Shooters Forum banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #281 (Edited)
That took a while but finally the 308 has a vote against it being slow fat and ugly .
One person has come forward to say it is short and sexy.
..... mmm now that there is some definite figures = 1 against every one else ,I feel that we are getting somewhere now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Short and fat is very sexy to some people. Some prefer tall and slim. I like something in the middle. It is amusing that some people get so serious or upset over such simple things. I don't think it is the cartridge that upsets them. It is anyone not agreeing with them that gets their temper up. 7 billion people in the world and they expect all 7 billion to agree with them on everything. I can not think of any popular cartridge that is useless. Some body is buying them. They all fit into some bodies shooting or hunting ideal or they would not be on the store shelves.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It is irrelevant how much powder its uses. Same weight bullet at same velocity gives the same result.

Strange that W.J.D. Bell once said if he was starting over he would use the .308.
Actually less powder is better with a more efficient case. I get more shots per pound out of the ugly 308. Still, the 3006 is just as ugly to the deer I shoot!

·
Registered
161 Posts
This thread is old but this sort of discussion is akin to Pepsi and Coke lovers trying to convince one another that their choice is the best choice. Gotta ad a little science, however. Little body taper and sharper shoulders give cartridges an edge when it comes to accuracy. But this is so moot when comparing these wonderful chamberings.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is just a troll topic. I happen to know one example where an entire herd of Elephants were culled with 308 service rifles. The 3006 is good too of course. And no, don't try that at home, heh.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
So are you saying Pepsi and the 308 win are in the same basket ?
This is just a troll topic. I happen to know one example where an entire herd of Elephants were culled with 308 service rifles. The 3006 is good too of course. And no, don't try that at home, heh.
frhunter13 has information of one such culling operation I think.... :). Thousands of elephant were brain shot in culling operations with the South African made R1 (based on the FN FAL frame) and 150 gr flat nose brass turned bullets at 2,600 ft/sec. This rifle and those bullets killed more elephant than all other calibres combined in the history of Africa. There are men younger than I am who have each killed twice as many elephant than Selous or Bell or Barnard or any of the other illegal ivory poachers who became world heroes outside of Africa.

This being an ancient, tongue-in-cheek trolling thread :) it may be enlightening to indeed compare both cartridges with the two dark sodas as proposed by Shreck: A can of either Pepsi or Coke has considerably more energy than a 150 gr .300 Win Mag bullet has at the muzzle - so these two non-belted non-magnum cartridges under discussion are both pansies when compared to either Pepsi or manly Coke.:p

Added: Even the heat energy value of the explosion in a 300 Win Mag case is less than that in a can of coke. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Argue the pros cons and reasons for development Of the 7.62 nato (.308 Win.) with The department of defense and/or Winchester. I could list them. Ain’ta gonna.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Laugh.

I've got into this humorous post late....but time on my hands with virus hibernation. So...

I have both. Problem is naming. If we just would call the '06 the Hornady 7.62 Magnum it would see a resurgence. Load it hot so the ancient rifles wouldn't use it. with P++ they would be right up with the 30 cal magnums, and outsell the 260-30TC.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
'06 and 308....phhhhhhtttttttttttt.

i vote for 30-40 krag vs 30-03 springfield.:D;):D

·
Registered
161 Posts
The .308 is way more accurate than the 3006 !..

I know you are just goat roping but .308s are slightly more accurate than 30-06s but the rifle and shooter are much more important of course. Case shape they say. Like a .243 has better potential accuracy than a 6mm Rem. Only consideration? No. I chose a 6mm Rem cuz Jack O’Connor said the case is more hand loader friendly. Geez I suppose I have now roped a goat or two. Remington brass is better than Winchester brass by the way.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
'06 and 308....phhhhhhtttttttttttt.

i vote for 30-40 krag vs 30-03 springfield.:D;):D
The very first such debate might have went like this,
Stick vs. rock? I like stick because it's much more versatile, sharpen it and spear fish, can't do that with a rock. Of course you could dam up the stream with rocks, decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
The very first such debate might have went like this,
Stick vs. rock? I like stick because it's much more versatile, sharpen it and spear fish, can't do that with a rock. Of course you could dam up the stream with rocks, decisions decisions.
Building a dam .... there is a good use for the 308’s :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read through this whole thread years ago.

I am such an old fogy that my .243 and two .22-250s are built into model 70 LONG actions, and I don’t feel handicapped.

I have a Rem 700 short action in .22-250 and it is a nice little rifle, but just 3/8” shorter...I am not sure I see the point. What if I wanted a 6mm Rem, or a .257 Roberts, or a 7x57 Mauser, or even an 8x57 Mauser? Short actions have made those choices hard to come by.

I have one AR10 in .308 and I do see that point. I have several .30-06s now, and have traded away two others (one of which I really regret). If hostilities break out with the Bigfoots, I might really need those 200 gr Barnes bullets.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Awe... thats harsh.

Girls wanna shoot guns too ya know.
Mum shoots deer with a 30-06, starts at there feet and works her way up.
Told her she should get a 308 magnum .
To busy with her jigsaw puzzle to worry about it .

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like the 308 in a short action like my Savage 99, makes the best of saddle guns..otherwise I lean towards my old time, all time favorites the 30-06, everything has its place and there is a place for everything fits the 308 vs the 30-06..I have both..

281 - 300 of 323 Posts