Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:

Here is a different approach Benjamin has just introduced a .357 caliber air rifle with velocities of 1000 fps, accurate to 150 yards, 150 to 300 ft lbs energy and nosler 145gr bullet with sectional density .162 and ballistic coefficient of .176. Its a ballistic tip eXTREME made for this air gun.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Nowhere near enough energy for any kind of big game but it would be a fun and "different" way of taking small game, I guess? I've noticed quite a few more options with air guns, especially larger calibers than the traditional .177 pellet guns we all grew up with. My thing is, they cost as much as some used big game rifles and, for the life of me, I've just never seen what one offered that was anywhere near as useful as a standard .22LR.

I've hunted with one well-made, high-velocity, "serious" pellet gun and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, at the end of the day, it was still less effective than my old Marlin bolt-action 22, despite costing 5 times as much. Kinda hard for me to get excited about that. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nowhere near enough energy for any kind of big game but it would be a fun and "different" way of taking small game, I guess? I've noticed quite a few more options with air guns, especially larger calibers than the traditional .177 pellet guns we all grew up with. My thing is, they cost as much as some used big game rifles and, for the life of me, I've just never seen what one offered that was anywhere near as useful as a standard .22LR.

I've hunted with one well-made, high-velocity, "serious" pellet gun and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, at the end of the day, it was still less effective than my old Marlin bolt-action 22, despite costing 5 times as much. Kinda hard for me to get excited about that. :)
The information I read claimed more energy than the 22 LR so it will be intersting to see what performance reports come back from field use. It would be a very quiet way to hunt in areas where going un-noticed would be benificial. It would seem that a 6.5 or 270 bullet design would have been a better performer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts