Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any leveraction wildcats based on the 444 Marlin case.  I shoot a T/C in .358 JDJ and think this would make a great levergun cartridge as would other calibers.  Any thoughts?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was ready to try a Winchester BigBore '94 in .375 JDJ but kinda lost my enthusiasm after talking to JD Jones about it. Apparantly the rechambering is the least of the project. The cartridge OAL is almost 1/2 inch longer, Marlins may not be a serious candidate for this due to the size restrictions, it's very hard to "stretch" a Marlin. Winchesters may be possible. With a lot of work. This would be a tinkerers project. Lots of little adjustments, here and there. If you go ahead with this project, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.-----------------------------------------------------------------> Bob

·
Registered
255 Posts
pourboy, that's the object of the 375 Beartooth. Mr. Gates will have that up and running shortly. Marshall is quite interested in the 375 version as well. This site has it all, LOL.:)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
RavenWolf....We are down to the line on our, I say our because it belong to the forum, .375x2" Beartooth. On this carteidge we took the same approach that we used on the .416x2" Beartooth....design it around the Marlin first! It falls between the .375 Win and the big .375's! I feel it will give all the power anyone will want in the Marlin and is designed that all the lube grooves are inside the neck. Any flat nose .375 jacketed bullet designed for the Marlin and Wichester will also work. using IMR [email protected] 50 grains will produce 41,000 +\- psi. With the Ball powders we can go on up to 44,000/45,000 psi and even higher in bolt guns. I am working on another wildcat called the .375 Beartooth Short Magnun for boltguns that uses the standard 06 head diameter, but I don't want to cover that yet. It will use the .284 Win case with the rebated rim. I really don't like RB rims, but to fit everything into short actions with the base of the bullet all in the neck and get the powder capacity I needed..I had to go with it. Marshall has the spec drawing on the .375x2" Beartooth now and we will post soon.
Best Regards from the Hammock....James

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr. Gates.  I'll await the intro of your 375 Beartooth and hopefully a 358 version will follow.  The reason I had wanted to see if I could chamber to .358 JDJ is that it is my favorite T/C cartridge for big game and I thought, if it could be done, it would be a great lever cartridge with almost 35 Whelen performance out of a levergun.  Since Canada does not allow handguns I felt a longgun in the same caliber I shoot would be nice.  Thanks for the responses everyone....RW

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
RavenWolf...I agree the .35 Whelen is a great cartridge and I have a fewfriends in South Florida use it in the Remington 7600. I "think" the .375x2" Beartooth will duplicate the Whelen since both seem to burn 50\52 grs (IMR)best. Although the .375x2" Beartooth has slightly less powder capacity, there more square area on the .375 bullet than the .357 bullet. All in All...I don't think any animal will know the difference when hit with a 250 gr, bullet in either caliber....dead is dead. Remember..we gave up a little powder space to get the OAL for the Marlin and a neck that covered all the lube grooves with the Beartooth bullets. This criteria had to be held.It looks like we are burning 10 grs more powder (by Volume) than the .375 Wincheater.
Best Regards from The Hammock.......James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts