bottle and was a little peeved that it didn't come out darker, but it is nice rich toasted golden color, and it shoots better than it looks!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marlin

I used min wax 209natural it darkenedthe wood only slightly I've got to seal it yet.I used an nbfb6 stone on the trigger and it breaks clean at 2.75lbs took it apart and put it back togeather about a dozen times to b sure i didnt go to far ive opened the bbl chanel a bit and plan on bedding the lug that attaches bbl to stock and bedding action this is my 1st attempt at this extensive type of work and figured rifle was inexpensive to replace if I goobered it up.so far it sure is purty hope when im done it shoots as good as it looks.Took bbl band off 10-22 and opened bbl channel made huge difference,cut groups nearly in half.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used min wax 209natural it darkenedthe wood only slightly I've got to seal it yet.I used an nbfb6 stone on the trigger and it breaks clean at 2.75lbs took it apart and put it back togeather about a dozen times to b sure i didnt go to far ive opened the bbl chanel a bit and plan on bedding the lug that attaches bbl to stock and bedding action this is my 1st attempt at this extensive type of work and figured rifle was inexpensive to replace if I goobered it up.so far it sure is purty hope when im done it shoots as good as it looks.Took bbl band off 10-22 and opened bbl channel made huge difference,cut groups nearly in half.
I have also done everything you said. You may have a problem with the trigger. They are only hardened on the surface from the factory, and my stoning took it all off. The trigger wore out and the gun became unsafe after around 500rds. I was able to order a new one. this time after stoning it i rehardened it(very simple) and it has lasted over a year with no problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heat then oil quench is what i did i knew the hardening was thin also u can get a trigger kit through sinclair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts