Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This'll make the rest of the pictures even better.... please no questions about which one is me!

Mike

Attachments

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Gee Mike,
How come you hang upside down like that while taking a shower? Don't that gambrel hurt your knees?

Good pic. Any details about the hunt?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
:cool: Hey buddy, nice pig! And no, I won't even begin to tease you!
I've only shot one boar, down in Tennessee, but it was a blast! I'd love to go again some time. See ya, IDShooter

·
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I didn't even shoot it! On a typical varmit safari in south Texas one weekend, just cruising a 10,000acre ranch looking for pigs. Buddy shot this one about 9:00am Sunday morning with a .308, over the hood of my bronco, range 250 yards. The 150 gr. Ballistic Tip went through the neck-shoulder junction & we found it under the hide on the opposite rib cage. Dropped on the spot.

I shot one the previous day, but my buddies in camp got hungry so the BBQ'd it that night. It was real small, maybe 30 lbs or so.

Just a typical pig on a typical hunt. It was late April, and already hot. Note the shorts, t-shirt, & cowboy hat. Gotta have the right gear or the heat down here will just do you in.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Now you really got the juices flowing. Looks like a great skinning pole and water supply you got there.

What about camp? Hey, there's an idea. How about some hunt camp pics. That would make a fun thread. Camping and hunting combined. I don't know about y'all but that is heaven on earth for me.

·
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chief,

Most ranches in TX have some sort of hunting camp. Usually a bunch of old house trailers & RVs. Of course a pole to hang the critters off of, or some tackle suspended from a tree. This one was fairly nice, had running water (although ground water that was not real clean) and a walk-in cooler (VERY good to have in TX).

Kinda need a setup like that, with electricity for the A/C, or it's just unbearable most of the year (even sometimes in deer season it can be in the 90's). This one was close enough to Corpus Christi that we could pick up their TV stations, so it couldn't have been more than an hour to Mexico.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Went to Corpus Chrisi on buisness a few years ago and took the nichol tour at the King ranch so I know what the land looks like. Got to go out on the Islands too. It sure is a great place to visit. The County Line Barbque and the chees grits were my favorites.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Mike,
90 during deer season?!?:eek: OK, now I remember why I put up with snow from November to April!
We've actually had a bit of a heat wave up here the past couple weeks- we've had several days with the highs over 100 and on two different days my thermometer read 107, though the official temp was only about 103. Normal highs for this time of year are the mid-80's.
Dang, I guess you do need a cooler for those kinds of temperatures!

Chief - Hunting camp pictures would be cool! Ours wouldn't be real impressive because it mostly consists of the pickup, our packs, and our own selves. But I've seen some pretty impressive set-ups up here. See ya, IDShooter

·
Registered
220 Posts
MikeG,
Where's the cowboy boots ? You're disappointing me:D . Thought all texans wore their boots with shorts. Nice picture, glad to see you back.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
MikeG said:
This'll make the rest of the pictures even better.... please no questions about which one is me!

Mike
Looks like you have surgical gloves on in that pic.
LAst summer, after cleaning three or four of them on a week-end, by Tuesday, I got some swelling under two fingernails. By the following week they vestered and I started loosing the nails.
No I don't go to doctors much.
The point is that in the summer down here, there animals can carry all types of critters and germs.
The insides are clean, the outside is another matter. Now,when I clean them, I always use antiseptic soap and even alcohal if I have it
Also, use surgical gloves during the warmer months.
If it can happen to anyone, it will happen to me.
FYI
Tom

·
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yup, I wear gloves, for one thing you keep a better grip on the knife when it gets 'slippery' and that cuts down on fatigue.

Also, wash hands well when done, and quite often give them a final rinse with some denatured alcohol that I keep in the truck. That's a little rough on your skin but you'll know for sure if you have sustained a cut in the cleaning process!!!!

The thorns in the critters' hides can be as much a hazard as anything else. Shot a hog through a prickly pear cactus once, and the entire side looked like a pincushion. A little ticklesh to skin that side out....

Also, never underestimate how much damage a little mesquite thorn can do.... they leave tiny bits under your skin and couple days later, they fester up rather severely. Needless to say you have to get the bits of 'crud' dug out and some neosporin on it, pronto......

Oh and there's nothing more exciting than being in a tree stand and suddenly discovering the fire ants have staked a claim on it (or wasps in a tower blind) and trying to make a hasty exit without breaking a leg in the process....

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Had deer with those durn'd mesquite and cactus thorns embedded in them too! I'll use gloves to handle them, such as dragging or tossing into the back of a pickup bed.

Speaking of ants, Mike - remember some dove hunts down around Carrizo Springs where you had to immediately pick up any birds down. If you waited just a couple of minutes they would be entirely covered with ants.

·
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've made that mistake and had to throw them in the pond to drown the ants. It's a wonder anything can live down here....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hey Mike,

I had to go to Corpus chrisie one time on buisness and we made it out to the King Ranch for the tour and I knew a fellow that was a ranger at Padre Island so we went out there for a day. Have I seen part of your country. We made the outside loop back to CC and saw the coast. That is a very diverse place and the King Ranch, well I was amazed and we saw just a little.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Fellas,
Been reading your last few posts on this thread and started laughing so hard I nearly fell off my chair. I wanna hog hunt so bad it hurts. Thorns, mesquite and cactus, ants, HA HA! Only thing to hunt in Alberta in winter is coyotes and porkypigs, haven't found a good recipe for them yet!
Later Bryan

·
36,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bryan.... if you get the chance, jump on it. A rather entertaining venture, even if it has little in common with what you would consider sport hunting. Sort of like edible varmiting, but no actual rules (at least not in Texas). Hope you get a chance.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Mike,

I think I recognize that pig!

Ok, I have a picture too. This one came from the Lake Buchanan area just west of Burnet. My trusty .223 Remington knocked this one down with one shot just behind the ear. Dropped in his tracks. I actually got to use the illuminated scope reticle on him as the sun was just coming up.

:cool:

Joe

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts