Shooters Forum banner

301 - 320 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
The two cartridges are as close to a dead even tie up to 150 grain bullets. After that the '06 starts taking over. The higher powder capacity allows for more, slower burning powder, that keeps the velocities progressively higher in the '06.
It may not make a big difference on impact but you have to admit the flatter trajectory gives you a few more yards in the point blank yard distance. Hunting is about getting close enough to your target to be effective no matter what you choice of cartridge is so any difference between the 308 and 30-'06 is of little importance in the real world.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I liked the 30-06 until I got a 308 dear rifle . Now I like the .308 better

First 308 was a old kinda beat up stock, from horse packing, 1953 Winchester model 70 featherweight I got for $200. Had a cheap junk scope and loose rings and bases on it. Stripped it down, Cleaned it up , nice bore, put new bases and rings and a new Luepold 2x7 scope on it. Left the stock as is , gives it character

Its a shooter !

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ive seen elephant culls, and the wardens use the .308 in simi autos to kill them...If anyone thinks they can tell the difference in killing power on deer and elk between the two they have an over active imagination or just stupid..

My favorite bolt gun is the 30-06 pre 64 mod. 70 Win. My favorite lever gun caliber is the 308 in a SAvage 99 and its my saddle gun..I have shot a number of elk with both..

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Big 5 - your post was moderated. No need to degrade others with comments. Remember our #1 rule - be courteous and respect the opinions of others.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
As to differences:
30-06 was the follow on to the earlier 30-40 Kraig andc 30-03 Gov't rounds.
Each was developed for requirements of the era, including long range aimed fire accuracy and use in Volly fire.
The .308 came along after WW2, Korea, and Vietnam experiences.

Volly fire was replaced with semi-auto and full-auto fire from a smaller number of troops involved in local firefights.
It seems Aimed long range fire is no longer required from most troops, being the perview of Snipers now.

The .308 allows a shorter action rifle.
The .223 allows a lighter rifle and greater number of cartridges carried per troop.
Snipers seem to use heavier rifles and smaller number of carried rounds per troop in a larger, heavier cartridge.

Different requirements yield different resultinmg cartricdges and firearms.

it seems for Long Range one shot kills on any beast, you would be advised to use a larger caliber cartridge than ,308 such as, at the extreme, .50BMG.

Chev. William

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've got both calibers in both Mil (M1 Garand and M1A) and civilian (Winchester Model 70 and Model 88) and I couldn't disagree with the OP more. However, I've only been hunting, shooting and reloading for them for a little over 55 years so maybe I'm too new at the calibers to understand. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Travis299

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
One thing that has me surprised that has come out if this thread is how many people say they prefer the milder recoil of the 308 but it still produces the (virtually) same performance as the 30-06 ?
I am not arguing the point let’s just get that strait before I ask this question , how can this be.

Cheers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To Shrek's observation: I played with the formulas for recoil a few years back, made a spreadsheet for my handguns, but not my rifles.

Recoil impulse factors are weight of the bullet, muzzle velocity, and weight of the powder charge and the result is in pounds/sec. As I understand it, RI is just a raw measure of how much energy is generated by the cartridge.

The free recoil velocity factors the recoil impulse with the weight of the gun to give you a number in feet/second- I think of it as how fast the gun rams into your shoulder or hand.

So with equal weight bullets, by the numbers a .308 would have slightly less recoil impulse due to the (slightly less) powder charge and bullet velocity. Though a short-action 308 gun ought to weigh a little less than a similar 30-06, so you'd think the free recoil velocity would be somewhat similar.

·
Registered
488 Posts
One thing that has me surprised that has come out if this thread is how many people say they prefer the milder recoil of the 308 but it still produces the (virtually) same performance as the 30-06...how can this be?
Yes, less powder at the same velocity and pressure means slightly less calculated recoil, but I have to wonder how many of those who replied here have actually fired both the ‘06 and the .308 to be able to compare them. IMO most just parrot what some gunwriter said in a gunzine...

·
Registered
297 Posts
The recoil difference between the 308 and the 3006 is greatly affected by the weight of the gun. My brothers Remington 788 in 308 had a much harsher recoil than my 10 pound 3006 hunting rifle. The difference in weight was a bit more than three pounds.
Yes I lug a 10- pound rifle all over the Cascade and Olympic mountains and no, it was never heavy after a day long hike that covered 14 or 15 miles. My 40 pound pack was heavy but not my rifle or pistol. :)

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Both are great cartridges. I use either interchangably and purchase one or the other did to what rifles I'm wanting. The 06 may be overrated due to the praise that's been heaped on it for well over 100 years.

To claim it great for all North American game when there are so many other fine cartridges available is something of a "dated" look at things, IMO. But, it would be on most Hunter's short lists is asked to use only one cartridge.

The well known "fact" that the 06 is considerably better with 180 loads is not as "true" as many believe. The difference is not 10% velocity wise as many seem to believe. But, rather it's on the order of 3% ; 2700 FPS for typical 06/180s and 2620 FPS for typical .308/180 commercial loads.

My last purchases of 308 & 30/06 rifles were driven by the price and wood quality rather then which cartridge. I purchased a M70 FW Maple stock in .308 and then added a M70 SS FW Maple stock in 30/06. I also found a Nice Sako M85 Classic in 06 and then added a M85 SS Hunter in .308. Very minimal differences in rifles and performance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are all way over thinking fhis. There is a very good reason the U.S. Army stopped using 3006 for sniper rifles. It is because the 308 does the same job cheaper and more
Efficiently. End of discussion.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
You are all way over thinking fhis. There is a very good reason the U.S. Army stopped using 3006 for sniper rifles. It is because the 308 does the same job cheaper and more
Efficiently. End of discussion.

Ahhhh no. 7.62X51 was developed for other reasons.

Suggest you do some history reading.

Both cartridges have their place in performance. I do shoot both.

301 - 320 of 323 Posts