Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear opinions before I plunk down bucks on a lease in N. FL. Will continued "lock down" close deer hunting this coming season?
Best,
Steven

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,160 Posts
Depends on the state. Some have closed things, some have not.
Check local DFW websites.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Why would it close down hunting? Are you hunting in a very large group of people? Hunting and fishing are about as good a way to practice social distancing as you can think of. Here in New York State, the epicenter of the pandemic, they're encouraging fishing as a good way to get outside and staying safe. I don't think you have anything to worry about, just plan on going.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
As Darkker says it will vary State to State I would assume because politicians and their assitants are just as mixed up in the USA as they are here in the UK. We normally at this time of year would be shooting over newly sown crops to help farmers but one police area says no way and the next one says OK but give us a call first to tell us where you will be. No point in contacting Government Agencies because they just cannot make decisions like that, so you get a big NO!! Self isolating in a hedgerow in a field on your own has to be one of the safest places to be as would be you stalking quietly through your hunting lease.
We can all use our common sense and maintain our distances etc.
We have the same problem but one of my farmers has signed a letter giving me KEY WORKER status, so I can travel to his farm to control verminous things, foxes, deer and corvids and I think that is the way around the problem here in the UK.
I sincerely hope y'allll have a most enjoyable and succesful hunting season. Wish I was in the Texas Hill Country just now it must be so pretty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Top of the list to not close down hunting is money. Bambi generates alot of income. Here in Wisconsin one year of no hunting would mean horrendous crop damage next year. Car/deer crash would more than double. Think follow the money. It's a long list

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
I'm going hunting. Never sure what the politicians might say about and really don't care.

If looking at lease land, this would be a good year to pay for a three day hunt just to check it out. I wouldn't pay for long lease in advance and hope common sense prevails.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Many states have closed hunting already. they do it one out of two ways (unconstitutional).

The either just close the season. OR they close it to non-residents. Alaska and others have done this. They say people coming into the state MUST quarantine for 14 days. That means, right now you must arrive 14 days ahead of your hunt and hunker down in a motel, order in. then you can go hunting. that makes a hunt by non-residents, expensive.

Are they enforcing it? how? different states, different methods. Certainly doubt you could buy a non-resident license in the state....early purchase on-line maybe.

Got this from a national/international outfitter (Big):
Not sure how this will all shake out. Naturally the spring hunts were mostly cancelled. I was to be in Alaska next month for a brown bear hunt, but Alaska closed the season. Most states basically closed spring turkey hunts to out of state hunters. Canada has the border closed now, but hope it opens before July 15 for the start of the NWT sheep season. Africa has it’s borders closed, for how long? If this pursues into the fall with travel and season closing it could be a real mess. We are just hoping for the best. I tell hunters just use common sense and realize everyone is taking a hit and if we all try to make things work the best we can it will be much better.

Any hunts that have been cancelled we give our commission back, but we cannot speak for the outfitters as they all have their own policies. So far all the cancelled hunts have had the deposits returned, at least for our hunters and that is saying something as most outfitters have already used the deposits to pay leases and I don’t see the landowners being so generous as to be not keeping the money. Most of them are cattlemen and that market is really dried up so they probably need the money to stay afloat. Keep your fingers crossed for this fall.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Outdoor activities all OK in Texas, especially fishing and hunting. I know of multiple posts of pix of exotic game taken since this virus fiasco began. Also a friend that has shot hogs, turkey, and exotics right along.
Also see boats buzzing about on area lakes.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
Yep. Only if idiots prevail. A few places have had boat ramps closed (which makes NO sense whatsoever) but hopefully the voters will remember this come November.

Hunting season will not be closed in Texas, I predict. Nearly all of the hunting is on private land anyway, not that anyone should be shoulder-to-shoulder in the hunting fields, under any circumstances.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You can bet hunting season will be business as usual here in Idaho! I hope to be out there, health allowing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Toss up

I got an email from Idaho that they were suspending non resident lice and tag sales. Then 2 weeks later another from them saying non residents could still purchase a lice to apply for the controlled hunts for fall. Then another email a week later restructuring the non resident list of what we could apply for. So the finely figured out they were going to have a major shortfall in funds by not selling to non residents.
Still haven't bought mine and will wait a few more weeks to apply.

Here in Oregon they had stopped all outfitters from guided fishing trips and hunts for now. One of the outfitters I know in K Falls had to cancel all of his sage rat hunts. That's a big chunk of money lost to him.
That part of his business can be 1k a day loss for the next 8 weeks. All state park boat ramps are closed as well as BLM boat ramps. Was told by a friend that said BLM said they may get the okay to reopen them shortly.

Waiting to see what happens in CO. We're booked for 3rd season again on our annual guided elk and deer hunt. I would suspect by then there would be no problem.
But then again what's going to be the new norm after this?

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Depends on who you believe, and just how "compliant" our society proves to be.

Odds are good there will be another significant outbreak this coming fall, peaking in October or November. Whether or not we go back on lock down is hard to say.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rumor has it we'll get our fishing seasons opened about May 4th here in Washington; that's a month late for some of them. I did buy a license, when I got my combo deer license, so they'll hafta fork back a bunch of change if they don't have H&F seasons. Some of the boat launches are traditionally a real zoo for the opener, so I can see how this fits with the "social distancing" thing, but we're still in a "stay home" lockdown and danged few of the local tackle shops are functional now. Best guess is that we'll have both seasons once the worst of this is over--if it gets over; my county still has deaths on the rise. I'm on a fixed income (which has now become a good thing!) and I'm trying to keep my local spending fairly constant, so as to avoid losing too many local businesses, but I'm not buying much big box or online right now; let Caboomboom's and Wallyworld take care of themselves.
windy

·
Registered
967 Posts
I checked by phone with several state game departments regarding fall hunting, tags, draws, etc. I was told virtually the same by all of them--they can't say for sure, but are moving and acting as though fall hunting will be normal. I asked about refunds if seasons are closed to non-residents and the answers varied from yes they will be refunded to "I don't know" to no refunds will be made, depending on the state. I suggest that you each do the same regarding states you are considering hunting in to aid in making your decisions.

People with spring Brown Bear hunts scheduled in Alaska really got burned. Most outfitters said they couldn't make refunds because they didn't have the funds--and many hunters had already paid much more beyond deposits. Also, they couldn't reschedule hunters because they are already booked up for at least a year, generally two. And I don't know as a fact, but was told that the state did not offer tag refunds, $1000 by itself. Bummer!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am hoping its a go here, but one will just have to wait and see. I don't really think anyone can say for sure, one way or the other. Crystal ball needed!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Why would it close down hunting? Are you hunting in a very large group of people? Hunting and fishing are about as good a way to practice social distancing as you can think of. Here in New York State, the epicenter of the pandemic, they're encouraging fishing as a good way to get outside and staying safe. I don't think you have anything to worry about, just plan on going.

Have to get things lined up for mail in ballots-first week in NOV.
In the mean time check and see what the (D) proposed latest bailout will cover--yuk-yuk. Thank you Pelosi--2000 pages.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I got an email from Idaho that they were suspending non resident lice and tag sales. Then 2 weeks later another from them saying non residents could still purchase a lice to apply for the controlled hunts for fall. Then another email a week later restructuring the non resident list of what we could apply for. So the finely figured out they were going to have a major shortfall in funds by not selling to non residents.
Still haven't bought mine and will wait a few more weeks to apply.

Here in Oregon they had stopped all outfitters from guided fishing trips and hunts for now. One of the outfitters I know in K Falls had to cancel all of his sage rat hunts. That's a big chunk of money lost to him.
That part of his business can be 1k a day loss for the next 8 weeks. All state park boat ramps are closed as well as BLM boat ramps. Was told by a friend that said BLM said they may get the okay to reopen them shortly.

Waiting to see what happens in CO. We're booked for 3rd season again on our annual guided elk and deer hunt. I would suspect by then there would be no problem.
But then again what's going to be the new norm after this?

With the rip off to NR hunters we all should tell em where to put em for 3 or 4 years and see how they like it.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
CRAZY!!
The situation here in the UK has now eased considerably as Government realise it is possible to go fishing and shooting without any danger from catching or passing on any virus. We can now hunt deer in season and control vermin and in addition can go fishing as long as social distancing is maintained. Ok this may mean one rod per boat but bank fishing has always been a well spaced situation
There is little doubt here in the UK that the ANTI Brigade are attempting to use the situation to stop shooting but I am afraid they will lose the battle.
I hope your States see some sense and you get back in the woods soon, it's just common sense.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
hong kong flu 1968-69
This pandemic of 1968 and 1969 killed an estimated one million people worldwide. The pandemic infected an estimated 500,000 Hong Kong residents, 15% of the population, with a low death rate. In the United States, about 100,000 people died.

mmmmmmmm.......wasn't that the year of woodstock? makes ya wonder?

Reactions: bsn
1 - 20 of 22 Posts