Shooters Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Herters

I know nothing about canoes but you hit it lucky to skip the imported BSA.
The big Grumman was about 40 pounds lighter than the fiberglass Herters and I am sure it was much easier for one guy to handle. I used it for duck hunting in the marsh on Lake Okeechobee. It worked great with a weed cutter attachment for my small outboard and a push pole, using a Herters Duck BIll push pole head, no less. I used that push pole head for probably 20 more years. We used it with the pirogue on Boeuf River behind the house after we moved back to Louisiana. Eventually, it fell apart in the river. Sad to see it go.

Yeah, the gun was probably a bad idea. Still, I wish I had one, just for grins.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
Ordered two of the U9's in 1965. One bbl'd action in.222RM and the other in .243 Win. Also ordered a Cherrywood stock for the .243 and a black walnut for the 222. Spent an enjoyable winter working them up and scoping. With what I can't remember. The .243 went to a fellow shooter who really liked the way it handled and shot. The 222 was later swapped (along with a 6.5 Arisaka) for a Winchester Super Grade in .300 H&H made prior to WW:II. Always thought highly of those BSA actioned rifles.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,441 Posts
As "promised" a better picture of the famed Herter's press

The "wrench" is for loosening and tightening the "jamb nut" so after the turret is turned it can be retightend.

RJ

Reactions: gunpa

·
Registered
5 Posts
I loved the Herters catalog back in the early 70's and when my family took a vacation to Wyoming to see my Grandparents, we stopped by Mitchell South Dakota to see Herters main headquarters. Williams gunsight is about 100 miles from me and I stop in when going up north to deer hunt, very small shop.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts