Shooters Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
On the SOCOM based round, if it is to be used in an AR-15 then maximum chamber pressure must be held to 35000 psi just as it is with the .458. Caliber has really nothing to do with the pressure because they all have the same case head size. The backthrust on the bolt lugs is the same for a .458 size case head at 35000 psi as it is for a 5.56 sized case head at 55000 psi.
There have been a lot of necking up and down with the .458S case and in an AR platform all are limited to 35K psi.
Now, in a bolt gun the bolt lug backthrust limit does not apply. Then you are only limited by the use of pistol primers but if you ream the pockets for rifle primers you can take maximum pressures up to 50-55k psi. Many have done this in bolt gun chambered in .458S and and they can take the SOCOM into areas that would wreck an AR.
I shoot loads in my bolt action .458S pistol that go well beyond what would be safe limits in an AR.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Cheap, cheapee, and cheaper

ChevWilliam, Yes but the little rubber thingee is so much cheaper for the average reader here, who may only have a simple outside micrometer.

Personally, if someone would grind one of the little super magnets into a hemisphere, it would stick tight to the mic's stem without any Rubber holder. And with a dimple in it's rounded top, it would still hold onto a smaller polished ball, the same as the rubber jobbie does. I pretty much had to run my fixture in to close the air gap, in order to be sure what diameter this little ball was, anyway. I also have a Starett Ball mic, but it has a larger rounded surface, than what some of these tiny r. f. case walls would accept. IMHO.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts