Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An ethical hunter question ? I have these " Wild Turkey " constantly coming & going around the house. I can walk outside & they may walk away a few feet . Never seem upset with me there. They see me & I see them on a regular basis. I had spent 22 years as a hunter safety instructor. I stressed hunter ethics. So, how would you folks out there look at this. Do you think it would be ethical to harvest one of these turkeys according to the local hunting rules ? Your thoughts /

·
The Shadow
7,573 Posts
Unless you see them as close personal friends, why wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
14,659 Posts
On semi-pets that you enjoy watching, a suppressed .22 works well. The birds (pheasants) don't mind the fluttering of a headshot rooster in their midst and continue feeding and don't change behavior.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On semi-pets that you enjoy watching, a suppressed .22 works well. The birds (pheasants) don't mind the fluttering of a headshot rooster in their midst and continue feeding and don't change behavior.
Kind of my thought . But since I haven't been here the required 180 days to be a resident I will just have to watch until the 2021 spring hunt. So sad , but so true. Easter maybe...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
There's a big population of turkeys that roam the streets eating out of bird feeders in a little town near where I hunt, I suspect the locals round them up occasionally and take them to the meat processor. Turkeys' become tame and plump very quickly in rural areas if not hunted. Somebody near you has a bird feeder or is simply feeding them either to eat them or they're bird watchers.
If I lived where you do I'd build a turkey pen and get a couple of Royal Palm turkeys, it's alot of fun to watch them interact with wild turkeys through the fence especially in spring. Get a bird feeder as well. Royal Palms are a beautiful bird and taste much like wild turkey although the meat is lighter, the eggs are good as well and huge!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm on 160 acres here. No close neighbors. They seem to really like the gravel drive entrance. Why I don't know.

·
Premium Member
14,659 Posts
Food water and gravel are their requirements. All birds prefer a specific mixture for their gizzards. Turkeys in volcanic cap rock areas seek out limestone bits. On the Grande Ronde river, they scratch and peck at a rare ledge of sedimentary rock in the flood basalts like elk do a salt lick.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
More diffcult/ethical than it seems....but am on the side of shoot'em/cook'em/eat'em.
MAybe not law-legal to "dry gultch" them (shoot them with a rifle while on the ground)...that might be related to the time of year and how much the local wild life officers want to keep deer poachers at bay during their off-seasons.
So I'm not going to tell you to break local-law....but what would be nicer for Thanksgiving than a Pilgrim-turkey-bake?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We also have an abundance of turkey roaming the "in-between" lands here. Would I shoot one? If I were really hungry, or knew of a needy family that would appreciate it, sure I would. Personally, I don't like how they taste. But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's clear the herd needs thinning. I'd have no problem taking a couple out of the gen pool. They'll never know the difference.

I'll add way back in the day, after my father broke his heel falling into a basement on a job he was working on, he would sit in the alcove on the back of our house and shoot pheasants that walked the fence line with a 22. My brothers would retrieve the bounty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
An ethical hunter question ? I have these " Wild Turkey " constantly coming & going around the house. I can walk outside & they may walk away a few feet . Never seem upset with me there. They see me & I see them on a regular basis. I had spent 22 years as a hunter safety instructor. I stressed hunter ethics. So, how would you folks out there look at this. Do you think it would be ethical to harvest one of these turkeys according to the local hunting rules ? Your thoughts /
View attachment 99807
Oh my and yes Sir... if you are OK with it and it is legal you'd be smart to enjoy a turkey dinner or more than one. Remember the bacon to wrap the breast. I used toothpicks to hold a pound of bacon on a wild turkey breast recently and the family loved it. 6 hours in the smoker at 225 worked like a champ... basting periodically. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
We also have an abundance of turkey roaming the "in-between" lands here. Would I shoot one? If I were really hungry, or knew of a needy family that would appreciate it, sure I would. Personally, I don't like how they taste. But that's just me. :)

i don't like the taste of wild turkey too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm OK with it, for what it's worth. My BIL had a big family and was injured on the job. He had to pay for everything and feed his family while living on unemployment. He killed about one deer a month on his property and I'm fine with that. You seem to be in a situation where you have an over supply of turkeys. Taking one legally should not even be worthy of a thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts