Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the performance be even marginal if you made a .375-350 RM, or .416 , or even a .458?

How about a .458 WSM ?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 6.5 rem mag has 68gr h20 capacity, 10+ more than the .260. The 22-243 middlestead is awesome. Now I'm imagining a 22-6.5 RM

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The 223 WSSM has a case capacity of roughly 54 grains, depending on who made the case. They burned out tubes very quickly and the round has become obsolete, as a result. A necked down 6.5RM would just be more of the same.

You can be sure that the 350RM has been necked up to anything suitable, by somebody, somewhere. I'm not sure why anyone would choose a belted short cartridge as a parent case, these days, when the various WSM and SAUM cases would be a more logical choice. Also, the 458X2 American is a belted case that is 2.000" long. The 350RM case (before being opened up) is just 2.170" long. How finely do you want to split the hair, exactly?

What you have to take into account is barrel life on the smaller, grossly over-bore options, and the availability of bullets that function well in the resultant velocity range, when going up in neck size with a particular case. For the most part, the most popular cartridges for a given bore diameter are popular because they offer a great blend of case capacity, bullet weight/performance, and availability of good quality, cost-effective rifles.

Other than that, the sky's the limit, as long as you have money to throw at it. Neck down a 375 Ruger and call it the 8mm Faucett.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Interesting. the 350 RM is based upon the 300 H&H case (as are most magnum belted).
So opening it up to 458, which would be cool, is just the 458 2" mag. That is a nice round, which except for screwing up the belt is what the 450 Marlin is. It would duplicatethe 45-70.

I do like the 350-416 concept. would let you use 400 grain bullets.

Necking up to 350-375 would duplicate the '06-375 but have a decent size neck to head space upon and be shorter if one likes that.

You might want to consider the 350-9.3, this would duplicat the 9.3x62, maybe 150 fps faster like the 370 Sako. But would be in a shorter action than either.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 223 WSSM has a case capacity of roughly 54 grains, depending on who made the case. They burned out tubes very quickly and the round has become obsolete, as a result. A necked down 6.5RM would just be more of the same.

You can be sure that the 350RM has been necked up to anything suitable, by somebody, somewhere. I'm not sure why anyone would choose a belted short cartridge as a parent case, these days, when the various WSM and SAUM cases would be a more logical choice. Also, the 458X2 American is a belted case that is 2.000" long. The 350RM case (before being opened up) is just 2.170" long. How finely do you want to split the hair, exactly?

What you have to take into account is barrel life on the smaller, grossly over-bore options, and the availability of bullets that function well in the resultant velocity range, when going up in neck size with a particular case. For the most part, the most popular cartridges for a given bore diameter are popular because they offer a great blend of case capacity, bullet weight/performance, and availability of good quality, cost-effective rifles.

Other than that, the sky's the limit, as long as you have money to throw at it. Neck down a 375 Ruger and call it the 8mm Faucett.
Broom, I just like the little belted cases. You never see them any more. Maybe I'm grasping too hard to try and save the liddle belts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Tang, what is the length of the magazine that you plan to use? 2.8 or 3"?

Cause if you have a 3" mag, you can make a 2.3/8" long case in a 458. Using a 350 Speer FP.

One nice thing about a long case is that you can always load id down.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tang, what is the length of the magazine that you plan to use? 2.8 or 3"?

Cause if you have a 3" mag, you can make a 2.3/8" long case in a 458. Using a 350 Speer FP.

One nice thing about a long case is that you can always load id down.
I'm just spit balling right now. Everyone is trying to get away from the belts. I hate to see them disappear.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ackely did 358 Ackley mag and that was shorten 300H&H case and later he did improved on same case. 358 Norma mag necked up 308 Norma mag case. I shoot 35 WhelenAI and that about my limit on 35.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
When 300 RCM brass was not to be found, I made up my short RCM wildcats, using Nosler virgin 350 RM brass. Nosler wanted me to anneal if I necked these below 8mm. Think of it as a super sloppy 350 RM wildcat. No belt left after a firing or two, so no double head spacing off of the belt. But the 350's belt does center the rear of the case in my wildcat's chambers.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I've done several .458x2 (Americans) and three .416x2 carbines on 600 Remington and Ruger .350 mag M77s. They work on white-tails and hogs for sure!

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a brand new 350 Mag reamer, just don't know what to make from it yet! I have some 416 bullets, also have some .411s???

A 458x2" should be 2.250" so that you can get enough H4198 in it!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
When I form brass to make .458 X 2" AMERICAN brass, I use: .458 Magnum, .300 Win. Mag, and 7 m/m Remington Magnum brass. All work fine,

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The 9.3/.350 was done a few years back and called the 9.3BS (Barsness & Sisk). John used it in Alaska to take his first grizzly. I like the cartridge, makes good sense to me getting to use all the new, quality heavier 9.3mm bullets that have been produced by Nosler and Barnes.

Jack has explained how the oddball rifle that I found the other day came about. It was a M77RS in .450 Marlin. I wondered just which chambering that Ruger had been in to facilitate a fairly simple conversion (it's a rechamber/rebore). Very likely a .350RM. An
interesting rifle, to me, at the listed price. But I'm not sure it would be any improvement over my BLR/.450.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts