Shooters Forum banner

Wildcat cartridge design

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fireplug 
#1 ·
Fred Zeglin, owner of Z-Hat Custom and designer of the "Hawk" family of wildcat cartridges based on the 30/06 and some new "Ultra Cats" based on the 300 Ultra Mag, is offering a wildcat design class at Murray State College.

Time to be arranged, class meets during the summer months.
Instructor:
Fred Zeglin, Owner of Z-Hat Custom

Prerequisite of working knowledge of a machine shop is required.

Course content will include the process of designing and testing a wildcat cartridge will be covered in detail. Tool design, simple tools for experimenting and testing new cartridge designs. Specialized tooling and reloading dies will be constructed in class.

Each student will fabricate tools, form & trim dies, and form brass for the cartridge in class.  Time permitting the students will test the wildcats in class.

To sign up, or for more information please call, Dean Arnold,
Gunsmithing Dept. at (580)371-3571 Ext. 235

Or Email Dean at:  darnold@msc.cc.ok.us

For more information contact Fred Zeglin:  Fred@z-hat.com

Tishomingo, OK  73460
Housing Info:
Motel is the Western Inn (580)371-2358, ask for
the school program.

For information on Z-hat's website go to:

http://www.z-hat.com/wildcatdesign.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
alyeska 338, i certainly have the desire, but not the knowledge. i would greatly like to learn some machine shop skills. when i was looking for a new caliber, z-hat looked very good. 411 is not too far from a 404j. an interesting site to say the least. also i have never heard any negative comments from any of his customers. halfbreed

#3 ·
The wildcat design class is a great idea, but would be more useful to a larger audience if split into two classes of more depth. One covering the actual design phase to go from vague idea to cartridge and reamer drawings, component lists, and load and performance projections. The other class much like the one described for the how to of turning the design into metal.

I think many would be like me very interested in gaining skills and tools for the design stage, but content to turn the reamer, die, and chamber work over to those with the experience and tooling.

Fireplug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.