Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
5,224 Posts
Sir James,
I don't think anyone can dispute your choice.  It would work for just about anything.  Simple, practical and can handle anything from birds to squirrels to moose to bears.  Yep.

I guess if out in the open plains another consideration would be a 12 gauge/30-06 over and under, but it would not be as utilitarian.

· Banned
5,224 Posts
James, as I said before, I do think you've got what I would head for the hills with.  Just to broaden the scope, though, the early fur traders and mountain men made out extremely well with their plains rifles.  Not quite as utilitarian as the double shotgun, but quite adaptable under all conditions.  Other than smokeless powder restrictions and the use of caps (I guess you could go with a flintlock), you can shoot whatever you can patch and cram down the barrel in a worst case scenerio.  Like I said, I would definitely try the shotgun if available, but wouldn't feel too compromised going with a smokepole, say 50 or 54 cal.

You really wouldn't have to worry with the bulk of empty hulls or priming.  All reloading accessories and supplies are fairly compact by comparison.

· Banned
5,224 Posts
FA18CUB,
The Dobe Grant character (was he a real person?) in Skeeter Skelton's articles favored a pump .22 as the one last gun.  Dobe and Skeeter were handgun folks, but when push come to shove for an all around survival tool, Dobe went out to the barn and came back with Remington pump .22.  That was his choice.  The .22 is a wonderful choice too.  Glad I don't have to make that decision.  If that decision is made for me, it'll likely because of a plane or helicopter crash while I'm going to or fro hunting, working or fishing.  Whatever I have with me at the time will have to do, I guess.

· Banned
5,224 Posts
I've got an elderly Stevens 5100 (the one with the plastic - not synthetic- stocks on it).  That little gun sure shoots nice and points well, but sounds something strange when shot.  I've been meaning to reblue and restock (with real wood) that rascal for years, but something always comes up and just never get around to it.  It's a 16 gauge sxs with mod/full and double triggers.  Ain't nothing fancy, but it sure does perform.  Not that I'll be shooting slugs out of it at all, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.