1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't see a problem. I shoot a lot of gas check cast bullets without the gas checks installed. They work just as well at lower speeds.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I suspect not. Diameter of bullet + diameter of added paper must be concidered before sending one down-range!

I'm iterested myself. Never got past that. A feller named "Frank" gave me some good links and such to books on paper patching. Do a search on this board for "paper patch" and see what happens?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
560 Posts
The lee sizer and the regular gas check mold will work but you have to special order a sizer from lee to reduce the bullets before wrapping them with paper and then you will need a sizer to size them after the patch has dried. If your bore is .312 you would probably have to reduce the bullets to something like .302 and then wrap up to say .314 and then size them to .312 after the patches have dried. I am trying to figure out paper patching myself and the info i listed here is just some of the info i got from experienced guys in this field.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, sizing twice seems unnecessary. That's why mold selection for size is important. My question is more towards using a cast bullet that normally gets a gas check....I'm going for it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, sizing twice seems unnecessary. That's why mold selection for size is important. My question is more towards using a cast bullet that normally gets a gas check....I'm going for it.
Using a bullet intended for gas checks is the reason sizing twice is necessary...at least this is the info i have gathered on the subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts