Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone remember these. They were like the Sears catalogs for shooters.

I dug up this Williams from 1963. It is not in great shape, but I am still able to go through it.

Anything you want looked up, let me know.

I really wish I had an old Herter's catalog. They were like the JCrew of the 60's. lol

eBay has them, but for a pretty penny.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Isolation reading.

JWS, Good going thru those old catalogues, I've been
reading some Shooters Journals from the 60/70's and
sure would like to buy at those prices, which at the
time we thought were pricey.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I now live about 15 miles from Williams gun sight company. In recent years they did a big addation to the place so it is even bigger.
I enjoy going in there and looking at all the used guns but that isn't to awful good a thing to do. I have bought many from them.

Herters had their catologs come for years when I was in high school. ordered many a rod making supply from them to build fishing rods. Also ordered lure bodies and made them up to sell to school mates.
Bought my Mec 600 Jr 16 gauge reloader from them, it is so old it doesn't have the bar that you change bushings to change a load.

Also bought my portable pigion thrower from them the old red deivl brand.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
Please learn to properly size photos for best fit on the board. Go to the first "Sticky" in the General Discussion forum regarding Posting Photos, post #13 in particular for info.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Still got one, good read. Also have their Reloading Manual, better reading.

Remember Herter's Wasp Waist Sonic bullets...they were the best made, or so Herter said.

·
Registered
253 Posts
got my first camo from herters in the 60s and who doesnt remember the vit glodo indian duck call!

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
I've never seen a Williams catalog, but Herter's and Stoeger's Shooter's Bible were how I learned to read. I have a collection of both.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pre internet and Amazon ...Herter's was my main supplier of everything .
Still have one of my last Herters catalog ....dated 1968 .
I would spend hours reading that wonderous Herter's catalog , save up my grass cutting money and get my mom to write a check to Herter's for whatever I wanted .... usually took about two weeks for the mailman to bring your
package . They carried everything , stock blanks , reloading tools , guns , ammo fishing rods , reels nets baits , do-it-yourself bait making and fly tying kits , boats , paddles ... and much more .
I got my first catalog in 1960 and would get a new one each year until about 1978 when the catalog sales started dropping off and then the company filed for bankruptcy in 1981 .
Man I sure do miss Herter's ...they were the best!
Gary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still using a Herter’s predator call purchased in 1960, or thereabouts (jack rabbit). Too bad they are gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who can ever forget Hudson Bay, and how that brand was the best at everything and anything! This is said in jest, that though I never ordered from Herters, I lusted more over their catalogs growing up, than I did magazines (not going into detail what type of magazine!). I picked up a Herter catalog a few years ago, from an antique shop. Ah, the rememberances!

An uncle of mine did have a Herter reloading press and powder scale. Don't remember anything that was either positive or negative about it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
Herter's press and dies had their own unique thread size and pitch. You could get adapters to convert them, though. Also, the presses were fairly heavy outfits.
Always got a chuckle out of the 25 cent spoons or spinner baits taking a 3/4 page of virtues extolling the items. :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Yea, those 25 cent 4' spoons (almost a Dardevle spoon) but they only weighed 1/16 ounce, couldn't cast them much at all.

But they were the "world best lure....Lenard Herter caught 42 northerns in 20 minutes" honestly!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The Herter's "Funny Fish" were fantastic for light salt water fishing. I used the smallest size on ultra-lite spinning tackle to catch pompano and reds and a flat shiny fish we called "Look Downs" that were excellent eating. I bought Funny Fish 100 at a time, along with the hooks and split rings. Still have some in the attic.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,441 Posts
A six station Herters press on the left. It has 7/8x14 threads in 5 holes and one with some odd 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 by 16 (?) with an adapter to 7/8x14.

It was given to me 35 years ago along with a few shell holders and a Herters powder measure.

RJ

I need to get a better picture :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
In 1966, Herter's was flooded and a lot of inventory was lost. There were over a hundred maple stock blanks that were muddy and had gotten wet. Herter's gave them to Colorado School of Trades for the price of shipping. It was clear to see which ones got 'really' wet and which ones didn't. I made a stock out of a rifle blank that cost fifty cents. It's still stable today.
Anything named Hudson Bay, Model Perfect Supreme HAS to be good, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
In 1971 my wife and I moved to West Palm Beach where I started my dream job. The Herters catalog was my dream book. High on the list was the 17' Wilderness Model Square Stern Canoe. Next was a Mark U9 Custom Hunter's Grade Rifle in 270 Win. Never got either one. Dreams are one thing and reality is another. I did get a canoe, but it was an aluminum Grumman square stern. I had no use for the rifle in West Palm Beach. By the time I got back into the deer woods Herter's rifle was a thing of the past and a Ruger took its place. I am sure I was better served by what I ended up with. But, I will always wonder.

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
I know nothing about canoes but you hit it lucky to skip the imported BSA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts