Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about 85 days the first morels will be poppin I can't wait!!

Heres some we found growing about 30 feet out from the edge of the wood line in a corn field..

I'll post some more picz of other types we eat also if anyones interested. Thanks for looking.
SG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man - You are some lucky! I got one per year for the past few years.... ONE ! One measely morel growing completely by itself! How weird is that??

I LOVE those things sauteed with butter, brandy or bourbon, and lots of heavy cream... mmmmm.... I am totally jelous!

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Mmmm..., just need some garlic (pressed from cloves, not the bottled stuff!) and butter. Are those all morels, or are some 'calf brain' mushrooms? I'm asking from ignorance as I don't go by myself, but have seen the morels and what are called 'calf brains' (the lighter colored ones?) collected in Idaho here with friends while spring squirrel hunting, but don't know if age is the only difference between the two?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have always wondered about the smaller greenish gray ones. People say they are immature yellow ones but I don't think so. Even amongst the experts it depends on who you ask. There is a small gray variety that grows under tulip trees also. There is a very early flush of big yellow ones in a certain place here every year. It's odd because they are large and come up before anything else. Later in the season as it warms up is when you see the really huge yellow ones but these are decent sized. I think genetics has alot to do with it. If you find a tall boy beer can sized yellow one late in the season then go back to the same place the next year at the same time. Likely there will be another just as big.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts