Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that if there was a 50special cartridge they could use the 2 lb
pistols that now shoot 44mag without having to tote around the 5 pound
pistols that shoot the SW 50 magnum.

Five shots in the cylinder ... maybe even four if they cant be fit into
the regular 44 mag cylinders.

I think it would sell well. I guess I should also ask if anyone makes 50 special ammo?

·
Registered
628 Posts
After seeing the 500Mag complete with sling swivels, I figured they would put a sixteen inch barrel on it, and a collapsible butt-stock, and sell it as an ultralight hunting rifle!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Clements makes a 50 special (1.4") for the Ruger's on a 5 shot cylinder. Its still a heavy gun, whether it will be made in Ti or Sc is up to S&W, I think it could sell well if it was at least a 4" gun

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I don't know if it is or not, Clement's version is the same length as a .44 Mag case.

I think MikeG has a few JRH guns, maybe he will chime in.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,121 Posts
I have a Magnum Research chambered in .500 JRH, yes. While I don't have the specs for a .50 Special, I can tell you that a .500 JRH is a .500 S&W case, shortened to just under 1.4" with a rim diameter of about 0.545" so it can also be used in a Freedom Arms revolver. The Magnum Research gun I have is basically a 5-shot super blackhawk.

The cartridge was created by Jack Huntington and he has a website with contact info if you need more information. He does conversions on single and double-action Rugers and also Freedom Arms.

Performance is near-identical to the Freedom Arms .500 Wyoming Express and according to Jack, FA discussed chambering the JRH cartridge before they went their own route.

My gun is quite accurate with 400gr. Sierras and I put 3 of them in about 4" last weekend, with open sights at 100 yards. I don't do a lot of long-range handgunning and needless to say was quite surprised myself at the accuracy.

Hope that helps.......

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Whats the matter guy's can't stand that boat achor S&W 500!!! Then step down to a real pistol and shoot 454 Casull SRH -can carry all day long, and shoot mouse 45 LC's with out the weight! Can kill anything the 500 can just as dead!:D

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Whats the matter guy's can't stand that boat achor S&W 500!!! Then step down to a real pistol and shoot 454 Casull SRH -can carry all day long, and shoot mouse 45 LC's with out the weight! Can kill anything the 500 can just as dead!:D
I've got an SRH in .475 Linebaugh and one in .500 LInebaugh......:D

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've got an SRH in .475 Linebaugh and one in .500 LInebaugh......:D

Not to mention my 50 Alaskan 5 shot revolver.. All the recoil one could ever want

·
Banned
502 Posts
Why do you need a revolver in 50 Special? I need only one shot with my Contender. If I need a second shot, I ever am getting old or the elephant was bigger than I thought.

I find that a good hunter and marksman only requires one shot and if I need a thunder boomer pistol I get out my 444 Marlin Contender.

But then again if I want a 50 caliber handgun, I would go with a Barrett type pistol.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Why do you need a revolver in 50 Special? I need only one shot with my Contender. If I need a second shot, I ever am getting old or the elephant was bigger than I thought.

I find that a good hunter and marksman only requires one shot and if I need a thunder boomer pistol I get out my 444 Marlin Contender.

But then again if I want a 50 caliber handgun, I would go with a Barrett type pistol.

Jerry
Why would you need a second shot? Perhaps because in the real world "stuff" happens and maybe your first shot wasn't nearly as perfect as you believe it was and God forbid you need to follow it up with another. Some animals seem to have a disconnect between their brains and bodies and don't readily succomb to their wounds or get the message that they are dead. Oh, and try wearing your contender on you hip in a holster all day long. There are pleanty of reasons for multiple shot capability and I have found that the bigger holes tend to bleed more than small ones.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I have never needed a second shot when I have been game hunting, in the army that is a different situation. When I am out hunting in my fields, I carry my L Frame as a backup, but never needed it.

As I mentioned, if one shot doesn't do it, then I am getting old or the elephant was bigger than I thought. I take a weapon that is appropriate for the game I am hunting then figure out that I need to take the next more powerful caliber as my main weapon for hunting.

Jerry

·
Banned
502 Posts
I forgot to mention that if I needed a second round with my Contender, I can reload rather fast.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I forgot to mention that if I needed a second round with my Contender, I can reload rather fast.

Jerry

But not as fast as I can pull the hammer back on my revolver.......

Do you do much hunting, Jerry? Usually when folks say "never" and "hunting" in the same sentence it means they don't get out in the field much. You know the stories: I've never lost an animal, I've never missed an animal, etc..... Sooner or later we all miss, we all lose an animal, we all require a second -- and occasionally a third shot.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I was out in my fields 20 minutes ago, looking for ground hogs. I have a 3 acre backyard and a 907 acre farm.

Plus I have 100 yard rifle range with a earth mound type of backstop and a shooter bench at 100 yards. From my deck I have aq clear 148 yard range to the backstop, so I can shoot ground hogs in the morning while having my tea.

Everyday I practice my shooting with one or another rifle, pistol or shotgun.

Jerry

·
Banned
502 Posts
Here is a picture of my backyard. Plenty of room to shoot, let my black lab run and play, We grow our household veggies there and every year I get two or three deer from my backdoor.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is a range in the basement of my office, so I too shoot a lot -- and I reload, etc. But, shooting isn't hunting and deer season is but once a year. Do you hunt big game the off season if I may ask?

·
Banned
502 Posts
Yes I do, Later this year I am going to Thailand. I am hoping to afford going to Tasmania next fall or maybe the year after.

My Unle Walter and my father were great sportsmen and traveled to places that I can not go. Both hunted around the world. I still have most of uncle Walters rifles.

Hunting season isn't over, Ground Hog season and Coyote season with high powered rifles has opened up around me. The critters change, but the hunting remains.

I practice on my range, where windage and drop remain a part of the skill of a marksman.

So you have a hundred yard range in the basement where you work?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No, but my weekend range is out to 200 where we regularly practice with our handguns -- not hand rifles, but real, honest-to-goodness, big-bore revolvers. I get a lot trigger time as well. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, but claiming to never need more than one shot is the mark of inexperience. Do you get my drift?

Yes, windage and elevation are an integral part of marksmanship, so what is your point?

What will you be hunting in Thailand?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts